Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A common problem - how did you solve it?

Ohoopee

So I am now encountering what appears to be a common problem with my Lexus model...the key fab.    When I first bought my IS 200 three years ago, the master key was already broken...well  just the black plastic part of the key fab...the keyless entry remote was still there and still works and so was the actual key.  So I did some searching around the internet and found a very cheap key fab on eBay that came with a blank key insert.  My plan was to buy this, take out the blank key, and put my original key and remote back in this plastic case.  Unfortunately, it appears impossible to find one of these Key fabs were the blank key is not permanently attached the black plastic part...unlike the real keys.  So since then I have my remote inside the new key fab with the blank and have been driving with the Valet Key.  This morning when I started my car, I felt a give and sure enough, now the black part of my Valet key is cracked and will soon break..so it is not going to be very long before I don't have a key.  I contacted my local Toyota dealership as the nearest Lexus dealership is about 2 hours away.  He told me a new master would be 260 Euro...that he would have to order the whole key then they would have to tune it to my car...I said to him...but I already have my remotes and keys...can't you just order a blank key without the remote so I can just put my original keys and remotes inside the plastic?  The idea of doing this seemed silly to him.  Plus it appears to be very difficult to find someone around here who can cut the keys besides the dealership.  Are there any other options besides paying the 260 Euro?

Not the best pictures but I think you will be able to see what you want to see...the one on the left is my original valet key that I have been using to drive.  The one on the right is a replacement fob I got off of eBay and I have the remote from my master key in it...I still have the master key it's self as well...all I really need to get my hands on are the black parts but every fob I find online the blank key is attached..just like the one in the right on the picture which the blank key is permanently attached to back part of the fob and can't be removed.  I don't really want to pay 260 Euro for a key especially when I have the working remotes and the working keys...I just need the black plastic parts.

20170907_171243.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your only option is to get the blank blade cut to pattern from the old master blade and insert the transponder from the old key, unless you really want to spend silly money on an alternative. The blank blade will have to be laser cut (not that they actually use a laser) it's just that the blade pattern has to be cut on both sides. Any auto locksmith worth their salt should be able to do it. Timpsons does it.

The blank blade looks a bit long. That in itself should not be a problem, it just means that your key will stick to a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some searching around, I found a lock company about 30 minutes away from me who claims they can repair the old keys...they claim to have a case with a lexus logo for the valet key (two button remote), and a black case, without lexus logo for the master key (3 button remote).  It is still going to be quit expensive for what they are actually providing, just the black plastic part of the key fob...but it is still considerably cheaper than getting a new key from Lexus.  I am thinking about giving them a try next week.