Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h dashboard speaker upgrade

Hi,

I don’t think I’m the only one that considers the overall sound quality of the standard audio system in the IS300h to be disappointing. Upgrading the speakers can result in an improvement in sound quality in just about any audio system and that’s what I’ve begun to do with my IS300h, starting with the dash speakers.

Unfortunately it was not a straight forward plug in and bolt in job, a bit of tweaking and butchering is required.

I replaced the stock dash speakers with a pair of Pioneer TS-E1002I. The stock speakers have standard bolt spacing and that is the only part of the fitting that was right from the start. The stock speakers are unusually small for what are essentially 10cm speakers. I measured the speaker cones at less than 5cm! Some headphones have drivers that size, they really are feeble, nasty things.

The Pioneers are deeper and wider than stock and it was necessary to use a stanley knife to trim away some of the internal plastic of the dash to make some space for the Pioneers. More of this trimming was needed for the passenger side than the driver side. The speaker space is not symetrical between left and right, indeed the speaker grilles are different sizes which I didn’t notice until I had them off. Luckily the plastic is quite soft.

Because the Pioneer speakers are deeper than stock I had to mount them 5 or 6mm higher up to clear some of the ventilation system ducting that runs close to the speakers. I used rubber grommets as spacers, If I had some washers of the right size at hand I probably would have used a stack of them instead. I might go back and do so yet. As a precaution I also trimmed away some plastic from the underside of the grilles to create a little more clearance above the speakers.

The biggest fiddle was electrically connecting the speakers. I scoured the internet for ready made IS300h dash speaker adaptors but couldn’t find any. That left two oprions, cut the existing plug off and use crimps or make my own adaptor using the sockets molded into the stock speaker. Although crimps were my first choice I decided against them because the loom wires feeding the speakers are short and you have very little working space with them tight into a corner. So I carefully cut the sockets off the stock speakers, filed them down into neat pieces and then soldered on the wires supplied with the Pioneers. A lump of epoxy putty at the back of the sockets sealed the connections in.

All in all a bit of fiddling and faffing about but the result was worth it. The improvement in sound quality is substantial. Front doors next :walkman:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not something I would undertake myself, I'm happy with what the car came with personally. 

I commend your efforts however, I'm sure someone else will want to do the same having seen you do so now. 

i changed the speakers when i had my Ct same issue with the wiring so i made a lead up

using the type in the attached image, i removed 1 of the legs of the connector

and this fitted into the lexus speaker plug this enabled me to return to the original setup.

spade.jpg

I really notice the difference in downgrading from the 8 speaker Premium Nav in my old SE to the Standard 6 speakers in the new Sport.

I'm far too much of a chicken to attempt that though, I just turn up the volume to hide the inadequacies :whistling1:

Having come from Audi's with BOSE and B&O systems the ML in the Lexus if far superior, great quality sound and so loud - took me a while to realise there was a setting that was adjusting the volume in accordance with speed, once I turned that off the system is dynamite!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. I too have carried out this (really easy) speaker mod and replaced with some very nice Audison 4" coax speakers. My issue is that the whilst the tweeter is crisp and clear the 4" cone seems to hardly move at all or give out much sound.

I am working on the theory that there is a crossover (in the amp I assume) and this filters out all but the hi end frequencies down the wires to the these front speakers which are (to be fair) installed as tweeters.

Twozero3 - is this your experience and if not can anyone advise

1. Why my 4" cone is quite unresponsive?

2. If I want to check or change the amp in my is300h where the dickens is it. Spent the past week trying to find it or find a post/video/diagram that explains where its located. Tearing my hair out!

Any help much appreciated (ex Alfa GT owner until last weekend  lol)

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 1:43 PM, nitram1963 said:

Hi. I too have carried out this (really easy) speaker mod and replaced with some very nice Audison 4" coax speakers. My issue is that the whilst the tweeter is crisp and clear the 4" cone seems to hardly move at all or give out much sound.

I am working on the theory that there is a crossover (in the amp I assume) and this filters out all but the hi end frequencies down the wires to the these front speakers which are (to be fair) installed as tweeters.

Twozero3 - is this your experience and if not can anyone advise

1. Why my 4" cone is quite unresponsive?

2. If I want to check or change the amp in my is300h where the dickens is it. Spent the past week trying to find it or find a post/video/diagram that explains where its located. Tearing my hair out!

Any help much appreciated (ex Alfa GT owner until last weekend  lol)

Martin

Hi Martin,

Have a look at this diagram, it shows the rough location of the amps.

did you use to own a 156? I used to be the SW area rep for AO

838606027_Screenshot2018-12-03at20_14_46.thumb.png.29b757bbd462385290303a4bac0b36c1.png

Thanks Jayw13702. Will check the boot area at the weekend - its gotta be there somewhere - then I need to workout if the output is tweakable! I suspect not but worth a look before I research a new amp.

Oh and no I never owned a 156 but the Alfa was so much fun to drive, totally different beast to the Lexus although the Lexus is so comfortable and easy to drive which I kinda like (getting old - lol).

Not enough experience yet to comment on changing the 8 speaker system but worth researching if you have the cash and inclination to to it yourself.

• 1 year later...

I had the same non-ML speakers which were terrible and have replaced the dash and front door speaker.  The dash was pretty straight forward but the 8 inch front door speakers required some work due to the way they protrude out.  Cutting out some MDF and a good ream of sound deadening material got in sitting nicely with enough room for the window to wind down behind.  Overall a vast improvement in the sound quality which is great. For some reason the web page doesn't want to upload the new door speaker images so unable to share that one, but you can see the 8 inch old version here that was taken out

spacer.pngIMG_0937.thumb.jpg.ce4926f06a32f7a227ae6a5b17dd297b.jpgIMG_0935.thumb.jpg.d242c49e5a65bde50a6bdcd80e772902.jpg

are all the speakers you used from the focal range,

what part numbers did you use for each of the

speakers that you replaced as this information

would be of great help to others on this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Great write up, I’ve been waiting for a post like this. Different reason though, one of my front speakers cuts in and out (probably loose connector). Question, what is the technique and/or tools best suited to prise the plastic speaker grilles off without snapping anything or leaving gouge marks in the dash or grilles? Nice one!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gens I have  Install alpine s40 at the darsh. And I am very disappointing woth new sound. I wish I never done it. 

And because I have cut the standard speaker plugs off it ill be extremely hard to put the old speakers back. 

Have 6 speaker system. So I do t think I have amplifier at the back to change and make the alpine speakers sound properly. 

Any advice please 

Gents I have  replaced dash speakers with alpine s40 . And I am very disappointing with new sound. I wish I have never done it. 

And because I have cut the standard speaker plugs off it ill be extremely hard to put the old speakers back. 

I Have 6 speaker system f sport  15  So I don't think I have amplifier at the back  or pre wired cables at the boot to connect one.and make the alpine speakers sound properly. 

Any advice please ?

Fantastic write up. Looks like a fiddly job. How do I tell if I have 6 or 8 speaker audio? My IS300h is quite poorly spec'd so assume its the 6 speaker, but it sound fantastic! Needed a tweak on the very basic EQ, but I really like it. I am not sure how long the standard speakers will last though with how loud I like it! So I might upgrade the door speakers at some point. Do both the 6 and 8 speaker systems have a sub?

I would think twice before  changing them unless u put same but new ones.

Standart audio output have been tuned in for OEM speakers so unless u can find clean line audio output to connect external amplifier it is pointless to change the speakers 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links