Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am looking at updating the seats for some 2010 leather alcanter does any one know if its a straight swop. Would Battery after be disconnected due to air bags? 

The 2010 do not have cooled seats, so that would just be left off unless it has fittings under the seat.

Seat swap is straight job, I am not sure about airbags though.

I personally dislike UK F-sport seats i.e. half leather/half alcantara (which is basically plastic bag ~68% polyester). EU/US models have same design, but alcantara bits are made from same premium leather as the rest of the seat.

Not quite true about ventilated seats - only Advance and poverty line SE had no Ventilated seats. F-sport, SE-i and SE-L still had ventilated heated seats until the end of production (~2013).

I guess best best to upgrade are IS-F seats, obviously everyone to their own but I consider F-sport seats as downgrade.

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

Not quite true about ventilated seats - only Advance and poverty line SE had no Ventilated seats. F-sport, SE-i and SE-L still had ventilated heated seats until the end of production (~2013).

I guess best best to upgrade are IS-F seats, obviously everyone to their own but I consider F-sport seats as downgrade.

Not quite true. 2010 onwards f sport seats are not ventilated

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

Not quite true. 2010 onwards f sport seats are not ventilated

So just to be clear that means UK F-sport IS250 never came with ventilated seats... though 

Sorry, might be another difference from EU/US spec then - my 2012 EU F-sport had ventilated seats.... so not only they are made from  plastic, but they are not even ventilated... I understand the looks preference, but that just reinforces my opinion they are downgrade from standard leather.

What is for sure IS-F seats are heated and ventilated.

Well they are not the same seats - Alcantara is UK only thing (maybe some other RHD markets). US/EU models has leather instead - same design with slightly harder bolsters, no so much bigger than standard. 

I like alcantara looks and I am sure it feels quite good, that is because it is designed not to slip as the leathers so probably gives you more support/stability.

What I cannot get over is that is is basically plastic bag, which cost literally nothing to make and no animal was killed in the process (yes I know cruel).. yet I am still charged for as of "premium" material. There are alternatives such as natural suede which I ten consider on par and worth paying for. I don't mind alcantara headlining... I know far too opinionated and picky - just the way I am.

IS-F or IS F-sport? I do agree on this one, my IS250 AWD had grey leather and I really disliked it, I don't mind cream, but as for used car I prefer black - stays looking good for far longer and you can only assume they are dirty because of slight shine.

39 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Well they are not the same seats - Alcantara is UK only thing (maybe some other RHD markets). US/EU models has leather instead - same design with slightly harder bolsters, no so much bigger than standard. 

I like alcantara looks and I am sure it feels quite good, that is because it is designed not to slip as the leathers so probably gives you more support/stability.

What I cannot get over is that is is basically plastic bag, which cost literally nothing to make and no animal was killed in the process (yes I know cruel).. yet I am still charged for as of "premium" material. There are alternatives such as natural suede which I ten consider on par and worth paying for. I don't mind alcantara headlining... I know far too opinionated and picky - just the way I am.

No your not been picky, if everyone liked the same then we would all be boring. Just something i thought looked and felt better.

The seats are more supportive as well. And also different shape back rest.I must say they were very comfy, and would not be as cold in winter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

IS-F or IS F-sport? I do agree on this one, my IS250 AWD had grey leather and I really disliked it, I don't mind cream, but as for used car I prefer black - stays looking good for far longer and you can only assume they are dirty because of slight shine.

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yes is f sport seats 

Should be a straight swap and the new seats would come with their own airbags built-in, but perhaps the electrical connectors underneath could be different due to F-Sport having no ventilation. And also because they're from '09-'11 face-lift era model where a number of under-the-skin changes took place.

4 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Should be a straight swap and the new seats would come with their own airbags built-in, but perhaps the electrical connectors underneath could be different due to F-Sport having no ventilation. And also because they're from '09-'11 face-lift era model where a number of under-the-skin changes took place.

I have sent them a few emails. Do not know even if seats are heated, told them where the fittings in the car are said can not find them?

Also said all white connectors so may not be a straight forward swap. Have not seen underneath my seats yet. Car had only done 29000 miles.

6 hours ago, madasahatter said:

Car had only done 29000 miles.

I think I have seen that set on eBay for £450 (might be different one) - from what I can see there the wear on drivers seat bolster suggest higher mileage. If pictures are anything to go by it seems more like 129000 miles... or F-Sport seats are not as good for wear, or it was city car doing a lot of short distances and a lot of in and out motion by the driver. I would say my 169000 miles bolster seems about the same if not little bit better.

f-sport.png.df5e6ce523aaeec05fff84a97902d5c7.png

I would agree that the F-Sport seats do wear quickly on the drivers bolster, this is the only wear on my car and was present from 30k when I bought my car! The lady who had owned the car before me and done that 30k mileage was only a very slight thing so think it must be a weak area on the F-Sport.

• Like 1

Same with my front seat and the cars only done just over 32k. The bolster is quite badly creased. I've rubbed leather conditioner into the seat but it's made no difference. 

My previous SE-L with double the milage hardly had any wear.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Same with my front seat and the cars only done just over 32k. The bolster is quite badly creased. I've rubbed leather conditioner into the seat but it's made no difference. 

My previous SE-L with double the milage hardly had any wear.

Yeah don't think leather conditioner can sort this type of wear unfortunately!

It's a shame as they are lovely seats, I've been very tempted to have my seat re-trimmed in something a lot more hard wearing but with the same look, its literally the only thing on my car that doesn't look like its just come out of the showroom

Presume Lexus have used a different type of leather on the F-Sport for some unknown reason other than possibly cost saving

• Like 1

Yes it is a shame the bolster seems to wear quicker on the F-sport but I much prefer them to my previous SE-L seats. I just love the comfy feel and the way the seats hug you.

Mine arn't ventilated like the SE-L but I don't mind that because I could hardly feel the cooling effect. The heated seats are lovely though on a cold and frosty morning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Yes it is a shame the bolster seems to wear quicker on the F-sport but I much prefer them to my previous SE-L seats. I just love the comfy feel and the way the seats hug you.

Mine arn't ventilated like the SE-L but I don't mind that because I could hardly feel the cooling effect. The heated seats are lovely though on a cold and frosty morning.

That was one thing i noticed on my test drive better seats by far. Snug as a bug and more supportive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dougie175 said:

Yeah don't think leather conditioner can sort this type of wear unfortunately!

It's a shame as they are lovely seats, I've been very tempted to have my seat re-trimmed in something a lot more hard wearing but with the same look, its literally the only thing on my car that doesn't look like its just come out of the showroom

Presume Lexus have used a different type of leather on the F-Sport for some unknown reason other than possibly cost saving

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

The bolsters on the F-Sport are more pronounced, hence the increased wear - you'll catch it more often than if getting into a car with normal seats.

With regard to the mileage covered - I expect more wear to be on an older car with less miles - it suggests short journeys and an "in,out, in, out" effect on the seats.

Seems to happen on all cars with bolsters - Audi super sport seats get ripped within a year.

• Like 1

I would argue that the wear is not because of airbags - In fact all IS mk2 has airbags in seats. I believe it is because of different angle of the bolsters on F-sport which is more aggressive to give better support and harder foam which is needed to keep those bigger bolsters in shape. I guess that then creates kind of ridge which gets in the way when getting in or out.

• Like 1

Agreed. It would seem due to their shape, that lower bolster wear is pretty much unavoidable on these seats. Both F-Sports that I've owned were creased in exactly the same way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk