Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I just want to say HOOOOOOORRRRAAAAYYYYY!!!! My digitalizer went and the touchscreen would no longer respond only to the buttons.  After having the bloody thing out 8 times and 3 new digitalizers it finally works!! If any of you attempt it beware of slicing your fingers left right and center.  I didnt take any pictures but if anyone has the same issue don't fork out thousands for a new screen the digitalizer was £14 from Hong Kong and works perfectly.

• Like 1

How 'easy' was it to actually change the digitiser in the unit once the unit has been removed from dash.

the reason I ask this is not because my digitiser has failed but if it ever does then as I have had the entertainment unit out of the dash recently and now know how easy that is then I can decide whether to take on doing the screen change myself or not as the case may be.

It's fairly easy, once it's out you would remove both brackets from either side.  Then fours screws holding the top half of the grey fascia on. Then you separate the screen unit from the fascia it's held also by a cable on the top right.  Four screws hold the screen casing at the desired angle... when removing from this bit be careful it's half by a cable and really short ribbon cable be careful not to damage it.

Lastly four more screws open the screen casing. To separate the screen from the old digitalizer I used a hairdryer to heat the bonding and a crafting knife. They do smash easy so beware, then bought some double side stick pads and attached the new ribbon cable.  Just reverse to put together.

• Like 1

Well done Dean. That's a good job to have sorted yourself. You've every right to feel chuffed with yourself.

Lexus would charge £1000+ I would imagine.

A link to the digitizer might be useful for knowing what type goes with your model year...for others with same year. Not sure if it's one type that will work with all model years or not. Probably not If I was taking a guess.

If anyone wants to see some photos to enlighten a bit further. 

There is quite a good selection here on the USA Lexus forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/610678-frozen-navigation-screen-fix-diy.html

The one I got is probably about 90% as good as the original.  I would say it's slightly less focused at a certain angle. I have attached pictures to show. I think it's more of a plastic material than glass but overall I'm chuffed.  The link is below..

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301844163273

There are some more expensive ones but unsure how different the quality is. If anyone needs any help please just let me know.  If you rather not get to messy with it you could buy a screen with a digitalizer attached but they are anywhere from a few hundred. Secondly it's the integrated ribbon cable that fails so any other OEM one will quite possibly fail within time.

20170821_202049.jpg

20170821_201320.jpg

20170821_201702.jpg