Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

PO-40 working correctly?

Hi folks, today I managed (between precipitation ) to finally install the PO-40 folding mirror module into my 250 SE-L, must say the hardest part of the whole operation was trying to exert just enough uumph to remove the door card via its plastic retaining clips. Although I say so myself I tried to do a top quality job with spliced/soldered and shrink tube joints all covered in black tape! 

But I have one question to ask of anyone who has installed this module and that is when the car is locked ( via keyfob or handle button) should the mirrors fold in when the car is locked (first stage locking) or only when the car is Deadlocked ie two pushes of either button (fob or door).

The reason I ask this is because trawling through all the documents I can find on line for the PO-40 some state there might be a problem with one of the wires on some models not being able to supply enough power until the central locking is 'woken up' so to speak and then it allows the folding of the mirrors, so I am thinking the mirrors should be capable of being folded in on the first stage locking if enough power was available. 

Hope this makes sense what I am asking? 

So basically does anyone have a PO-40 installed that folds in your mirrors on the first press of a 'Lock' button?

thanks in advance, 

paul m.

The mirrors will close on the second press - double lock function but the manual operation of closing and opening via the door card switch should still operate them. Sounds like you have done the job right.

One tip tho - in the winter, when thick ice is present or you know a thick frost is coming, try to keep the mirrors open as when opening the car, with the mirrors on auto opening, you could damage them.

• Like 1

That's good to know then ( dead locking required to fold mirrors)

As for the Frost then yes, prevention is better then fixing....

I have seen ( maybe on ClubLexus Site) that the mirrors folding motor drive and gearing system can be 'serviced' and lubed to maintain it in tip top condition.

cheers Paul M.

I wired my PO-40 so it closes on the first lock press and opens on an unlock press. As mentioned pressing unlock first before locking keeps the mirrors out and visa versa for keeping the mirrors in when unlocking

• Like 1

Took a quick video to show it can do done with a PO-40 on just 1 click of the button, don't ask me which wires I used as I honestly cant remember and its the only mod I have done I haven't documented but it has works flawlessly for 18 months.

• Like 1

Just now, is200 Newbie said:

Its a good feature also to indicate the car is locked - especially double locked but equally on the first lock as looking at the mirrors from a distance indicates its locked up.

Yep this is a really handy feature, that "did I lock the car?" is easy answered with a quick glance at the mirrors

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

don't ask me which wires I used as I honestly cant remember and its the only mod I have done I haven't documented but it has works flawlessly for 18 months.

That's exactly what I wanna ask, which wires did you use to achieve this!!!!!!!!

i followed instructions to the letter but it mentions nothing about deadlocking anywhere.

might get amongst it later and check to find which colour wires actually give a pulse on lock/unlock in connector 'C' according to instructions this is what is required.

image.png

To be honesty about 50% of the wires in mine were different to the guide. Sounds like all you need to do though is find a strong feed the triggers when the lock button is pressed and swap that wire.

I have no idea why but Lexus used so many different colours and looms on the IS depending on year, model and county!

Time to get the multi-meter out!

2 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

Is the fact that is works on the double lock giving you any issues?

I would personally find it less convenient to have to deadlock my car every time just to get the mirrors folded in

Mirrors do indeed fold fine on deadlocking, but to be honest I don't always dead lock my cars when locking them up, naughty boy! But I do want the mirrors folded to confirm the car is at least locked to first stage.

will go in and try and sort it some time!

paul m.

mine lokcs on first lock.  However, I found my 2012 had different assignment of wires ... especially the 'lock' (first lock & door button)... I ended up buzzing the connector and picking the strongest signal for 'lock' and 'unlock'.   In addition, I had to use a different wire as the 12Vbattery feed, as again the one in the instructions wasn't beefy enough.  (I used the puddle light, right inthe bottom corner of the door).

11 hours ago, jumbojake said:

mine lokcs on first lock.  However, I found my 2012 had different assignment of wires ... especially the 'lock' (first lock & door button)... I ended up buzzing the connector and picking the strongest signal for 'lock' and 'unlock'.   In addition, I had to use a different wire as the 12Vbattery feed, as again the one in the instructions wasn't beefy enough.  (I used the puddle light, right inthe bottom corner of the door).

This jogs a lot of my memory and sounds very similar to what I ended up doing

just dug out my notes, it looks like only 2 changes from the 'default' instructions.

Po-40 Red    - Door Puddle Light (blue)
Po-40 Blue   - Connector C (Purple)

All other connections as per the instructions.

Michael also sent me a very useful table (extract below if it works) .... with this you can buzz out the approriate wires (using the instructions as a guide, as opposed to gospel)

Po-40 Wires

Function

Method

Black

Ground

Splice

Green

Extend Motor

Cut/Join

Orange

Acc/IGn

Cut/Join

Pink

Extend Switch

Cut/Join

Purple

Retract Switch

Cut/Join

Yellow

Retract Motor

Cut/Join

Red

12v all time

Splice

Blue

Lock

Splice

White

Unlock

Splice

Brown

Acc/IGn

Cut/Join

• Like 1

I followed the instructions, double and treble checked which wires to use and then found that it also only worked on the double lock.

So I got the multi meter out and checked which wire pulsed on single lock and switched it over. Cant remember colours I am sorry.

Best to check though as many of our cars have wiring differences due to spec and origin of sale/build.

I was glad to read here about the override for Winter. Will try that out tonight - thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well just went back inside the drivers door today as weather was brilliant ( Bank Holiday in UK so should have been raining!) and rewired the Loom as per 'JumboJake's' post and works a treat now, mirrors fold on first stage of locking just as I wanted.

cheers Paul M.