Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 300h Premier Vs GS 300h Premier

It is also my understanding that the GS will be replaced with the ES.

Maybe boring was a little strong and pejorative... let's say anonymous.

So... today's car is a NX300h, F-Sport in black with dark rose seats, the Premier pack and the pan roof. I have to say I really like the car. I wish it had the sliding rear seats of the RX, but this is not a biggie. It certainly has plenty of toys to keep you busy, comfortable and entertained!

4 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

I believe that the GS actually has more boot space than the NX with the seat ups so with kids in the back seat not a great bit of difference. I agree it's probably easier to get the kids in and out of the NX - from the the seats that is, not the boot! Not so sure how important AWD is as most SUV drivers only go off-roading when they park on the pavement!

I agree about the new E class. Maybe when I get bored with Lexus...................

Anyway, what is it with people these days? My parents bought up three strapping young lads in a Ford Anglia. To be fair though, it wasn't just the Anglia, they had a house too!

Only 5L more. The GS in hybrid guise is 480l whereas the NX300H is 475l. Worth bearing in mind that the NX comes with a spare wheel as well whereas the GS doesn't. The seats also fold down in an NX so it can carry a bike or fridge without putting it outside the car and of course, much more shoulder room in an NX. Easier for people with dogs as well.

From a practical perspective - harder to kerb the wheels due to the large tyre profiles.

AWD is certainly great in winter and rainy days without having to resort to Winter tyres which is what most people CBA with. 

7 minutes ago, DanD said:

It is also my understanding that the GS will be replaced with the ES.

Maybe boring was a little strong and pejorative... let's say anonymous.

So... today's car is a NX300h, F-Sport in black with dark rose seats, the Premier pack and the pan roof. I have to say I really like the car. I wish it had the sliding rear seats of the RX, but this is not a biggie. It certainly has plenty of toys to keep you busy, comfortable and entertained!

Did you see the LC? Can't say that's boring or anonymous! 

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Only 5L more. The GS in hybrid guise is 480l whereas the NX300H is 475l. Worth bearing in mind that the NX comes with a spare wheel as well whereas the GS doesn't. The seats also fold down in an NX so it can carry a bike or fridge without putting it outside the car and of course, much more shoulder room in an NX. Easier for people with dogs as well.

From a practical perspective - harder to kerb the wheels due to the large tyre profiles.

AWD is certainly great in winter and rainy days without having to resort to Winter tyres which is what most people CBA with. 

Mine's got a spare wheel. At least it did last time I looked! Although I'd need to get the kids out first to get at it!

42 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I reckon an estate GS would be an interesting proposition. Not sure why Lexus don't do estates. A slightly raised one like the Audi all road would be nice. Update - maybe they do!

324053.jpg

x11-08-29-fourth-gen-lexus-gs-wagon-front.jpg.pagespeed.ic.q3qqwoiihU.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Mine's got a spare wheel. At least it did last time I looked! Although I'd need to get the kids out first to get at it!

ah im probably thinking about the IS then.

I think the driving position is probably a reason as well - some people prefer sitting higher up so they can see everything around them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rayaans said:

ah im probably thinking about the IS then.

I think the driving position is probably a reason as well - some people prefer sitting higher up so they can see everything around them.

I'm sure all your points are valid Rayaan, I'm just not a fan of SUV's. However, I do think Lexus do a better job than most in making them look less like boxes on wheels!

Interesting thoughts. I haven't driven an NX but I have sat in one, and it definitely seemed to be constructed to the cheap-feeling CT/IS/RC standards rather than the better-quality LS/GS/RX. I find this quality divide frustrating, as I really like both the IS and RC otherwise but if I'm paying a grossly inflated premium for a Lexus over a Toyota, I want that to hit me in the face every time I get in the car with the quality of materials used, and the 'lesser' models just don't do that at all.

As such, for me the NX is hideously overpriced. However, it is all about demand, and right now the car-buying populace are demanding vehicles that visibly broadcast something referred to as a 'lifestyle' which often appears to involve surfboards, children and dogs. I can't say I understand this desire to compromise on dynamics and efficiency for the sake of an elevated ride height and a futile attempt to persuade others that you're living life to the full or whatever, but my opinion doesn't matter.

