Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 300h Premier Vs GS 300h Premier

Had an NX courtesy car yesterday whilst the GS was in for a bit of work and it occurred to me that I can’t for the life of me think why anyone would buy one over a GS. Especially as the list price is only £1,250 less than the GS. The NX appears to be one of Lexus’s best sellers whilst the GS is the worst (other than the LS). I was very disappointed with the equipment level compared to my GS and the overall quality didn’t seem as good either. Some of the switches and plastics appeared to be much lower in quality. The seats were a great disappointment with. Whereas the GS has 18 way adjustable seats with 3 memories for both the driver and passenger the NX only has 8 way adjustment and one memory for driver only. I also thought the overall design of the GS interior felt classier. However, that is purely subjective. The two other key areas where the GS surpasses the NX is the ride quality and handling. Both far superior in the GS and the GS has Sports + on top of the other three driving modes. I could not believe the fuel consumption of the NX either. It averaged in the high 30’s whereas mine averages high 40’s. That’s would end up much more expensive with the miles I do. I really do believe the GS is a hidden gem. I also like the fact that it’s pretty uncommon too. Or it could be I’m highly biased!

• Like 3

I can't really comment on the NX since the one they lent me was a basic spec, but I certainly can see what you are saying regarding the GS.

I too managed high 30's mpg, which is a lot less than the IS 300H's I have also tried.

GS's are definitely quite rare around my way.  i actually saw one the other day and wondered how long it had been since I had seen another.  Quite frustrating when you are considering one as your next car and are as picky about spec as i am. :smile:

i really wish Lexus Reading had a GS in their courtesy car fleet since I would like to try one.  They only have CT's, IS's and one NX, and I have tried all of these. :smile:

I've had, CT's, IS's, a GS F sport, an RX and an NX now as courtesy cars from Lexus Hedge End. They had an LC in the showroom yesterday but wouldn't let me take that! I'm picky about my spec too and when I wanted to trade in my IS 220 I was looking for an IS 300h Premier in Mesa Red with cream interior but they never had one. However, they they had a GS Premier in the right combination and I was sold. Best decision I made. Such a beautiful car to drive. I found the NX too jiggly with hard suspension but without the sure footed handling to match. The GS on the other hand wafts along in ECO, Normal and Sport modes and handles really tightly in Sport + but still with a pliant ride. With regards to rarity about a month ago spent a week driving up to and around Scotland and only saw three other GS Mk 4's. Just got back from a week in France and didn't see any! 

• Like 1

You saw 3 GS's?  They must like them in Scotland.  i have seen 2 in the last 6 months or so.

I have a IS 300h Sport with me today, and I have noticed it is a little hard over the broken tarmac that people in London take for roads.

Lexus Hedge End obviously like their customers better :smile:

Nah, but seriously, if you ever find yourself around Basingstoke way, let me know :smile:

Yeah, 3. But that was including the drive up and back from Hampshire!

I have a soft spot for  Lexus Hedge End. They've treated me well over the years. The GS was in for a leaky shock they noticed when I had a new tyre fitted. So yesterday they put two new ones on the back. They also changed the wiper blades as they noticed they weren't genuine Lexus ones. And they didn't charge for anything.

Don't get up to north Hampshire much (other than passing through) but will let you know if I plan a stopover!

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Quite frustrating when you are considering one as your next car and are as picky about spec as i am. :smile:

What spec are you looking for @Shahpor

I'm hunting for a Gs450h F Sport 2013ish black on black hopefully with the 12 inch screen! However it pains me that it doesn't have fogs. So now I'm torn between that or waiting a year or so for the face-lift to come into budget and going for the same but in blue. Also, I'm not a fan on the brushed aluminium either but that's a bit too picky :smile:

No fogs? I've got a lovely pair! The 12 inch screen is great as you can have two functions at the same time. I've got some sort of brown wood which looks beautiful against the tan interior. I was really lucky to get the spec I wanted. A case of being in the right place at the right time. Don't know what your local dealer is like but worth telling them what you want and they'll let you know when something is available even if not at their branch.

• Like 1

Well, unfortunately, I am not in a position to get anything at the moment.

I can't even find an example of what I would ideally like, so the closest example would be this:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-Premier-pbbjtmc

Although, preferably it would have a cream interior.  Also, a year or two newer.  However, if I found one I liked that was a 300h instead, then that would work.  I am thinking best case scenario here, so not everything is required.

It also doesn't seem to have the HUD fitted, which I thought was standard on the Premier?

