Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4 (and a bit) month review of the GS

Well, I've had her now for just over four months and feel suitably acquainted enough to share her positives and her foibles. Primarily I just love driving her. Since we met I've taken her to Scotland, Belgium and France where she has performed magnanimously. Not to mention the daily 22 mile each way commute along the M27. In all that time she's averaged 50.9 mpg. Not bad compared to my old IS 220d's 38.4. All with a variety of roads from fast French to windy Scottish. However, that's really unimportant compared to how she makes me feel. I get a warm sense of satisfaction every time I'm in her. Just love the sheer sense of comfort and quality she pervades. She feels like a tough cookie but has a soft and tender quality too. So yes, it definitely is love! Although the overall package is wonderful there are a few things that stand out and thoroughly impress me:

1. The quietness and comfort she endows meaning every journey is a pleasure. Many times I have arrived 'too soon', wishing the journey was longer.

2. Part of the above can be attributed to the wonderful seats. It took me a couple of weeks to get it right due to the number of permutations available with 18 way adjustment. Now I'm there it's perfect.

3. The memory seats. Am glad they are there as my body is very different to my wife's. I particularly like the fact they can be programmed to the key so that they are halfway there when I get in after the wife has been driving. I also like the fact there are three memories especially on the passenger side where l can have an upright and a slumber position. 

4. HUD. I rarely look at the instruments now. Also, particularly useful over the water.

5. Contrary to some opinions I like the auto wipers. They work perfect for me.

6. I also like the auto heating/cooling of the seats although I am becoming very lazy!

7. Love the blinds in the back. Useful on hot days (found in France!).

8. Love the split screen on ICE. Makes things simple like changing AC whilst using sat nav.

9. The driving modes are great. Spend most of the time pootling around in eco or normal, use sport for quick getaways and sport+ was brilliant on Scotland's brilliant Highland roads.

10. I like the controls in the back seat armrest where you can adjust the AC and change tracks on the ML.

11. I like the fact you can disable this when kids (or wife) are in the back!

There's lots of other things I like but these are the highlights.

Foibles?

Had to think long and hard about this and the following stand out:

1. You can't use the memory button on the passenger seat whilst moving. I can understand it being a safety issue on the driver's side but not if I want a kip whilst the wife is at the helm!

2. It's a shame that the split screen is designed for LHD so the map is closer to the passenger.

3. Am clutching straws now - I don't like the fact that the surrounds of the door mirrors are black and not the same as the car colour and mirror housing.

Well, that's all. A very happy chappy!

• Like 4

There should be an icon on the screen near the top to press and swap the layout. You can put map either side or get rid. I can on my car anyway and assume similar.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Comedian said:

There should be an icon on the screen near the top to press and swap the layout. You can put map either side or get rid. I can on my car anyway and assume similar.

I can move the small right hand screen to the big one on the left but the sat nav only shows on the left. Or am I missing something?

I can move the small right hand screen to the big one on the left but the sat nav only shows on the left. Or am I missing something?

Hard to explain. Might be able to show a pic tomorrow.

Good review, glad you loving the car

I drive a 250 Luxury ML. 4 1/2 years old, 30 k miles. Had a look this week at potentially swapping. Ended up being offered £10k off a C class estate on a PCP deal. But, didn't take long to realise, I just don't want to drive anything else.

• Like 2

Mine's a different system to yours. Anything I can get on the right hand screen I can get on the big screen on the left, with more comprehensive detail, but I can only get maps on the left.

IMG_20170824_191630.jpg

IMG_20170824_191514.jpg

Ah, sorry no use to you. That looks a nice screen though.

I can't put maps in the small boxes but can swap where the big box sits.

Interesting read Alan, thanks for that. I'm starting the slow process of lining-up the inevitable replacement this-year-or-next of my trusty old IS. I've narrowed it down to a IS250 or GS250 (although I keep finding other cars that distract me for a few weeks, then fall by the wayside) so I'm always interested to read owners thoughts. The M27 is awful, I know; a couple of lads I work with suffer its vicious vagaries everyday. My early morning commute southbound on the M3, is by contrast blissfully quiet; perhaps I don't need a GS? :biggrin:

I think everyone needs a GAS sometime in their life! I came from an IS mk 2 and was planning on replacing it with a mk 3 but after driving the GS I couldn't go back. Am hoping to win the lottery and get the new LS!

Yes thats the pre facelift GS screen software. It won't let you have maps on the right. 

The new system like the one on my RX you can have the map on full screen or on the right on the smaller screen.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links