AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Hi all, my gs450h has a blowing centre section exhaust, i assume its the original. The car has done 327k miles, yes you read that right. Occasionally the EML comes on, with error code p0420, 

Search Results

P0420 LEXUS Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

I can clear it, but it does come back after a few days, the problem is no doubt related to the blowing. Can these be got as used parts? Im struggling to find one. Do these have just the one CAT, or two?

cheers all!

The exhaust Manifolds have one cat on either side. Then the centre section also has a cat in either pipe before they join, and enter the first silencer box making 4 cats in total. 

You will probably find having yours repaired or replacing it with a purpose made stainless steel replacement to be the cheapest options.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Is the attached pic the 'centre section' on a gs450h? Sorry for sounding ignorant, but the section looks different from underneath the car, viewed from a tight angle, as opposed to this. The code i get states its 'bank 1' catalytic converter issue, which CAT would that be here? Cheers

exhaust.jpg

Yes that is the centre section. Bank 1 is the drivers side or the left hand side branch in your picture above as I believe the exhaust is turned over "upside down". I doubt the split at the rear of the resonator is the reason for that code.

John.

I had a used centre section fitted today. Quiet as a whisper now. Bloody hard to track down that part, worked out £280 fitted. Or i could have gone for stainless steel at £600 plus i would have had to travel.

As it is all now silent, i assume i will not be seeing that code again!

Good result, glad you got sorted. Did you get the part from a breakers?

Were the two sensors supplied with the replacement exhaust? As it was one of these that was more likely to be causing the fault code.

John.

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:11 PM, carnut1980 said:

Thanks for the info. Is the attached pic the 'centre section' on a gs450h? Sorry for sounding ignorant, but the section looks different from underneath the car, viewed from a tight angle, as opposed to this. The code i get states its 'bank 1' catalytic converter issue, which CAT would that be here? Cheers

exhaust.jpg

That looks quite similar, if not the same, as the IS250 centre section

Hiya yall, yeh from a breaker on ebay, yeah the two sensors came with it. Fitted by ATS euromaster, i wouldn't dare go anywhere near halfords, and i have heard some bad stories about kwikfit (tyre salesmen, nothing more). All sorted, but i do have a clunking coming from my front brakes, can you guys have a look at my latest post regarding this? I added a video with the noise! cheers

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dannyboy007
      help please ladies and gents

I have recently purchased a IS250SE 2006 plate 81k mileage and this morning I received a warning light VSC and engine / wheel slide warnings. The car has been put on a diagnostic which is showing catalytic converter problem, does this sound right?

if so any ideas on where I can get this repaired at a reasonable price?

Thank you

Danny
    • By animus nocendi
      Hi,
      My DPF is so blocked I have to avoid driving at busy times or the engine will cut out.
      Can anyone recommend a decent company that can remove, clean and put the DPF back on?
      Has anyone removed their DPF and cleaned it out?
      My understanding is that they can be cleaned in one of the following ways:
      1. In a device which pumps pressured air through it, then it's placed in an over at 600-800 degrees C for several hours, then air pressures through it again.
      2. The Ceramix method where it's placed in water where ultrasound vibrates all the soot out, then pressurised air is pumped through to remove anything that is left.
      3. Remove DPF or have garage remove it, then DIY - use a water pressure washer to remove all soot, dry then put in back in.
      Any advice is appreciated. I'm not going to pay Lexus over £1000 for them to replace their faulty DPF. When I spoke to them they said that this happens on all diesel cars. Strange how it's never happened on any of my parents cars (X5 3.0d or E class (280d), or on any other family or friends vehicles.
    • By Dean1309
      Hi Guys,
      Wonder if you could help, I have got the EML now being displayed on the dash. Have code read the fault and it has come back with P0420 'Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1'. I know that this code can be triggered by many things such as an air leak in the exhaust, lambda sensors (but usually P01?? code is usually triggered) I have read the freeze frame data but im wondering if there is anyone that could understand the data more than what I can. From what I've read up on, the SHORTFT and LONGFT should be as close to 0 as possible. However from the freeze frame data you can see that the SHORTFT has a positive reading and the LONGFT has a negative reading where its trying to compansate and correct the fuel mixture.
      What I am wondering is, from this freeze frame data, could someone diagnose where for me to start replacing parts. I'm hoping that this is just a lamda sensor issue, I have already replaced the pre cat lamda sensor on Bank 1 (Denso part no DOX-0236). Without this help, my next step would have been to replace the lamda sensor by the main cat (not sure of the Denso part number for post cat sensor), so that bank 1 has had a replacement sensor before and after the cat, to see if this clears the code. I know that I might need to replace the cat, but at this moment in time I am trying the cheapest option first to resolve the issue. But all of your opinions are welcome.
      Here's the freeze frame data:

Other data from code reader:

I hope someone on this site can point me in the right direction.
      Many thanks,
      Dean
    • By pal1981
      hi,
      i have bought a 2008 is220d se-l with 71000 miles on it from lexus derby
      they told me that the cat was changed 12 months ago.
      just a quick one if they change the cat do they change the dpf aswell or is that separate to the cat?
      cheers