AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Rowan89

Sc400 turns off/stalls when selecting gear

Hi all, I've recently purchased a sc400 "2000 mode full jap import, had the issue of it turning off/stalling when selecting gear since I bought the car.
Gearbox completely went in it, so I got this one fully rebuilt, along with a new torque converter, and also had the ecu rebuilt. 
So far I know it's not the torque converter or gearbox, hope someone can help me out, thanks.

What are the revs at tick over?

This might not be relevant but my LS400 MK2 would stall at roundabouts - it was a dirty throttle body. 

Someone else may have other suggestions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rowan89 said:

Hi all, I've recently purchased a sc400 "2000 mode full jap import, had the issue of it turning off/stalling when selecting gear since I bought the car.
Gearbox completely went in it, so I got this one fully rebuilt, along with a new torque converter, and also had the ecu rebuilt. 
So far I know it's not the torque converter or gearbox, hope someone can help me out, thanks.

Is it a right hand drive V8 Soarer import from Japan with digital dash and all the extra tech or is it a US spec left hand drive SC400?

Have you checked the fault codes? Does it start easily and rev freely in P or N?

• Like 1

Revs are roughly 700-800 (hard to tell with digital dash)

Jap version with digital dash etc, right hand drive, no fault codes, yes revs fine.

Ok so I disconnected the start neutral safety switch off the box and left it in neutral (switch), car doesn't stall now when selecting gear !!!! Any ideas? I've tried another switch and does the same.

It seems you are closing in on the fault. With the switch reconnected, does it stall in drive, first, second and reverse positions or just drive?