Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I greased the caliper slide pins today (front and back) - I make a point of doing this twice a year.

When I had the tyres off I noticed both front tyres have uneven tyre wear - they are both wearing on the inner edge of the tyre - other surfaces are fine and while not bald (yet) its noticeable that the inners are wearing unevenly.

I had an issue with tyre pressures for a while before I found out what that issue was (corrosion inside the wheel causing the tyre seal to break and leak air the same as a slow puncture. So it could be a result of that?

When I greased the slide pins back in March I did not notice any wear on the tyres but I have done a bit more miles than usual since then.

The first thing I will do is get the alignment checked as I do remember going over a bad pothole in April (felt like driving over a cave!!) - considering the wear is on the inner os both front tyres is there anything else that could be checked?

Oh - and two healthchecks done by Lexus on the current recalls (fuel seal and airbag) - both this month have not indicated any issues with the obvious wear on the tyres but they did say the caliper operation were a bit tight !! Had a look today before re-greasing the pins and theres nothing wrong with them!!

Just now, rayaans said:

Alignment and bushes would be the first things to check

Seems like there may be excessive negative camber up front

I posted as you replied - from the picture it looks like Toe Wear - is it conceivable to think that there could be an issue with bushes on both sides - would one failing on say the passenger side produce the same wear on both tyres?

Just now, is200 Newbie said:

I posted as you replied - from the picture it looks like Toe Wear - is it conceivable to think that there could be an issue with bushes on both sides - would one failing on say the passenger side produce the same wear on both tyres?

Both usually tend to go at the same time more or less. 

Its on the inner edge so could be - but most likely to be alignment.

Also the IS range is know for inner tyre wear. It's well documented. Get your car on a Hunter machine for getting it sorted. Kwik fit tracking etc is useless. 

On 8/28/2017 at 6:17 PM, Arqum said:

Also the IS range is know for inner tyre wear. It's well documented. Get your car on a Hunter machine for getting it sorted. Kwik fit tracking etc is useless. 

Most kwik fit centres have hunter machines now

Its not the machine - plenty of other machines out there which do the same job - its the monkey thats adjusting the wheel that is to blame.

• Like 1

I can't recall owning any car that's had perfect tyre wear. You can have it all set up on the hunter machine but with the amount of pot holes on our roads today thr tracking will be thrown out in no time.

Mmm, I've not had a car that exhibited abnormal tyre wear!  

My RC has very even wear across both front and rear tyres, only 6k miles so far though. Hopefully Lexus won't disappoint me...