Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

450RX Full service

Hi .. Wife wouldn't go for the LS600 ( don't ask ) but which I keep looking at :wink3: .. so still have the 2011 450RX which is now coming up for a full service and i'm sure this has been asked many times before but.. what exactly is involved with a full service at 50k ?? .. and crucially is my Lexus dealership going to sting me as opposed to my local garage who I have lots of confidence in and don't charge the earth??

On another matter .. (it's a long story) but managed to reverse into a wall in the old part of Manchester city .. resulting in a shallow dent in the bumper and deep scratches on the rear passenger corner .. nothing I couldn't repair myself after having restored a Merc SL500 .. however the White Pearlecent finish is summat I wouldn't attempt .. however when I bought the car from Lexus Stockport  I actually paid some £350 for 3 years of minor paint damage insurance for just such an occasion as this .. but you guys on the forum don't seem to think the people sent by the insurance company do a very good job .. sooooo .. I decided in my infinite wisdom to pay for the repair myself and get Stockport based "Matthew Leeson of Chips Away" in to do the job .. he assured me it would be an invisible repair at £180 .. well I can honestly say if I were to give it marks out of 10 it would be a 3 at most .. the white spray applied is nowhere near the original bodywork colour and is at least a shade whiter  .. the depth of lacquer applied is not nearly deep enough to match the original coating but worse the shallow indentation in the bumper is still there and when I pointed this out after the base coat had been applied Mr Leeson told me once the Lacquer was applied it wouldn't be seen .. absolute nonsense it's still very much in evidence !!

You may ask why I didn't stop the job .. truth is I had a whole pile of other problems stacking up at that point and didn't need the extra hassle .. so be warned this guy is a cowboy and at some point i'm going to have to get it redone .. this time by a professional !

TGF .. i'm going for a beer .. sorry to bitch :yahoo:

• Like 1

I believe the 50k is just a standard service. Its not a full service like the ones at 20k and 40k.

I believe the cost is about £295 and you can try haggle, might get a bit off.

I probably would have gone with the Stockport insurance guy to be honest, they did two of my wheels on the previous car and it was a perfect job.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input .. bought the car from Lexus Stockport at 33k and was advised it had just had a full service done so had a half service at my local garage and assumed it would now need a full service again .. maybe I should contact the dealer .. as far as paintwork goes i'll have to be more selective methinks .. or just not get into anymore scrapes .. wouldn't care all the bells were going off in the car and the camera was telling me I was about to smack the wall .. but it was just another one of those days  :wacko:

As Rayaans said the 50,000 mile service is not to bad the big one is the 60,000 which we have just had this week and also added new front  discs and pads to the service.Got the Gold member discount which helped.

3 hours ago, The Sat Diver said:

Thanks for the input .. bought the car from Lexus Stockport at 33k and was advised it had just had a full service done so had a half service at my local garage and assumed it would now need a full service again .. maybe I should contact the dealer .. as far as paintwork goes i'll have to be more selective methinks .. or just not get into anymore scrapes .. wouldn't care all the bells were going off in the car and the camera was telling me I was about to smack the wall .. but it was just another one of those days  :wacko:

How old is the car? If it's 6 years old with 50k miles, it'd have the full 60k service than the 50k one. It works on 10k/1 year 

That's how I understand it too and to be fair that's how most manufacturers work; it's whichever comes first, the mileage or the age.  Mine will be on just over 4ok I suspect when it gest to 6 years so I'll put it in for a 6 year rather than 40k service.  How's that for loving the car; the last service was just over 2 months ago and I'm thinking of its next one!

Thanks guys .. as ever your all a mine of information and appreciated .. just got back from the Tatton Park Classic Car Show and pretty awesome it was too plus a lovely sunny day .. anyway the bottom line .. my motor is now 6 years old with 49k on the clock so your recommending a BIG 60k service .. Ok i'll do that for peace of mind .. important question .. how much will I expect to pay at Lexus for said 60k service ?? second question .. can anyone tell me what is involved ??

It's obvious we love our cars and I never skimp on vehicle maintenance because my daughter sometimes drives mine with my granddaughter strapped in the back .. but as I say I have every confidence in my local garage too however .. is the RX service process so complicated that you all feel I should leave it to Lexus to carry out ??

If you do .. then regardless Lexus has the job

Thanks again for all your comments  

1 hour ago, The Sat Diver said:

Thanks guys .. as ever your all a mine of information and appreciated .. just got back from the Tatton Park Classic Car Show and pretty awesome it was too plus a lovely sunny day .. anyway the bottom line .. my motor is now 6 years old with 49k on the clock so your recommending a BIG 60k service .. Ok i'll do that for peace of mind .. important question .. how much will I expect to pay at Lexus for said 60k service ?? second question .. can anyone tell me what is involved ??

It's obvious we love our cars and I never skimp on vehicle maintenance because my daughter sometimes drives mine with my granddaughter strapped in the back .. but as I say I have every confidence in my local garage too however .. is the RX service process so complicated that you all feel I should leave it to Lexus to carry out ??

If you do .. then regardless Lexus has the job

Thanks again for all your comments  

Yep it'll be the full 60k service. It's £745

Think it's the spark plug change. From what I was told, half the engine is disassembled on the RX but I don't know

4 hours ago, granadaman said:

cars over 5 years old can get a lexus essential care service so you dont have to have a regular service,http://www.vantagemotorgroup.co.uk/lexus/servicing-offers/essential-care/

But it doesn't include the spark plug change so you're back to square 1

11 hours ago, rayaans said:

But it doesn't include the spark plug change so you're back to square 1

but you can get them to do the plugs as part of the service for an extra cost - it will be cheaper than the standard service price.

11 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

but you can get them to do the plugs as part of the service for an extra cost - it will be cheaper than the standard service price.

True, but by how much? They'll take atleast £150 if not more for spark plug change

Ha.. ha.. hope they don't rip the engine apart !! but .. bearing in mind I paid £760 just for the 40K gearbox overhaul on my AMG 6.3 I can live with this .. maybe I can persuade them to throw in the plugs as a freebie ... I wish .. my problem is my wife loves this motor so much she kicks off every time I suggest changing it and she doesn't even drive .. it's just not fair .. i'm still looking at the LS600 tho' but to be honest this is the most reliable car I have ever owned by a country mile and the guys at Lexus Stockport feel more like mates although i'm sure that's part of the Lexus strategy .. truth is it works .. honestly didn't expect to keep the car this long but the plus's outweigh the minus's 

Thanks to all for the advice .. time to raid the piggy bank for a Lexus 60k service !!