Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SUV Recommendations

I am thinking that I might change my car quite soon.

I really love the NX300h but it is likely to be beyond my budget.  I know that quite a number of members on here are very experienced at researching the car market.

With that in mind, and bearing in mind that the NX is too new for there to be some reasonably priced second-hand available, I wonder what other brands might come recommended at under £25K.

With my very limited techie ability, I'm not too sure on the best way to search the market.  For instance, if I go into Auto-Trader and look at say Renault for instance as the make, when I then click on the 'model' I have no idea which are the 4x4/SUV's and which variant to look at..

Any tips please?

Many thanks.

If you click 'More options' under the red 'Search 476,161 cars'  button on the Autotrader homepage, it brings up eight category icons (including SUV!) plus all the other searchable variables.

If not a nearly new NX, how about an older RX just to keep in the Lexus fold?

Definitely recommend the RX450h.  £25k will buy you a Gen3 model from a Lexus dealer with all the Lexus warranties etc. See https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/lexus/rx?country=gb&customer=&unitSystem=imperial&currency=GBP&model=618||612||1478||1892||2327&mcategory=all&searchstring=&price_from=&price_to=&reg_date_from=&reg_date_to=&km_from=&km_to=&kw_from=&kw_to=&emission_from=&emission_to=&gas=&gears=&color=&zip=&radius=80&manufacturer=31 for details.  People on here will tell you all about the different specifications but to be fair they all come pretty well equipped, even the base model.  It's a supremely comfortable, luxurious and for its size reasonably economical (mid 30s is easily achievable) SUV.  Plus it comes very high in the reliability ratings and best of all it's a Lexus!

Definitely an MK3 RX over an NX. The refinement is at another level with the RX range compared to the NX.

If you were a few weeks earlier, my RX F-Sport was sold for £23500 with 46k miles on it - 2012 and was immaculate. If you want a Premier, they'll be around the same price but harder to find.

Brilliant! Thank you so much for your input chaps, I knew that I could rely on you.  When I was looking to change my IS250 SEL I was very very close to getting a CT200h, it was only at the last minute that I came across the 300h and was immediately in love with it and got one.

I really do want to stay with Lexus if possible and so will do a bit of searching.  Thanks again.

Thank you too to Glyn for the search tip re Auto-Trader. I wasn't aware of that option.  I will have a go at that, thanks.

Have been doing some mooching around and I do like the RX450h and, there seems to be a few around within my budget.

Am I right in thinking that the Advance is the next one down from the Premier?

Just wondering if I am better off selling mine privately, I would hope to get more than I would by doing P/X.  Mine is immaculate with less than 13K on the clock, fully serviced at the selling dealership plus, it has an extended warranty that runs to December 2018.

Any ideas what I might expect to get for it?

• Like 1

The Advance is pretty much the same as the Luxury except it gives you the choice of a pan roof or an opening sunroof.you also get the sport front spoiler(2014 on)and you get adaptive headlamps.

12 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Thank you too to Glyn for the search tip re Auto-Trader. I wasn't aware of that option.  I will have a go at that, thanks.

No problem Geoff, I am a frequent visitor to Autotrader (to say the least!).

Depending on your budget, you could stay within the Toyota family with a RAV4 if you want another hybrid. I've only driven the diesel (shudder) version for work and it was a pretty good bit of kit. Of other SUVs I driven for work I think the most impressive was the Hyundai Tuscon, surprisingly better than the Qashqai, I thought. But none of these are going to get close to an RX in terms of quality; you're coming from a hybrid so that's half the battle! 

When (if!?) it comes to trade-in, if you are insulted by the dealer, let me know; an IS300h in Mesa might just be what I am after next... :smile:

Hi Geoff

I've got a pre-facelift Advance.  I've attached a file with a brochure including the Advance (page 25 on).  It has adaptive headlights option of sun or pan (panoramic) roof, underrun protection front and back, premium sound (one below Mark Levinson) etc. etc.. 

