Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS460 went in for some bits to be done

Hello all,

So the car went in yesterday to have new front disks and pads fitted (again) the previous owner had them changed about 8000miles ago but they were warped and the car was pulling to the left.

I did say to the dealership to look for binding callipers,they said everything was working well ... (could not see why it was pulling to the left without pressing on brakes) they said it would be tyres and tracking, I installed brand new bridgestone Potenza's S001 on the front and also did a 4-way tracking and still was pulling to the left.

Since they replaced the brakes, everything is working well... I opted to have them done by the dealership as the cost was not much only £350 all in. And also I get the 12 month parts warranty plus if it is the calliper causing the whole problem then they will own up to it and put it under the extended warranty.

In the meantime the dealership have replaced under the extended warranty the rear differential seal as it was leaking a bit of oil, they had one in stock but they did not like the shape of it before they remove it from the packaging therefore they ordered a new one and changed it this morning.

While the car was in the garage I asked them to have a look at something strange that had developed, I assumed it would just be the case of an adjustment?.... the glovebox dropped a few mm ... therefore it now bounces when it is in the closed position. No rattle sound... just annoying to catch with the corner of your eye.
The dealership mentioned something about a service bulletin and that there is no adjustment that can take place. Therefore the mechanism has to be replaced. I said OK, have a look maybe with the warranty people and see what happens.

Apparently the warranty people had to come today to the garage to inspect the glovebox due to the high cost of the repair before they consider the claim... I then asked what is the cost? I then was told just over £3,000!!!!
Anyhow I expect an answer next week hopefully.

Just make sure you look after your gloveboxes! lol :D

Cheers

• Like 2

To save £3000, I would live with the gap and find a hack to stop it bouncing. 

The LS460 does not seem to be a car to own, when it is much older, to run on the "cheap" Having said that, compared with depreciation, £350 for brakes from a Lexus dealer is not horrendous - but £3000 for a glovebox.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I would love that Mehari! It goes against most of my gut instincts. French - open to the British elements - old - over priced - gaudy colour - rust bucket underneath the shiny paint. BUT ...... I still love it! Thank goodness I have a wife who keeps the password to eBay auctions!

• Like 1

Going totally off the theme but when anyone mentions old Citroens!  2CV, DS and Traction Avant figure in my all time favourite cars!

And back on theme totally agree that this forum is brilliant; so helpful and knowledgeable.

I owned two 2cvs and a dyane ( the posh version of the 2cv remember them ?) in my student days. They were absolute stinking old rustbuckets that i kept on the road with velcro double sided tape and even a cut open coca cola can to repair a hole in the exhaust. When a repair was too expensive ( new battery) i just threw them away!  Fond memories of those times no money no problems.. bought those cars for around 50 euro!! Mind you in those days there were no rules or regulations no mot and the police had other things to do.

however just dont get an accident as safety was not part of the design! Great cars and a monument to focused engineering

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

I owned two 2cvs and a dyane ( the posh version of the 2cv remember them ?) in my student days. They were absolute stinking old rustbuckets that i kept on the road with velcro double sided tape and even a cut open coca cola can to repair a hole in the exhaust. When a repair was too expensive ( new battery) i just threw them away!  Fond memories of those times no money no problems.. bought those cars for around 50 euro!! Mind you in those days there were no rules or regulations no mot and the police had other things to do.

however just dont get an accident as safety was not part of the design! Great cars and a monument to focused engineering

A bit like the French miss the guilotine!

We have owned a lot of French cars, even now have a Renault Laguna Coupe which I do enjoy driving as my daily commuter.

However I do like my creature comforts.. lol :) I would not like much of a 2CV.

I would not even think of paying £3000 of my own pocket... lol for a glovebox. Lets hope the warranty does though. :-)

oh oh ... we were given the LC500 V8 for 2hrs test drive last Saturday ... ooohh yes :D :D lol

It did turn all the heads! for sure drivers or passing by's

such a lovely car!

