Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2013 on , IS250, 300H or 200T, which is the best drive whilst maintaining comfort ?

As per title. I really like the look of the Mk 3 Lexus IS but all 3 seem to be compromised in some way. 250 is deemed to be slow and thirsty. The hybrid has a CVT transmission and the 200T has only got 4 cylinders.

Or should I just keep looking for the perfect Mk2 SEL ?

Interested to know why you say the hybrid having a CVT is is "compromised". Having driven a MK3 GS450H, CT200H and now a MK4 GS450H (along with non Lexus hybrid models) I would say in my experience the e-cvt transmissions on the hybrids are superbly built and smooth. Just my opinion. Test drive one and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

I agree about the CVT, don't let the idea put you off, its not a true CVT, as gareth1902 says, its an e-cvt box, it doesn't use belts and pulleys.

I've seen a series of videos which explains how they work, which is basically through a set of planetary gears and a second electric motor. Basically the car is an electric car with petrol backup, the computer decides which engine will do what and control them to give you what you are asking of them by your throttle usage.  In Sport mode, the petrol engine is used quite a lot, but in Normal and Eco modes, the petrol engine goes completely off a lot when around town, but will it runs at motorway speeds, albeit at quite a low rpm.

You can set you dash to have a rev counter on in all modes to see this happening as you don't really hear it stop and start in normal mode, it is a bit weird but it works so smoothly. I now know why people look at the car when you set off in car parks, if the petrol engine is on, which it does when its cold so as to warm the engine up, as you drive off, the petrol engine most likely doesn't change rpm and thus you appear to accelerate with an engine running at tick-over..

Now I've driven automatics before, but the e-cvt system is so smooth, its on another level, go and try one.

Vince

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Texas said:

What would you call a " perfect Mk2 SE-L"?

paul m.

2009 or later SE L. Pearlescent white, sunroof and adaptive cruise like yours, less than 40000 miles, full Lexus service history, no damage to bodywork or wheels, one owner from new and all this for  about £7000. Of course it would have to have the ML sound system and sat nav screen for the reverse camera etc.

Interior could be black or grey with black carpet but definitely not the yellowy beige.

Re the CVT, I was under the impression that it was the old belt and pulley system. Of course it's like anything, some people say it's great, others that it,s rubbish.

I must try one.

Another question.

Why are there two BHP figures quoted for the 300H ? some are advertised as 190 something and others 200 and odd . Where is the difference ?

46 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

Another question.

Why are there two BHP figures quoted for the 300H ? some are advertised as 190 something and others 200 and odd . Where is the difference ?

Depends how 'they' have calculated the system BHP. Being a hybrid it's not as easy as for simple petrol/diesel engines.

1 hour ago, bernieeccles said:

2009 or later SE L. Pearlescent white, sunroof and adaptive cruise like yours, less than 40000 miles, full Lexus service history, no damage to bodywork or wheels, one owner from new and all this for  about £7000. Of course it would have to have the ML sound system and sat nav screen for the reverse camera etc.

Interior could be black or grey with black carpet but definitely not the yellowy beige.

Re the CVT, I was under the impression that it was the old belt and pulley system. Of course it's like anything, some people say it's great, others that it,s rubbish.

I must try one.

Another question.

I would say the 300h will be the best for you from what you have said - and comparatively easier to find.

I have yet to find a human being hate on the IS300h CVT after driving it - of course, motoring journalists don't come under "human being" as they are some sort of super human racing drivers

The IS300h BHP figure is 220hp combined. If they are quoting 178hp, they are stating just the engine HP and not the combined HP.

On 8/27/2017 at 10:38 PM, bernieeccles said:

As per title. I really like the look of the Mk 3 Lexus IS but all 3 seem to be compromised in some way. 250 is deemed to be slow and thirsty. The hybrid has a CVT transmission and the 200T has only got 4 cylinders.

Or should I just keep looking for the perfect Mk2 SEL ?

mk3 IS250 is same as mk2 IS250 in terms of speed and fuel consumtion. Mk2 were better equipped from standard, but SE-L+ML ~=Premium. I have not seen Mk3 with ACC/PCS... I don't believe one exists, whereas mk2 had this option. I would never choose 200t (I know that is sensitive topic), I did not like 300h either, don't see how it is an "upgrade" over mk2 IS250.... but if anything e-CVT is brilliant. It is not like CT200 CVT which is total pain to drive.

Myself I was interested in mk3 IS250, but the problem is that they seems to be command quite a premium over mk2, but hardly offers any benefits except exterior design.

On 8/28/2017 at 4:48 PM, rayaans said:

The IS300h BHP figure is 220hp combined. If they are quoting 178hp, they are stating just the engine HP and not the combined HP.

@bernieeccles - I suggest you try it. Lexus gives IS300h for 24h test drives, so no reason to avoid it. My personal feeling is that IS300h feels exactly like 178hp car even if it theoretically perhaps maybe have 220hp, which not exactly can be added like for like or "combined" for that matter. From the drivers perspective IS250 "feels much faster" than IS300h and in real life the difference is ~0.8s 0-60mph.

Lexus IS250 far the better drive in my opinion. 

I've drove both the 300h and 200T. 

300H felt noticeably underpowered and sounded dull compared to the 250. Couldn't wait to give it back to be honest.

200T only felt slightly  quicker than the 250 but did not have that glorious V6 roar.

Give me the 250 V6 any day.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure a hybrid cvt is not like a traditional cvt. Have heard it described as a reverse differential.

Regard mk2 is250. Very very good car, I was looking from a MY12 advance and the new cars did not look appealing. Lacks a little character compared the IS gen one I feel.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Comedian said:

I'm pretty sure a hybrid cvt is not like a traditional cvt. Have heard it described as a reverse differential.

The one in CT200h/mk3 GS450h is pretty much like traditional, but e-CVT in mk3 IS/RC/mk4 GS are much better. I hated RC300h in many aspects but I really liked e-CVT. The artificial steps in e-CVT feels very "manual" and the changes are literally instant. When it comes to pure efficiency in D I believe e-CVT is second to none and when it comes to driving pleasure in S (even though artificial) again is very good feeling.

It is sad 300h is so under-powered and second sad thing it is not tax efficient. It should have been like BMW 330e - plug-in hybrid 6.1s to 60mph and proper 20 miles electric range. It seems like Lexus missed this opportunity and what puzzles me Toyota was literally on top of PHEV game.. why they didn't offer IS/RC300h PHEV with proper performance is beyond me. 

This video demonstrates how the e=cvt box works.

There is a series of videos, but this is the best one to show it in all its glory.  Apparently all the Toyota transaxles are basically the same idea.  In the series he explains the difference between each one, this particular one is from the Prius so I'd expect the same one in the CT200h,

Vince

Don't know why but the video always starts towards the end, just go back to the beginning.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links