Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 03 onwards mpg...

I know, I know, don't buy a v6 petrol behemoth if mpg bothers you, I'm just looking for some advice from owners who may do the same kind of miles I do. Some weeks I cover almost 1000 miles, I am self employed so utilise the pence per mile approach to tax returns, and whilst a more economical car means more money in my bank, I spend a lot of time IN my car and do love a Lexus. So, my commute is Dundee to Aberdeen return four days a week or Dundee to Edinburgh return four days a week, each of these once a month. I commute Dundee to Perth four nights a week week in week out. So, essentially ninety percent dual carriageway top gear cruise. I am a very steady driver, fifty to fifty five mph on cruise most of the time, rarely above sixty. I know, boring auld git. Anyhow, I know town mpg in an old rx would be ruinous, but with the driving style and mileage I do, would low thirties be achievable as that Is my breaking point? 

Would love a hybrid but still to rich for my meagre pockets. I ran an ls400 for several months and averaged 26-28mpg with 33mpg on longer runs, so quite light footed. 

Before we had our RX300 converted to LPG, the best I managed out of it was about 20 around town with about 26 on a run - and I'm no Sterling Moss (or Lewis Hamilton for the young 'uns).

Hybrids are great for lots of stop/start and town driving up to about 30mph where the traction Battery tends to do most of the work in 'milk float mode', but once you get much above that they just become ordinary petrol-driven cars that have to lug the weight of a huge Battery around.

You'll see from my sig that I use fuelly.com to keep track of mileage (more as a novelty than any serious use) and I must confess that I haven't updated it in a while but I'll get round to it in the next couple of days. In the meantime, below are three screen grabs that I did a few months ago. The great thing about Fuelly is that you can compare your own car to others but I must point out that because fuel prices vary around the country the figures are of very limited value. To get anywhere near a true figure I'd need people living in the same area as myself to compare with so that we know we're paying the same prices for fuel but as yet I've not found anyone, so take these figures with a pinch of salt - but you'll get the point.

Most expensive is a petrol-only RX300 at 22.5p/mile, then an RX400h at 19.6p/mile and finally, my LPG RX300 at just 12.6p/mile:

fuelly2.jpg.dcaa710a1b6ebad5a2cd797ad7a3f186.jpg

fuel400h.jpg.2e203e559c7bcd36ebf6411f2a30a803.jpg

fuelly1.jpg.b1dc76cb3346233d3479782d80e5ec9d.jpg

• Like 1

I did similar but less sophisticated sums before I bought an RX350 in 2014.  Essentially the RX450 would have cost over 50% more than the RX350 and that buys quite a lot of petrol.  Although I am not convinced it is necessary many have suggested that the hybrids should always be serviced by Lexus agents so there is a saving there to set against the higher Road tax.  I am not sure about insurance but I suspect it would be higher for a hybrid.  Not a lot in it overall.  There is also the difference between them in the type of auto gearbox and the AWD of the 300/350 and the alternating front wheel and 4WD of the hybrids.  I haven't driven a hybrid yet but like the 350 a lot.  It's a really lovely car.  All that said we only do about 5000 miles a year so well below you.  I get about 26-28  on a 400 mile run back from France which is omainly n motorway or dual and only about 60Km on country roads.  Running about in France and UK I get about 22-24.  I doubt very much if you would get as much with a 300 which generally seem to be a bit thirstier than the 350.

I got around 20mpg average out of my gen2 RX300 doing a 16 mile each way commute through 50% stop start traffic plus motorway 50-70mph. On a motorway 200 mile each way trip at 70-80mph I would get about 24mpg. Swapped it for a CT200 to save money, big mistake and I still miss the RX300. Now driving a gen4 RX450h for the last month an averaging 39mpg calculated on the same commute which is only around 3mpg less than my previous is300h so actually really happy

41 minutes ago, PCM said:

In my RX300 I get about 26 around town, up to about 31mpg.

I reckon that's pretty good.

:yes:

That's amazingly good Piers - are you going by the car's computer or by 'real world' calculation?

2 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

That's amazingly good Piers - are you going by the car's computer or by 'real world' calculation?

By the computer.

But my foot is 'easy' - my Soarer days are over :(

And that can be on B,A and M roads...