IMG_20170826_125205.jpg

IMG_20170826_125239.jpg

IMG_20170826_125249.jpg

IMG_20170826_125305.jpg

IMG_20170826_125426.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KentIS300 said:

the LC500 V8 for 2hrs test drive last Saturday ... ooohh yes :D :D lol

Oh nooo, I see one major problem in the design, the front end is far to low for some speed bumps (here in london) and some ramps without the front bottom colliding with them, I've seen that happen many, many times here in London, a '96 LS I had also caught one speed bump and knocked some of the plastic off but that beauty in the photo is far to low for some ramps, maybe lexus should be informed, it would be a pity to see a car like that with such damage.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chris Skelton said:

A nice 2CV wouldn't hit speed bumps-

Well well, I see you lack experience of the 'bump scrape' soundsss..........why not spend £76,595.00 on a new LC500 & drive round london for an hour, just to tell folks "Ive had the bl**dy experience".........no, that cars far to low by far at front end to get away with it in london........any comments from other cities on that subject?

my Ls400 wheels go either side of the standard speed bumps !  I guess not many cars are quite that wide ..............  the whole road width ones are of course not quite the same tolerances :whistling1: 

However, I have lost my front lip to even low kerbs when parking up close and personal to one and had the remnants of the lip surgically removed a couple of years ago now ............. it doesn't detract from the look of my car at all ........  but then i am " old school " and perhaps a little more functional and accepting of slight intolerances and imperfections

Malc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

my Ls400 wheels go either side of the standard speed bumps !  I guess not many cars are quite that wide ..............  the whole road width ones are of course not quite the same tolerances :whistling1: 

However, I have lost my front lip to even low kerbs when parking up close and personal to one and had the remnants of the lip surgically removed a couple of years ago now ............. it doesn't detract from the look of my car at all ........  but then i am " old school " and perhaps a little more functional and accepting of slight intolerances and imperfections

Malc

I used t o have to move into the centre of the road  and run over both speed bumps in my  DHP with it being lower than the standard 400. I found I had more trouble with the rear catching on the humps. No problem now as I  have changed over to an RX450H, so now straddle any bumps without problems.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

My old Citroen DSs used to sail over speed bumps quite nicely-AND cruise at 100 mph!

Style and comfort.

Just sold my Citroen XM 3 litre car today. No more big cars for me, I think.

That made me feel sad. Why have you decided to let her go?

Aging bones.....well, just aging!

Am happier in a small car, buzzing about. Couldn't get comfortable in the XM.Looking for a Smart Forfour 1.5 auto-original version.

I have many good car/Citroen memories.

Owned several DSs. Went around Spain in '84 in my Traction Avant Commerciale (world's first hatchback?). Across France and Spain in the CX, etc...

....though one of my favourite cars was my Nissan S-Cargo; it brought smiles to everyone who saw it-and the driver.

Spread smiles throughout the world?

snail x 2.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

Aging bones.....well, just aging!

Am happier in a small car, buzzing about. Couldn't get comfortable in the XM.Looking for a Smart Forfour 1.5 auto-original version.

I have many good car/Citroen memories.

Owned several DSs. Went around Spain in '84 in my Traction Avant Commerciale (world's first hatchback?). Across France and Spain in the CX, etc...

....though one of my favourite cars was my Nissan S-Cargo; it brought smiles to everyone who saw it-and the driver.

Spread smiles throughout the world?

snail x 2.jpg

That Nissan S Cargo has brought smiles and smiles to my face Chris .A delightful car that looks just as practical as it does quirky.

I once drove a Citroen XM  from  Central London to the Liverpool Waterfront. IT WAS DARK GREEN and had a manual gearbox and a floor operated hand/foot brake. It was rather difficult to move off when releasing the foot (left) operated brake and the foot (left) operated clutch at the same time !!

Regards

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links