Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare tyre

Isle of Wight Lexus

My new to me SC 430 has a Dunlop fill and go system in the boot instead of a space saver spare, I believe it was delivered new with this system as there is a sticker in the owners manual talking about it. Bearing in mind the fill and go system has an expiry date from nine years ago what would anyone suggest I do, buy a new fill and go system or a spare tyre?

I have the same system, i bought a new fill and go system, Had my SC for 8 years and never used the spray. Slow puncture get to a tyre garage, if you get a tear you need to replace anyway as the spray wont stop it. I have the number for mobile tyre man i keep in the glove box. Thought about getting a spare tyre ruled it out due to boot space.

In more than 40 years of driving, I've only ever had a couple of punctures so when we had our first LPG conversion done about 10 years ago I wasn't worried about losing the spare wheel in favour of the LPG tank living in the spare wheel well. I always carry a can of Holts Tyreweld in the boot for small punctures and will call out the breakdown guys if it happens to be a bigger one, should I ever need to.

I have a space saver wheel. It doesn't take up that much room in practice. If you do any serious travelling I would recommend it with the amount of debris on the roads, it could save a long wait by the roadside. I speak from bitter experience. That said, the RAC say they carry a universal spare wheel on all their vans now because so many modern cars don't have a spare. If you have a blow out, the AA will try to find a mobile tyre fitter. 

On 06/09/2017 at 3:29 PM, Andy Richards said:

I have the same system, i bought a new fill and go system, Had my SC for 8 years and never used the spray. Slow puncture get to a tyre garage, if you get a tear you need to replace anyway as the spray wont stop it. I have the number for mobile tyre man i keep in the glove box. Thought about getting a spare tyre ruled it out due to boot space.

Thank you, useful. I've tried to buy new fill and go system direct from Dunlop in Germany but they won't sell to the UK (not quite sure why!) where did you get yours from?

In the past I've used the cheap aerosol versions (similar to what sorcerer mentioned) About 5 to 10 quid for a tin. As with any other foam only works for minor issues. I keep a couple in all our cars as missus/daughter can't change a wheel and I don't have a spare and don't want to use that over complicated system. Besides I would want to change a wheel unless car was in a safe place so even if you have a spare I'd still carry foam to get to a safe place for a full change.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I worried about the lack of a spare and decided to buy a spare full sized wheel/tyre to keep in my garage.

In the end I bought a set of 4 because that's what the guy was selling.

My thinking is that you rarely get a puncture that you don't wake up to at home especially with TPMS working. If you are unfortunate enough to get a blow out, then being an AA member already they should get me and the car home.

Spare sets or odd wheels can be very cheap - I tried to sell a set a while back and they got no attention at all on eBay. There are some expensive odd single and sets of tyres about and I would suggest keeping an eye out for 1-4. It certainly comforts me to know that I have spares at home should I need them, but you do need the storage space I suppose.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DaKa said:

I worried about the lack of a spare and decided to buy a spare full sized wheel/tyre to keep in my garage.

In the end I bought a set of 4 because that's what the guy was selling.

My thinking is that you rarely get a puncture that you don't wake up to at home especially with TPMS working. If you are unfortunate enough to get a blow out, then being an AA member already they should get me and the car home.

Spare sets or odd wheels can be very cheap - I tried to sell a set a while back and they got no attention at all on Ebay. There are some expensive odd single and sets of tyres about and I would suggest keeping an eye out for 1-4. It certainly comforts me to know that I have spares at home should I need them, but you do need the storage space I suppose.

The AA will get you home but it may take hours for them to find a mobile tyre fitter or a flatbed recovery truck so I have the space saver in the boot and a set of 4 original wheels and tyres at home. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...