( I like a bit of Archoil too - I think it DOES work )

4 minutes ago, PCM said:

By the computer.

But my foot is 'easy' - my Soarer days are over :(

And that can be on B,A and M roads...

( I like a bit of Archoil too - I think it DOES work )

Ah right, fair enough. I don't know about the Archoil (never used it) but in my experience the computers are always on the high side. According to mine, it managed 29.6 but good old-fashioned pen and paper calculations of how much fuel I put in the tank vs miles travelled never gave me more than 26 - and that was driving like Miss Daisy :biggrin:

• Like 2

I'm in Dundee too, and my wife's 2005 RX 300 has done a best of 28 mpg on the run to Aberdeen and back. That is cruising at 70 mph. In town it does between 19 - 20mpg - average overall is very low 20's. Our daughter in law has one as well and it's mpg returns are very similar. We like the car as it's great for grand kids, but for non grandkid journeys and for conveying elderly relatives, I use my LS400 which just managed a 32 mpg average to Helensburgh via Dalgety Bay last week - and not hanging about either.

Give me a shout if you'd like to have a look at the RX, or just a chat.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Given my propensity to waft along with cruise on, sounds like mid thirties might JUST be achievable. I have not sold my current cars yet so all this may be spurious for now. I am considering X5 and xc90 for diesel option and I guess I am making mistake of comparing them all to my current 45mpg supermini, whereas is should be comparing them to each other.  If for arguments sake, the diesels can return mid thirties and the Lexus about thirty, the difference is not huge. Lexus likely to have been more sympathetically owned too! 

Thanks for the offer to see rx, may take you up on that! God I miss my ls400!!

No probs George. However, I can't see an RX 300 doing 30mpg. One thing about the RX series is that they do suffer from underbody rust, so check very carefully. You can have a drive in the wife's one if you like to see if it suits you.

Pete

Big difference in economy running at 50/55 as compared to 70 where your wife is getting 28mpg? Particularly with a mobile barn door like an rx! Not set on an either or yet, my ridiculous eclectic car buying history suggests am as likely to end up with a direct opposite type of car!!

• 1 month later...

OK , sold my wee car yesterday so actively looking for rx. There is one nearby which I can't view till weekend, what should I be looking for, it's a 2005 se and it's mot history seems decent. 

What were you running George, if I may ask? Your LS400 has gone/sold? What are you using at the moment?

Advice would be NOT to go for the X5 due to reliability issues.

John's (Sorcerer) cost calculation for running on LPG against a standard car and the hybrid is very informative. 

I am picking up an RX 300 tomorrow (photos to follow on a separate thread)  but it will not necessarily be my main car, especially for town driving. From all I have read on here you would get better mpg from an LS 400. On a motorway run I can average nearly 30 mpg in my LS 400. I will consider converting the RX to LPG if it becomes the family's main car. The one I am buying is on an 04 plate so I am not sure whether it would be worth all the hassle and expense. 

You (and I!) need to do the maths to see the EXTRA it will cost you on fuel. I never mind spending a little more using the LS 400 for longer runs, as it is such a lovely car to drive. I can fully understand that when you are spending a lot of time in a car, you want the experience to be as pleasant as possible. Your 50 mile round trip, Perth to Dundee, would make me think twice about the cost. I would think a hybrid would not really suit the sort of commute you are doing on motorways. Diesel, unfortunately, would be your best option. Not sure if you would consider an IS 2.5 litre V6 or IS 220D as an alternative? To keep in the Lexus stable? You really do have a dilemma and I fully understand the pull of the RX - as I have bought one. 

Please keep us informed of what you decide. Good luck with the hunt! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gbneil said:

OK , sold my wee car yesterday so actively looking for rx. There is one nearby which I can't view till weekend, what should I be looking for, it's a 2005 se and it's mot history seems decent. 

Here is a check list that I put together with the help of a fellow member (Rayaans). I may have missed something, others will add to it I am sure.

Make sure you are happy with the MOT check AND the service history - preferably Lexus.

Hope this helps - I took this list along when I viewed the car and ticked off each item as I tested it. 

RX300 Checklist

Electrics

Sunroof – fully opens and shuts.

