Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Upgrade Advice

Need some help and advice gents. So I've had enough of my OEM Bridgestones and wanted to change to the Michelin PS4s tyres all round. I thought I might as well upgrade the sizes from OEM to 245/35/19 fronts and 275/30/19 rears. Got to Costco today after ordering them a few days ago only to be told they refuse to fit them as the are not the manufactures recommended size and it will invalidate your insurance.

1st I've heard something like this as I'm sticking to the correct load and speed rating.

Any advice please? You guys who have upgraded the size told your insurance company?

When I got my isf the previous owner had the larger tyres fitted. Worried it would invalidate my insurance I called Admiral. They marked it down as non standard wheels or something similar and charged me £20. Maybe Costco panic about being held liable in the event of an accident, seems a bit OTT. Maybe @Rusty CrobarCan help,  after making the change to wider tyres himself. 

Hi. I had the wider size fitted at costco, he just said to Me did You know they are not standard size and i said yes and that a lot of people are running those sizes. He said ok no problem. Once fitted he said they fit even better than the standard size. 

I have been running the wider size tyres for a year now (now on second set).

My friend works for kwikfit and gets them for me at trade price and fits them for free :-)

He has no concerns over them no fitting.  It would be a different matter if I wanted to run stretched tyres like the VW boys love to do :-(

And no issues with insurance either.  As long as tyres match or exceed load and speed rating of original tyre spec then it was ok with them.

Just reading on the forums in the us. Seems like a guy sued costco after he had an accident and he blamed them for fitting wong size tyres and won the claim.

Since then they only fit standard tyres sizes. Guess i just got lucky 

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/archive/index.php/t-41207.html

In the motorbike world I have always found tyre manufacturers very helpful, they usually have a technical help line that isn't used much. Phone up relevant company if they have a UK office and ask them for advice. Perhaps have a mobile fitter come to your house and fit to loose wheels? Show him an email from the tyre manufacturer saying it's ok and also keep said email. It would also be wise to tell the insurance company they can refuse a claim if the modification was shown to be a causal factor int he accident. With tyres that is going to be easy to do even if not necessarily true. 

I've also spoken at length before to an engineer at NGK - I called up with a question and he phoned me later and explained everything I wanted to know and seemed delighted to do so. 

Michelin: http://www.michelin.co.uk/contact

Of course. You need to ask the right non-model specific question. Which of your tyres can I fit to a (insert size) rim with load rating of (x)

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

here is the statement from Costco T&C's:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/content/tyreDisclaimer

STANDARD TYRE INSTALLATION

Costco will only install tyres authorised for a specific vehicle. If you are unsure if your purchase is an authorised fitment, please contact your local Costco tyre centre for assistance.

8 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Of course. You need to ask the right non-model specific question. Which of your tyres can I fit to a (insert size) rim with load rating of (x)

They still ask make and model of car......

I run wider tyres on wider wheels, told the insurance company about the wheels but not tyres per se. 

As comedian says a claim would only be refused if the accident was directly caused by the tyres, which would only really happen if they were below thelegal limit. It's highly unlikely that anyone would ever check your tyre size, especially if you are on standard rims. Frankly insurance companies are more focused on fraudsters and drink drivers, not lexus drivers!

My wife bumped a car in the car park needing a new wing. Insurance denied payment due to having alloy wheels (dealer option) rather than steel. I called up and said we agreed to mods to 'best of our knowledge' as far as we knew they were standard. (It was a pre-reg car) and they alloys were not a factor in accident and wheels were not damaged or being claimed for. They paid out, listed alloys on policy for no extra charge. It's important to be in the right so you can fight them. If you're right you will win, if you're wrong you won't.

Answers seems to lean towards telling the insurance about the increase in tyre size. It will be classified as a mod. Costco are by far the cheapest for tyres fitted but they refuse to fit.