Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlamp Change ? Europe

Lisaslexus12345

If I understand you correctly, you wish to export your car to Spain permanently? If so yes you will need to change the headlamps to the European specifications.

Cheaper to source the units second hand in Europe.

Yes, you will need to change whole units, because light is directed in some certain way depending on traffic flow (right or left drive) lights been directed a bit to the left or right. Can I give you small advise (might work out), when you will get your car to spain - take off current headlights - sell them on eBay - got the money add a bit more and buy new headlights in Spain.  Very important is to check if Spanish "DVLA" if they are registering cars with steering wheel on the right, there is few stupid countries in EU where registering car with right hand side located steering wheel is prohibited. Good luck 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chris_fletcher said:

Or take the cheap way out, buy Euro beam converters and leave a GB sticker on the car

I doubt that's a viable option if you are re-registering the car abroad.

4 hours ago, Finzky said:

Yes, you will need to change whole units, because light is directed in some certain way depending on traffic flow (right or left drive) lights been directed a bit to the left or right. Can I give you small advise (might work out), when you will get your car to spain - take off current headlights - sell them on ebay - got the money add a bit more and buy new headlights in Spain.  Very important is to check if Spanish "DVLA" if they are registering cars with steering wheel on the right, there is few stupid countries in EU where registering car with right hand side located steering wheel is prohibited. Good luck 

Good call with the RHD restriction, my uncle looked into re-registering a vehicle in another country and it was a shocking minefield.  They add so many crazy import rules that it's far easier to give in and buy a car locally.

back when, many moons ago, I had a Porsche 911 (1994 vintage) which had ellipsoid headlamps.  As does the CT.  So on the 911, there was a shutter that could be switched across to allow driving over seas.  Surely the CT has this rather than having to stick sticky things on the lamps...??

1 hour ago, jido said:

I would love if there was a switch for the lamps position as I am driving to continental Europe this very week-end. 

It does not sound like there is though?

I drive over to Germany /Austria every Christmas and on the Chunnel I seem to be the only Brit who puts headlight conversion stickers on my headlights. Don't see any police stopping Brit cars and issuing a fine, so bollox to it mate. Just leave them off or buy some from Halfords. Along with your breath test kit, hi-vi, warning triangle and wad of dosh to bribe the Spanish traffic cops.

• 2 weeks later...

Hold on a minute!...

I was always told that, when driving a Lexus on the continent, you do not need to apply any stickers (even though they are available) on the basis that all recent models have a "flat" beam, as opposed to one that kicks up on the passenger side. This certainly is the case for the RX300/350/400h/450h and IS an GS models. Therefore, on the premise that you do not need to apply stickers when travelling on holiday, why would you need to change the headlamps at all?

To my knowledge, the way the lights are setup on the CT is no different to that on other Lexus models. Is it?

• Like 1

Please do not tell me this ! As on the advice of Lexus they informed me it would cost £2000 plus to change my lights to conform with driving in Spain - I have just sold my 1.5 year old car on this advice !!

Thanks for your comments

58 minutes ago, Lisaslexus12345 said:

Please do not tell me this ! As on the advice of Lexus they informed me it would cost £2000 plus to change my lights to conform with driving in Spain - I have just sold my 1.5 year old car on this advice !!

Thanks for your comments

DanD above is correct. There is no need to apply any stickers or alter the beam pattern because the beams are flat and there is a thread somewhere on the forum that contains the contents of a letter from Lexus confirming that. However, that was in the context of an English tourist only travelling abroad for a short period of time. Because you wished to export your car permanently then you would have to abide by Spanish traffic law and pass a Spanish MOT, which UK headlamps would fail.

EDIT: Found it, Post No. 3 in this topic (and, in fact, post No. 15 shows an actual letter from Lexus):

• Like 1