As Rayaan has already pointed out, traditional saloons are on the way out. They can't compete - I mean the GS is hardly going to be considered a 'lifestyle' car, unless one counts bimbling sedately across the village to play bowls to be a lifestyle. Certainly not in rich-pensioner-spec Premier trim anyway - perhaps less so for the F-Sport, which might manage to project a bit of middle-management thrust, although corporate conformity is hardly fashionable in this brave new open-neck-shirt world we live in. Either way, the NX has the GS licked on those all-important matters of image and 'practicality'. It's also clear just how far removed I have become from the consensus when the ability to transport white goods is quoted as a positive attribute. Seriously, does anyone actually choose a car because they think they might need to transport an effing fridge? Don't answer that, it's too depressing. 

All that said, even if I understood the whole lifestyle thing I still don't think I could justify paying £45k for an ungainly-looking, odd-faced small SUV with a cheap interior. Not when I could have a Toyota C-HR for something like £18k less with much lower running costs. Okay, then I'd have a really ungainly-looking, very odd-faced small SUV with a tacky cheap interior but, perhaps weirdly, I actually find the C-HR to be a much more striking design than the NX. And £18k buys you a whole lot of real lifestyle, too...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

Interesting thoughts. I haven't driven an NX but I have sat in one, and it definitely seemed to be constructed to the cheap-feeling CT/IS/RC standards rather than the better-quality LS/GS/RX. I find this quality divide frustrating, as I really like both the IS and RC otherwise but if I'm paying a grossly inflated premium for a Lexus over a Toyota, I want that to hit me in the face every time I get in the car with the quality of materials used, and the 'lesser' models just don't do that at all.

As such, for me the NX is hideously overpriced. However, it is all about demand, and right now the car-buying populace are demanding vehicles that visibly broadcast something referred to as a 'lifestyle' which often appears to involve surfboards, children and dogs. I can't say I understand this desire to compromise on dynamics and efficiency for the sake of an elevated ride height and a futile attempt to persuade others that you're living life to the full or whatever, but my opinion doesn't matter.

As Rayaan has already pointed out, traditional saloons are on the way out. They can't compete - I mean the GS is hardly going to be considered a 'lifestyle' car, unless one counts bimbling sedately across the village to play bowls to be a lifestyle. Certainly not in rich-pensioner-spec Premier trim anyway - perhaps less so for the F-Sport, which might manage to project a bit of middle-management thrust, although corporate conformity is hardly fashionable in this brave new open-neck-shirt world we live in. Either way, the NX has the GS licked on those all-important matters of image and 'practicality'. It's also clear just how far removed I have become from the consensus when the ability to transport white goods is quoted as a positive attribute. Seriously, does anyone actually choose a car because they think they might need to transport an effing fridge? Don't answer that, it's too depressing. 

All that said, even if I understood the whole lifestyle thing I still don't think I could justify paying £45k for an ungainly-looking, odd-faced small SUV with a cheap interior. Not when I could have a Toyota C-HR for something like £18k less with much lower running costs. Okay, then I'd have a really ungainly-looking, very odd-faced small SUV with a tacky cheap interior but, perhaps weirdly, I actually find the C-HR to be a much more striking design than the NX. And £18k buys you a whole lot of real lifestyle, too...

Hit nail on the head. I also don't buy into the SUV thing. I've been driving 30 years and never needed to sit higher in order to be aware whats going around me. As for your C-HR comparison, it struck me that the remainder of the 45k budget could go on a gt86 for those non fridge transportation journeys.

"I mean the GS is hardly going to be considered a 'lifestyle' car, unless one counts bimbling sedately across the village to play bowls to be a lifestyle. Certainly not in rich-pensioner-spec Premier trim anyway"

bimbling sedately is a lifestyle for some and I'm hardly a pensioner but I did enjoy hammering my premier across France last week for a game of boules!

• 2 weeks later...

hi all  interesting thread, my first Lexus was a 400 a.w.d then 2 450h the last one grey /grey was excellent could not fault it in any respect, BUT there

was allways something missing?. I have allways had sports cars [ tryumph] upto getting married at 45 then saloons, jags/tryumphs 2 ford v6s in south Africa then back here Volvo v70 but something was allways niggling me .service came GS 300 was the car I was given to run around in ,problem solved I felt at home straight away ,car as the RX is faultless but when I drive the GS I allways get out with a big SMILE on my face now done 3000+ miles readout on dash 52.5 MPG, just had a key dragged down near side front curtesy of some brain dead moron in scarborough.this now fixed with my tame local sprayer PHIL. thanks pal .hope that tries to explain how I feel [would still like a red triangle throu]. polish