Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grinding on left turns from osr

Andy Richards

I'd have thought you'd have heard a rumbling/droning noise way before a scraping noise if the wheel bearing had gone.

Could be that maybe the hand brake shoe retainer pin (that keep the shoes against the back plate) has snapped or something, and the shoe is tipping outwards slightly when turning left.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

I agree with Rick, it's likely to be something to do with the brakes or the brake disc. Sometimes, mostly with new discs, the lip facing the backing plate can catch the groove it matches up with in the backing plate causing a grating sound and this is known to show itself when cornering left or right. The cure is to grind down the lip.

Thanks for you replies gents, I have had the problem looked at a couple of weeks back where they removed the wheel and found no problem, they suggested that it could be the wheel bearing, I think i will book it in and get both rears done, I will post the out come.

P.S Nice body kit Neil !!

Thanks Andy before they do the bearings ask them to check the inner groove of the drum on the disc. You can't see the problem just by removing the wheel, the disc needs to come off.

If it's the bearing, as Rick said earlier, the noise is usually more of a whine or rhythmical drone and increases with speed, it too can be felt more on a high speed curve as more force comes on to the worn bearing but from the description, I would check the disc drum lip first. It's quite common and an easy fix for a garage. It happened on mine when I put the unrated discs on and I simply filed down the lip on the back plate just a little where it was catching the groove. I would post a pic but I don't think this is in my build thread. It may be in another forum. Alas I don't have access to all my files and pics from where I am at the moment.

Edited by Neil E
Accuracy

1 hour ago, Andy Richards said:

Yes about 2 months before the noise came

The lip on the back would be evident as soon as the discs were changed unless something has clouted the backing plate recently. Definitely a disc off job to take a look.

This tutorial I did for the GS should be very similar to the SC, if not exactly the same.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get on here Andy?

I would ask if the noise is only when turning left, is it sharp left (acute full lock) or slight left at speed say exiting a roundabout?

Bearings would normally grumble and be more noticeable with a left or right turn. On my LS430 the rear near side bearing caused a whine that increased in frequency with speed. In that case it was a rear bearing hub assembly that I had to replace. 

It was cheaper to buy 2 x Hub assembly from USA (£100) including import tax rather than source in the UK. I sold the second unwanted hub and got £60. 2 hours labour from the local garage £120 meant the cost of repairs was low.

There are some good posts on youtube regarding SC430 rear rotor and pad replacement worth checking if you want (like me) to appear less confused when explaining to a mechanic. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They do get rusty and should you want to get the front handling back like new again, there are some of my unwanted front new parts available on eBay currently at just £1.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-SC430-Front-Upper-Lower-Control-Arms-and-Track-Rod-Ends-/253203436723?hash=item3af419d4b3:g:d-AAAOSw6-BZ00cw

Would love them to go to an enthusiast here even if they go for nothing.

I emailed the seller about them last week but I totally forgot to bid on it as I was worried about the cambelt on my car, so now ive had that replaced, I'll bid on it