Pan roof is almost full length.  Must admit I'm a big fan of sunroofs; they make the interior light and airy and with the increased height of an SUV they don't impact on headroom.  I'm saying that as a 6 footer but it's possible that taller people might have problems as they do encroach a bit more than a standard roof.  I very rarely open the roof it's primarily for the light it brings to the interior   

Lexus RX 450h including RX Advance.pdf

Hello Geoff, Thank you so much for your time to reply and to include the attachment.  It all looks very interesting.  I'm going to print it off and take it with me to Cornwall on Saturday

I have to say that the RX450h looks a lovely motor.  I just hope that I might be able to get a good enough deal to enable me to change.  The trouble with me is that I'm a great fan of all the goodies, SatNav, Leather Seats etc. etc. and of course, all of this will increase the cost.  Might get a big win on the Premium Bonds tomorrow though eh!.......fat chance!.  Although I suppose that someone has to be a winner.

Hi Geoff. 

Leather is standard on all grades(Premier gets aniline) and every model apart from the SE has some form of sat nav as standard.  Once you buy used the price difference between a full spec and a base model tends to decrease; mileage, service history, number of owners and condition tend to have a bigger influences so you may (hopefully!) find that all or most of the goodies are within reach.  In addition unlike German luxury cars there tend to be very few options on Lexus models; you just buy the grade (or two) above to get what you want.  That means you don't have to do a lot of trawling around for what you want; you just decide which specification e.g. SE-L, Sport, Premier etc. and then choose the one in that trim that is the best fit in terms of price, condition etc.  As you don't want a sunroof you can knock off the list the Advance and Premier and as you want Sat Nav you can dismiss the SE.  That's how easy it is; try doing that with an Audi, BMW, Merc, Volvo, Alfa, etc.!).  Page 18 of the brochure is the one to look at:-) 

Hope this helps

Geoff

Thanks again Geoff for your very comprehensive reply.  I am away for a week shortly and so won't be able to do anything until I get back.  I will probably pop into the dealer to have a look at what they might have available.  I would prefer to stick with Lexus if I can but, I was also taken with this ..........

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708248657908?postcode=ex84el&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&make=BMW&aggregatedTrim=xLine&radius=1500&model=X1&fuel-type=Petrol&transmission=Automatic&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

A friend has the X3 which might also be worth considering.

If I do manage to stay with Lexus, I would prefer to get a Premier model and so might have to consider one that is slightly older or with more miles on the clock.

Bit late to the party, but the Advance model is technically below the F-Sport but above the Luxury. It doesn't have the HUD for example which the F-Sport had as standard. 

That X1 is a CAT C write off!! Hence, the price. 

You may want to look at the X1 beforehand as the quality is similiar to a 1 series. Im not a fan of the X1 and X3, they're refinement is not a patch on the RX, or even the IS for that matter and the quality leaves much to be desired. Reliability is a key area for concern with them too and parts are expensive!

22 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Bit late to the party, but the Advance model is technically below the F-Sport but above the Luxury. It doesn't have the HUD for example which the F-Sport had as standard. 

That X1 is a CAT C write off!! Hence, the price. 

You may want to look at the X1 beforehand as the quality is similiar to a 1 series. Im not a fan of the X1 and X3, they're refinement is not a patch on the RX, or even the IS for that matter and the quality leaves much to be desired. Reliability is a key area for concern with them too and parts are expensive!

Thank you Rayaan, reliable input as ever, much appreciated.  How did you manage to suss out that the BMW is a CAT C?  I was wondering about the good price.  Good job that people like me have people like you for expert help.  I'm always very appreciative of the input from fellow members.

Have you any knowledge of the RAV 4 or the C-HR?

EDIT.  I have just been back into the advert and spotted the CAT C.  I don't normally scroll that far down, lesson learned!!! Thank you

4 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Thank you Rayaan, reliable input as ever, much appreciated.  How did you manage to suss out that the BMW is a CAT C?  I was wondering about the good price.  Good job that people like me have people like you for expert help.  I'm always very appreciative of the input from fellow members.

Have you any knowledge of the RAV 4 or the C-HR?

EDIT.  I have just been back into the advert and spotted the CAT C.  I don't normally scroll that far down, lesson learned!!! Thank you

RAV-4 as expected is very reliable but the interior quality again leaves much to be desired. The engines aren't the best albeit the hybrid model which uses the same running gear as the NX. The C-HR is doing quite well and I would say it has a better interior than the RAV-4

However, it uses the Prius powertrain so can be a bit noisy on the move. Also, its not exactly huge inside and IMO it doesn't have the space an SUV should do

I can recommend a new Tiguan R-line though. I have a friend who got one in white, looks great and drives well too. However 3RX vs new tiguan - Id still go for the 3RX as its so refined but ultimately depends on what you want.

