Diesel Do Nicely Brian

Lexus 60,000/120,000 mile service - GS450h

Hi all,

My GS450 is due it's 12th service (it's circa 90,000 miles but that is the srvice it has reached).  The total cost of the service is £745 (before my discount) so is the biggest service of them all.

Any idea what is in it, what will be done/changed and what the additional cost will be?  They said it is likely to take all day as there is a lot of labour involved in the service.

As the car is 11 years old in November, and technically I could be using the Minor/Major service from the Essential Care Package but not sure that will be anywhere near as comprehensive.  The car is under Lexus Warranty until the start of August 2018 thankfully.

Any thoughts, or anyone actually have the list of work the technician does on the service to justify the price?  I already have the lists of items, which are available on the website, but these are not specific to 60 or 120,000 miles.

Brian.

Probably spark plugs change and some more check. May be some fluids change too.

• Like 1

Luigi's right, the extra 60k items are; plugs, timing belt*, diesel filter*

*model dependent

On the https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#ServicingYourLexus page, choose the 'Lexus Service Checklists' to see the side by side comparison of 60k vs 100k, etc :wink3:

Mmmm...mine does not have a timing belt or diesel filter.  

it's all the checks I'd like to know about to justify £4-500 more than the last service, which included filters, oils and brake fluid etc...

9 hours ago, Farqui said:

On the https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#ServicingYourLexus page, choose the 'Lexus Service Checklists' to see the side by side comparison of 60k vs 100k, etc :wink3:

Thanks - I have been through all of that info, but really looking to get a properly comprehensive "why does this cost £745" list followed by the technician, versus the £220 less Essential Care Major service for cars over 5 years old...

On 8/18/2017 at 11:51 PM, Diesel Do Nicely Brian said:

Thanks - I have been through all of that info, but really looking to get a properly comprehensive "why does this cost £745" list followed by the technician, versus the £220 less Essential Care Major service for cars over 5 years old...

Its the spark plugs that are changed.

The essential care major service does not include the price of spark plugs. There will be 6 spark plugs - about £10 each from Lexus so that would be about £60. Rest is labour - its a 2 hour job apparently. Half the engine is disassembed because its a PITA to get to them. Then they'll need gap adjustment

I believe they charge £150 or so to do the spark plugs alone but you can't really compare to essential care servicing as its not labelled an essential care service.

Spark plugs are far more expensive, being Iridium type and sold by Lexus (online they are cheaper). In service there is also auto transmission fluids change.

Thanks Gents.  Hopefully the extra expense will be worth it - I am working hard on getting the car back to as close to new quality as possible.

Another £57 of parts at the weekend for a couple of specific clips, a new cup holder insert and touch up kit.

9 hours ago, rayaans said:

Its the spark plugs that are changed.

The essential care major service does not include the price of spark plugs. There will be 6 spark plugs - about £10 each from Lexus so that would be about £60. Rest is labour - its a 2 hour job apparently. Half the engine is disassembed because its a PITA to get to them. Then they'll need gap adjustment

I believe they charge £150 or so to do the spark plugs alone but you can't really compare to essential care servicing as its not labelled an essential care service.

The plugs on the GS450H are easy to get at and change only requiring the engine top covers to be removed, and one bolt holding the coils. It took me well less than an hour to change mine including an oil, and filter change.

These plugs in the Toyota cars are changed every 120,000 miles, and are removed, checked, threads lubricated, "yes I did say lubricated" and refitted at 60,000 miles according to the service schedule for the Prius for instance. The reason for removing at 60,000 is given as to stop them seizing in.

If the plugs were changed at 60,000 miles the one now fitted have only done 30,000 miles. Since they do not deteriorate with age only miles there is no reason to change them.

John 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rayaans said:

I haven't seen a recent post about the cost Lexus charge for plugs but I believe it to be around £17 - £18 each (possibly + VAT). You can pick up the OEM plugs for around £10 each from most stockists.

As with oil, the dealer have high margins on these parts.

9 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I haven't seen a recent post about the cost Lexus charge for plugs but I believe it to be around £17 - £18 each (possibly + VAT). You can pick up the OEM plugs for around £10 each from most stockists.

As with oil, the dealer have high margins on these parts.

I think its £17-18 with VAT. It was £15 a few years ago. I haggled them down on my older RX though to £10 each but that was in 2015 so probably gone up to around £12-13 if you haggle. 

120k service will be...

oil, oil filter, engine air filter, spark plugs, a/c filter, rear diff oil, rear brake strip down and clean. No brake fluid as you say its 11yrs old and brake fluid is every 2yrs.