Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My first Lexus

First_Lexus

Good afternoon all,

I've just ordered my first Lexus - an NX300h Sport in Mercury Grey with the parking and protection packs - after a good few years with Honda. I'm currently a moderator over on the HondaKarma forum, and the move away from a brand I've had for quite some time and one that I have a great respect for has been a difficult decision.

Why an NX300h? Well, I only buy from Japanese manufacturers as I value the build quality and reliability after some bad experiences a few years ago with overpriced German rubbish - don't get me started on the VAG DSG gearbox! I looked at a new CR-V to replace my current CR-V, but to be frank I think it is a little out-dated now especially when compared to the Lexus. I like the way the NX looks, I like the interior quality and I liked the drive - in the end it was an easier decision than I expected.

There were two deciding factors - one positive reason for buying and one negative. The positive was the deal and service from Lexus Swindon which has been simply excellent. The negative was that Honda have what they call 'Connect' as their latest 'app' based satnav and audio system, and IMHO it is hopeless. I'm not into tech, and just want stuff that is simple to use - and the Lexus standard system reminds me of the system in my current CR-V, and that was a real positive.

I'm hoping to be an active member here, and looking forward to getting to know you all. I should pick up the car in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My first Lexus too (NX 300h Premium) and registered August 1st 2017 after having driven a Honda CRV diesel for 9 years.  Was going to stick with another diesel but after all the uncertainty popped into my local Lexus dealer to see what they had.  Offered a test drive and on impulse bought the one in the show room that day.  Still getting used to the car as it is so different to the Honda.  Likes: quiet drive, looks, easy to drive, comfort, all the tech. Dislikes: reflections in windscreen, boot size, visibility (luckily have the all round camera view), poor user guide and a lot of the tech not explained clearly.  Had to get the full user manual and navigation manuals off Lexus.  Luckily they supplied them free of charge.

Currently getting around 40 mpg but only doing short journeys.  Hoping it will improve on longer journeys.  Quite hilly where I live so all engine on way to local shops but mainly electric on way back as down hill.  Pity the all electric mode is only over a short distance.  Also noticed that one 16 mile town journey home was mainly electric and good economy but a week later at night poor economy as more engine driven.  However it is a nice car to drive comfortable.

Welcome on board, and I have no doubt you'll find you have made the right decision. 

I too like Honda as a brand but, like you say, recent development seems to have been limited. 

Do obviously take a look down the NX section. We're quite a friendly bunch so do put any questions you have on there. 

I do think Multimedia is an area where the Japanese brands in general struggle and Lexus is no different. That said, when you get used to it it's fine, and I think you really benefit from the location high on the centre console. 

You'll soon get used to the CVT. My own advice is use Eco in town and Normal otherwise, switching to Sport for overtaking. But each to their own! I think you do get the clear display on the Sport of how the electric motor is influencing the drive. 

With all round protection I don't think you'll need to worry too much about visibility or storage. 

When do you collect?

Two weeks after ordering, and for a car in stock in Bristol, and I don't have a delivery date yet. Lexus Swindon have kept me informed - the delay is down to Lexus needing to fit the parking pack before they will release the car to the dealer - and the latest is that the dealer will get the car on 21st September. Swindon then need to PDI the car and fit the protection pack and the side protectors, so I guess w/c 25th is the date for collection.

I'll post a picture or two in the NX area of the forum when I finally get it.

CVTs don't worry me at all. I've got a 2004 MINI in the garage - that I've owned from new - with a CVT. I get very frustrated with the motoring press and their (seemingly) deliberate attempts to convince readers that CVT is hopeless, largely because their testers don't know how to drive them properly. Ho hum.

I only drive automatic and have done since 1988, and having owned and driven all sorts of transmissions over that time, the only ones I actively avoid are 'double-clutch' set ups, as I've never found one that doesn't constantly hunt around for the right gear or delays initial movement - which can be dangerous at a busy junction. VAG are the worst imho - just hopeless - in the end the one I had went bang (literally) on the outside lane of the M1 without warning at 40k miles, which I then found out happens more than you'd like to believe! That was when I moved to Honda and they haven't caused me any issues at all. Good cars, well engineered, comfortable and reliable - but they have lost their way over the past few years.

I'm looking forward to Lexus ownership, that's for sure. My requirements of petrol/auto/4WD/Japanese meant that my shortlist was quite short. Add to that I don't like leather upholstery. I started looking at the NX Luxury, but there was no ability to delete leather. Then I looked at the F-Sport but the best deals were available - through CarWow - on the Sport with 'man made' leather so that's what I gone for. 

• Like 2

On 18/09/2017 at 11:22 PM, Trophy92 said:

Where is the NX section?  This site does not seem to be very user friendly.  Very commercial for an owners club.

^^ Seems pretty straight forward to me, just choose the model you are interested in from the forum list. Not sure how it could be any more 'user friendly.'

Anyway, I have a collection date for my new NX. Tuesday 26th is Lexus-day...:yahoo:

Welcome Ed! Congrats on the NX. Get some pics up once you get it!

I'm on HondaKarma too (as had a Accord till recently) :) Some very helpful and incredibly knowledgeable folk on there too (e.g. Ichiban). Weirdly I'm being tempted to go back to Honda...

• Like 1

Finally picked up my new NX this afternoon. :yahoo: The side protectors are still on order, so will be fitted at some point over the next couple of weeks.

Rob at Lexus Swindon has been excellent all the way through the buying process, and barring a small scuff to one of the interior trims (lower door) the car is beautifully presented.

There are some small things I'll miss from my Honda - I personally find Lexus standard specification a bit odd, but having been with Honda for years maybe that's no surprise. No auto dimming rear view mirror, lumbar on the front seats and a navigation system that doesn't drop the volume of the radio when giving instructions are odd exclusions for a car costing £30k plus IMHO, although the quiet drive, general quality and things like the collision detection and radar cruise control all make up for that. One thing i know I'll miss is the passenger mirror doesn't seem to dip when you select reverse, unless I'm missing something?

Many happy and smooth miles ahead of me and my Lexus I hope...sure I'll have questions, will ask them in the NX section as and when they crop up. Now, I'm off to play...

fullsizeoutput_29d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_29f.jpeg

• Like 1

That's a super-looking vehicle!

Lexus specs can be very odd but it comes with the territory. The whole brand is based on a "take it or leave it" approach, which actually maximises profitably. A Q5 can be bought in the UK in literally several million combinations (choices of transmission, fuel, interior, huge options list, etc); an NX is available in a few hundred. Choice has served Audi well but the advantage of the latter is you know what you get and it is easier to plan ahead with manufacturing - Audi outsells Lexus 12:1 in the UK but it won't be twelve times as profitable. 

Anyway, enough of that - enjoy your new vehicle!

• Like 1