Just loaded up the car for the trip to Cornwall.  It has made my mind up, I will be looking to change when I get back!

Fingers crossed for some good weather, doesn't look that hopeful.  I have loads of relatives all over the county so will be able to fill the wet days with a bit of family chit chat.

• 1 month later...
On 01/09/2017 at 4:52 PM, rayaans said:

RAV-4 as expected is very reliable but the interior quality again leaves much to be desired. The engines aren't the best albeit the hybrid model which uses the same running gear as the NX. The C-HR is doing quite well and I would say it has a better interior than the RAV-4

However, it uses the Prius powertrain so can be a bit noisy on the move. Also, its not exactly huge inside and IMO it doesn't have the space an SUV should do

I can recommend a new Tiguan R-line though. I have a friend who got one in white, looks great and drives well too. However 3RX vs new tiguan - Id still go for the 3RX as its so refined but ultimately depends on what you want.

Speaking from personal experience, if you are looking at a VW Tiguan, beware the DSG gearbox amongst other things. Apart from being hesitant and clunky to drive, mine went bang (literally) on the M1 at only 40k miles - under warranty fortunately - but it took weeks for VW to replace it. The reason? The gearboxes were on back order due to the number failing and my dealer alone had four cars of various types awaiting new boxes.

Other than that, the paintwork quality was terrible, the interior rattled, the touchscreen started to fail and the driver's seat and carpet wore badly. Quality was - to be frank - hopeless. I also had two acquaintances with similar experiences, one needing a new engine and gearbox. 

I only now buy Japanese cars as VAG 'quality' is a myth in my personal experience and that of quite a few friends, relatives and colleagues.

59 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Speaking from personal experience, if you are looking at a VW Tiguan, beware the DSG gearbox amongst other things. Apart from being hesitant and clunky to drive, mine went bang (literally) on the M1 at only 40k miles - under warranty fortunately - but it took weeks for VW to replace it. The reason? The gearboxes were on back order due to the number failing and my dealer alone had four cars of various types awaiting new boxes.

Other than that, the paintwork quality was terrible, the interior rattled, the touchscreen started to fail and the driver's seat and carpet wore badly. Quality was - to be frank - hopeless. I also had two acquaintances with similar experiences, one needing a new engine and gearbox. 

I only now buy Japanese cars as VAG 'quality' is a myth in my personal experience and that of quite a few friends, relatives and colleagues.

I was referring to the new Tiguan. They look awesome and drive pretty well.

Regardless, you'll understand given my personal experience and that of too many friends and acquaintances why I could never have or recommend a VW. Unless it was a recommendation to somebody I really didn't like...:whistling1:

As for the looks, that's a matter of opinion. I think they look bland and oddly proportioned.

Well TBH with you, my second car was a 1996 VW Passat in that golden yellow colour which they've brought back now on the new Golf - it was bulletproof. My son's had an 06 Polo as his first car, it was also bulletproof. He currently has a souped up VW Golf MK5 which also seems to be bulletproof although he's only done 5k miles in it but its still 10 years old with 70k on the clock.

On 03/10/2017 at 11:13 PM, rayaans said:

Well TBH with you, my second car was a 1996 VW Passat in that golden yellow colour which they've brought back now on the new Golf - it was bulletproof. My son's had an 06 Polo as his first car, it was also bulletproof. He currently has a souped up VW Golf MK5 which also seems to be bulletproof although he's only done 5k miles in it but its still 10 years old with 70k on the clock.

To be fair, we are all coloured by our own experiences. Somewhere there is somebody who will never have another Lexus, although I guess the odds of that are somewhat smaller.

In my case with VAG, I've owned three VWs and two were a reliability nightmare. My Sister and her husband had three Audis (A4 and A6) and had one new engine and one new DSG gearbox (under warranty) as well as a number of more minor issues. They've driven Honda and Subaru for a few years since without issues.

Oh, my other Sister had an Octavia DSG which had major issues under warranty. A former colleague had a Tiguan that needed...a new DSG gearbox under warranty too. Just last week my neighbour traded his 2015 Golf as he'd started having issues with his DSG gearbox and wanted rid while it was under warranty.

Maybe I'm just unlucky? Either way, I'm never taking the risk with a VAG product again.