Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry if this is a daft question, but given the issues that the braking system can cause on these cars are you 100% that it is a sensor fault?

Dash lit up light a seasonally deocorated felled pine tree can be caused by the well known failure on the braking system, ABS, VSC and other lights lit and a dinging noise if i recall.

i'm trying to advise the mechanics who are currently investigating the fault,but haven't actually taken it apart to look into.

I'm hoping its just dirt/rust on the  sensor itself as it seems that this VSC light can be caused by a whole variety of issues.

It used to make the whining noise when applying the brake at slow speeds,one day this stopped altogether and now the VSC light stays on,the VSC button which used to turn it off or on,doesn't do anything now.

Is the abs light on as well? I'd have expected that to be lit if a sensor was faulty.

As you say vsc issues can be caused by many things, brake components (would expect abs light to be on though), but also ignition or throttle issues, and also things such as the yaw control components.

Probably worth either getting the codes read, or shorting the right pins in the diagnostic socket to do the "blink" counts on the lights to read the codes (sorry, on holiday at the moment so cannot point you to the correct method to do the code Reading). Without some pointers, you could be randomly changing all sorts, and racking up some substantial costs in the process.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

What are the symtoms?

we had major problems with our GS300, thinking it was the brake pump ... had this replaced (it was fine... not a problem on that)... wrongly spent money.

Then I thought it was the rear sensors... so got and replaced two of them ... not fixed the problem either.

What the problem was, the ABS rings inside the hubs were grinded down from the corrosion in the hubs them selves. Well known problem with these cars.

I had to get new rings and replace them... and also clean all the excess rust in the hubs.

This fixed my problems. Best done by a DIY ... than a garage though, not sure if a garage would like to tackle that kind of task.

FYI. Lexus does not sell the rings, they will only sell you the whole rear hub.. or driveshafts. which are more than the value of the car for each side.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/105942-rear-abs-rings-on-a-1998-mk2-gs300/