Water ingress – check carpets in foot wells and boot.

Cup holder – make sure it opens!

Keys – how many? Does remote work on all keys?

Seat Adjustment:-

Passenger seat         1              2              3

Drivers Seat            1              2              3   and squab

Door Mirrors                   1              2 + Folding

Windows                 1              2              3              4

Seat Memory settings             1              2

Steering adjustment motors work

Air con - cold

CD player

Power Tailgate works and struts hold door open.

4 x doors shut with same sound – solid!

Oil – check colour – should be clean if it has been serviced regularly.

Auto Transmission fluid – red colour NOT BROWN!

Wheels – are they tarnished badly?

Check under car mats if fitted

Bonnet struts

• Thanks 1

I have changed from an LS400 to an RX450H and find the change welcome, if not expensive. I travelled from Sussex to Tyne and Wear yesterday a journey of just over 300 miles and showed an average mpg of 31.3 mpg travelling on the M23 M25 A1 and A19 at legal speeds. The hybrid part comes into its own when creeping on the M25 in traffic queues.

I find the RX easier and more comfortable to drive than my LS which being DHP was that bit lower than the standard model, and I enjoy the higher driving position and the view it affords. The extra toys help also. my wife prefers the RX as it is easier for her to enter and exit, and there is lots of room for her disability scooter. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all replies, my ls400 is long gone , a car I should NEVER have sold. Since then I have had tdi beetle cabrio, tdi golf, mitsubishi L200, Honda accord v6 coupe, 20k mile streetka and Mercedes w169 a150 three door. Oh and a wonderful 30K mile from new showroom '97 Volvo 940...should NEVER have sold ka or Volvo. You see a pattern emerging? It's the baby Mercedes I have sold and am presently running around in my old beetle again which gets passed around the family like a well worn sweatshirt. 

Mpg not such a worry now, have talked my Mrs into taking the new car to replace her old BMW z3 which she adores, but is a bit tired. Shortlist so far is Hyundai terracan or shogun or other full size four by four, not comparable to rx I know, X5 and xc90 have been scrubbed because of reliability. My favourite would be rx but if you know my car history am as likely to buy a panda!!! Will keep you all posted, thanks again. 

• Like 1

Today just picked up a RX 300 from Northampton and drove to Deal in Kent. Apart from a massive traffic jam, caused by the M1 being closed between junctions 14 and 15, the journey was a real eye opener. I will give my thoughts, with some photos, in another thread. I can well understand why you might wish to forgive the economy and run an RX. My first impressions on owning a car are usually quite negative but as time goes by I can begin to really appreciate a good vehicle. The RX has had the opposite effect. I am VERY impressed so far ........... time and experience will tell.

• Like 2

On 15/08/2017 at 7:50 PM, Gbneil said:

I know, I know, don't buy a v6 petrol behemoth if mpg bothers you, I'm just looking for some advice from owners who may do the same kind of miles I do. Some weeks I cover almost 1000 miles, I am self employed so utilise the pence per mile approach to tax returns, and whilst a more economical car means more money in my bank, I spend a lot of time IN my car and do love a Lexus. So, my commute is Dundee to Aberdeen return four days a week or Dundee to Edinburgh return four days a week, each of these once a month. I commute Dundee to Perth four nights a week week in week out. So, essentially ninety percent dual carriageway top gear cruise. I am a very steady driver, fifty to fifty five mph on cruise most of the time, rarely above sixty. I know, boring auld git. Anyhow, I know town mpg in an old rx would be ruinous, but with the driving style and mileage I do, would low thirties be achievable as that Is my breaking point? 

Would love a hybrid but still to rich for my meagre pockets. I ran an ls400 for several months and averaged 26-28mpg with 33mpg on longer runs, so quite light footed. 

Hate to put a downer on things but honestly regardless of driving style if you're hoping for an average for 30mpg from the Rx300 then to be straight you are going to be dissapointed.

Go in wide eyes open, that's all. 

• Like 1

I will fill mine up and do a check, but I am only expecting to get about 22mpg average. If it is higher, then great. I am expecting my LS400 to be better on fuel overall. Again it just depends where and how hard you drive. Even with a very light right foot, I doubt you will get much more than high teens just around town.

• Like 1