• Like 1

Looks nice but a bit pricey. I paid 22 k for my 2014 300h with 36k miles., But I guess the 450 is more expensive. Don't know whether the 450 is worth the extra as have never driven one. Am well happy with the 300 performance especially in sport+ mode. However spend most of my time in normal which is more than adequate. But I guess it depends on what you're used to and wanting. One thing that intrigues me about the advert is that it says 8 inch screen. I thought all gs's had the 12 inch screen. Best to check before you see it. I'm a great lover of lexus's tan interior but like the look of that one. I've got the HUD which I think is standard on the premier. It's brilliant as I hardly ever look at the dials now and great in the continent as it can show kmph. It also mentions in the ad that it has three driving modes but I thought the premier has four as standard!

It can be a bit confusing, but some GS's did come with the smaller screen, like this one:

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-250/25VVTi-209bhp-sr-Navi-12-Levinson-auto-Luxury-r1bjvfv

Rest assured Alan that I am not looking to spend that much on a car anytime soon. :smile: It was just one of the only examples that I could show you with a similar spec to what I would be after.

I think you are right that the 450h commands a premium, and I also agree that I am not sure it is worth the extra.  Of course, having tried neither car, I am not exactly in a position to comment, but I am thinking that the GS is more of a relaxed cruiser that wouldn't need that extra performance very often.  Not that I would complain if I happened to get hold of one. :smile:

I will admit I don't mind the interior colour on the one I posted previously, and it would probably come a close second after cream.  Having said that, it would probably be easier to keep clean.

I think that one is a luxury not a premier, hence the smaler screen, but it does mention four driving modes! A good reason not to trust Lexus adverts! The GS is definitely a relaxed cruiser but also good on windy roads in sport+ mode. My IS before this also had cream leather and after seven years I had no problems keeping it clean. Hope I'm not tempting fate here! 😉

11 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

I think that one is a luxury not a premier, hence the smaler screen, but it does mention four driving modes! A good reason not to trust Lexus adverts! The GS is definitely a relaxed cruiser but also good on windy roads in sport+ mode. My IS before this also had cream leather and after seven years I had no problems keeping it clean. Hope I'm not tempting fate here! 😉

It is a luxury.Luxury comes with the big screen if it has the Mark Levinson. Or at least mine did!

11 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

4 driving modes could be eco, normal, sport and snow...

2 hours ago, Jamesf1 said:

It is a luxury.Luxury comes with the big screen if it has the Mark Levinson. Or at least mine did!

Trim levels are a minefield. At least with Lexus it's simpler than many manufactures who have endless lists of options!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

Yeah, 3. But that was including the drive up and back from Hampshire!

I have a soft spot for  Lexus Hedge End. They've treated me well over the years. The GS was in for a leaky shock they noticed when I had a new tyre fitted. So yesterday they put two new ones on the back. They also changed the wiper blades as they noticed they weren't genuine Lexus ones. And they didn't charge for anything.

Don't get up to north Hampshire much (other than passing through) but will let you know if I plan a stopover!

Lexus Hedge End are my local dealers and they are brilliant. It is thanks to them and their excellent service that I remain faithful to the brand. Our RX is booked in for its MOT tomorrow so I'll take a look at the LC. Maybe they'll loan it to me as a courtesy car... not!

They once gave me a GS300h F-Sport in white as a courtesy car for a couple of days and  was very impressed with the car. At least I was very impressed with the interior, the build quality and the level of comfort. I would agree that it is superior than the NX in a lot of ways but, and it is a big but, it is such a boring looking car!... although the facelifted version is a little more interesting. Their rarity is probably due to the fact that Lexus have pushed the car hard, with rare demo cars, meaning that only Lexus die-hard know that they exist. I think Lexus France must have had a different approach than their UK counterparts because the GS300h is a very popular choice as a taxi in large cities!

Still, it is now discontinued, so I guess there will be good deals on the few cars that are left in the system, if indeed there are any. I also suppose that they will make good second hand buys.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DanD said:

Lexus Hedge End are my local dealers and they are brilliant. It is thanks to them and their excellent service that I remain faithful to the brand. Our RX is booked in for its MOT tomorrow so I'll take a look at the LC. Maybe they'll loan it to me as a courtesy car... not!

They once gave me a GS300h F-Sport in white as a courtesy car for a couple of days and  was very impressed with the car. At least I was very impressed with the interior, the build quality and the level of comfort. I would agree that it is superior than the NX in a lot of ways but, and it is a big but, it is such a boring looking car!... although the facelifted version is a little more interesting. Their rarity is probably due to the fact that Lexus have pushed the car hard, with rare demo cars, meaning that only Lexus die-hard know that they exist. I think Lexus France must have had a different approach than their UK counterparts because the GS300h is a very popular choice as a taxi in large cities!

Still, it is now discontinued, so I guess there will be good deals on the few cars that are left in the system, if indeed there are any. I also suppose that they will make good second hand buys.

