Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RC-Fs at Silverstone this weekend

gdh300

I promised the mods I wouldn't start yet another Lexus motorsport thread, but I think this weekend's events warrants a renegement for us UK residents, namely... Lexus will be racing at Silverstone this weekend! 

The GT Open series - after a bit of a break - returns for round five (of seven) this weekend at the famed old Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire circuit. The two teams running a pair of RC-F each - Emil Frey and Farnbacher Racing - have been testing at Barcelona recently so the expected cool conditions at Silverstone should prove a contrast. However, the Balance Of Performance formula will have been reassessed before a wheel turns for free practice on Friday, and hopefully things will favour the RC-Fs a little more than has been evident in recent races. High speed corners at Silverstone may well play to the Lexus strengths if the pattern of the early season can be repeated.

As is normal for GT Open, there will be two races this weekend, one on Saturday (70 minutes), one on Sunday (60 minutes). Both days have a qualifying session for the GT3s and support races of Radical European Master and Euroformula Open. Tickets are a bargain £15 for Saturday and £26 for Sunday; a ticket for both days on the gate costs £30. Of course, if you can't make it, there will be extensive streaming on the GT Open YouTube channel.

I will be there both days, waving a flag for Lexus; may be see some of you there. 

Well, what a cracking weekend that was! I won't mention the result in case anyone is catching-up on the GT Open YouTube channel, but I will post a picture of the low-key Lexus display in the paddock at the back of the Emil Frey garage. 

First chance I've had to be see an LC500 in the metal; wow, what a stunning bit of kit. Such beautiful detailing, all over. In the background is a GT3 spec RC-F which - as far as I could tell - was the genuine #14 car from the IMSA Weathertech Series. I'm amazed Lexus paid for it to flown over from The States and then just leave it sitting round unattended in the paddock. Perhaps I'd missed some big corporate walk-around, or may be it's a bit of a mock-up from a European GT3 testing hack. Either way, great to see it up close. Like a lot of racing cars, surprisingly rough and ready close-up. The car fibre on display is actually a wrap of good old aluminium sheet in places.

And by the way, the RC-Fs of Emil Frey and Farnbacher racing sound amazing, somewhere between the guttural throb of the SLS and the flat-beat of the Bentley. 

20170903_133001.jpg

Hope you enjoy the recorded stream, Sean. Such a shame GT racing doesn't get more exposure; its not a massive deviation from the truth to say there were more marshals at Silverstone last weekend than spectators.

I see you have an RC-F, so here is a better shot of that IMSA GT3 (taken on Saturday, when it was sunnier): 

20170902_121140.jpg

would love that wrap on the car (minus sponsors logos) that blue is beautiful. Will try the stream if I get time at work with a coffee. Cheers! Will have a look at the race calendar for future events. I guess next year for us now?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Sadly, yes; no more Lexus GTs this year in the UK. But, if you have the cash and the time, what could be better than the last weekend in September at Monza? Or the last weekend in October at Barcelona?

Personally, I'm hoping the strong performances of Emil Frey and Farnbacher Racing will persuade other teams to perhaps abandon their SLSs or Huricans and switch to the RC-F, assuming the supply is available. A win in IMSA Weathertech would also do wonders state-side, I think. And if these come to pass, maybe a move to the Blancpain Endurance series? And who knows, in a couple of years time, may be to the rarefied atmosphere of LM-GTE at Le Mans... 

In the background is a GT3 spec RC-F which - as far as I could tell - was the genuine #14 car from the IMSA Weathertech Series.

It most certainly was and it's British driver jack Hawksworth was also at Silverstone.

On 07/09/2017 at 6:57 AM, j8pfc said:

It most certainly was and it's British driver Jack Hawksworth was also at Silverstone.

That's good to know, John. And I'm sure Jack's name will be in the frame if it ever comes to a Lexus backed assault on the Blancpain GT Series.

I got to know jack when he was driving Indy cars. My son lives in Indianapolis.

He was offered the Lexus drive and it was too good an opportunity to turn down..

He's a good lad, very down to earth and a very good driver.

i think he wants to 'conquer' America first!!

I can see why he'd want to; a couple of season in IMSA will be a great education for him. And if he likes the lifestyle Stateside, he could have a glittering career ahead of him. Depends how down-to-earth a Yorkshire man he is; I mean what could beat testing at a wet and windy Silverstone?!