It's the same with me Daniel. I stayed with Lexus because of LHE as much as for the cars themselves. I had the extended warranty on my previous IS and they never quibbled about any of the work that had to be done. Good luck with the LC. They wouldn't let me take it but it's a beautiful looking car, especially in the red that they have it in. The white GS you had may be the one I used too! With regards to looks I think that's subjective. I'm not a lover of SUV's but I do think that the NX is probably one of the best lookers. I actually like the anonymity of the GS. I didn't know that they discontinued the GS. That's a shame.

6 hours ago, Jamesf1 said:

GS isnt discontinued...

No not yet. Rumours are that it will be - Toyota have halted development of the series V. Lexus GB may stop selling the series IV earlier than the global end of production.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:09 AM, Ala Larj said:

Had an NX courtesy car yesterday whilst the GS was in for a bit of work and it occurred to me that I can’t for the life of me think why anyone would buy one over a GS. Especially as the list price is only £1,250 less than the GS. The NX appears to be one of Lexus’s best sellers whilst the GS is the worst (other than the LS). I was very disappointed with the equipment level compared to my GS and the overall quality didn’t seem as good either. Some of the switches and plastics appeared to be much lower in quality. The seats were a great disappointment with. Whereas the GS has 18 way adjustable seats with 3 memories for both the driver and passenger the NX only has 8 way adjustment and one memory for driver only. I also thought the overall design of the GS interior felt classier. However, that is purely subjective. The two other key areas where the GS surpasses the NX is the ride quality and handling. Both far superior in the GS and the GS has Sports + on top of the other three driving modes. I could not believe the fuel consumption of the NX either. It averaged in the high 30’s whereas mine averages high 40’s. That’s would end up much more expensive with the miles I do. I really do believe the GS is a hidden gem. I also like the fact that it’s pretty uncommon too. Or it could be I’m highly biased!

Probably because the GS is really long and doesn't have useable boot space

If you have small kids, an SUV is much easier to get them in/out from car seats and the boot can take much more, including bulkier items.

Additionally, the AWD is a factor that many buyers like whereas the GS is RWD only.

Big Saloon's just aren't in demand anymore. At one point you would see loads of 5ers, now its difficult. Same with the E-class although the new one seems to be making a comeback but thats because its a brilliant machine, especially in E43 AMG guise.

8 hours ago, rayaans said:

Probably because the GS is really long and doesn't have useable boot space

If you have small kids, an SUV is much easier to get them in/out from car seats and the boot can take much more, including bulkier items.

Additionally, the AWD is a factor that many buyers like whereas the GS is RWD only.

Big Saloon's just aren't in demand anymore. At one point you would see loads of 5ers, now its difficult. Same with the E-class although the new one seems to be making a comeback but thats because its a brilliant machine, especially in E43 AMG guise.

I believe that the GS actually has more boot space than the NX with the seat ups so with kids in the back seat not a great bit of difference. I agree it's probably easier to get the kids in and out of the NX - from the the seats that is, not the boot! Not so sure how important AWD is as most SUV drivers only go off-roading when they park on the pavement!

I agree about the new E class. Maybe when I get bored with Lexus...................

Anyway, what is it with people these days? My parents bought up three strapping young lads in a Ford Anglia. To be fair though, it wasn't just the Anglia, they had a house too!

• Like 2

I had an NX courtesy car, it was all very nice but noisey on the motorway. Wouldnt have one instead of my GS. My problem is I'm old school. Big saloons are just my thing. I appreciate the plus points of SUV's and understand why people buy them. Audi SQ7 apart, I just cant love em

• Like 2

On 8/16/2017 at 11:45 PM, Ala Larj said:

No fogs? I've got a lovely pair! The 12 inch screen is great as you can have two functions at the same time. I've got some sort of brown wood which looks beautiful against the tan interior. I was really lucky to get the spec I wanted. A case of being in the right place at the right time. Don't know what your local dealer is like but worth telling them what you want and they'll let you know when something is available even if not at their branch.

Yeah, the fogs don't seem to be available on the F Sport pre the 2015 face-lift. I could be wrong on this. Also, I'm in Ireland where I have dealt with two of the four dealers in the country and both are hopeless. I left my details and requirements with them about three years ago and have heard nothing since! Have you driven the 450h as a comparison to the 300h? Did you notice much of a difference - basically is it worth the extra few quid?! 

Not driven the 450h I'm afraid so don't really know. My boy racer days are well and truly over so am more than happy with the performance of the 300h. Wafts along most the time but when I want/need an extra shove just quickly put in in Sports mode and there's more than enough power. However, those who have the 450h seem to swear by them! I thought I' miss the mid range grunt from my IS 220d but not at all.

About difference between GS 300h and 450h, I traded in my 2008 450h for a 300h, and already wrote in forum about it. While 300h is better for mpg, 450h is a rocket, so if you like performance go for 450h (with a bit more gasoline to use and some more to spend in service) , if you are a quieter driver and like to spare some money go for a 300h. 

• Like 1