Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tyres for 93 LS400

John Palmer

I need to replace the Dunlop SP Sport tyres (factory standard equipment) on my 93 LS400, as they are no longer made apparently. Can anyone recommend a suitable alternative. I have owned the car since 1998 and have always fitted the SP Sports which are now impossible to get. Tyre size 225/60 R16 98W. Any suggestions gratefully received. John Palmer

John hi , recently had the same problem on my Mk3 , no suitable Dunlops and the Falkens which were very similar are no longer available either it seems . I went for a set of Michelin Crossclimate 102W XL , the grip and handling are excellent ,low noise level which is also good . Only time will tell how long they last but so far I am impressed with the quiet and handling of these tyres ,they are not cheap mind  not much change from £600 ,which is more than I paid for the car .

Hope this is some help good luck with your tyre search .

Chris

I use Maxxis tyres which seem quite ok  225/60/16  ...........  not quite the same wear level as the Falkens BUT seemingly there are now very few manufacturers of this size tyre

I think i paid under £100 a corner ' all up '

Malc

I have always used Flakens 225/60/16 and they have always given good service wet, dry etc They are quiet too. I didn't know they weren't around anymore but I have a full set of new ones which I picked up cheap on eBay earlier this year, they won't go on until spring time next year.

Thank goodness their tyres are far more reliable than the Premier League football team they sponsor.

2017: Falken became a sponsor of English Premier League team Liverpool F.C.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bluesman said:

I have always used Flakens 225/60/16 and they have always given good service wet, dry etc They are quiet too. I didn't know they weren't around anymore but I have a full set of new ones which I picked up cheap on Ebay earlier this year, they won't go on until spring time next year.

Thank goodness their tyres are far more reliable than the Premier League football team they sponsor.

2017: Falken became a sponsor of English Premier League team Liverpool F.C.

Oh please don't laugh. I bet  Bill Shankly must be turning in his grave.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your responses.

I Have owned my car since 1998, and Lexus had always insisted that the Dunlop SP Sport was the tyre made specifically for the LS400.

Accordingly, I have always replaced like for like with the SP Sports, until now when they are no longer made.

My car has covered 120,000 miles from new, and since it is now 24 years old (93 reg) it is probably worth five bob.

I don't feel like spending over £500 on new tyres, and was hoping for someone to suggest a worthwhile cheap alternative.

There is a KUMHO Solus tyre for £78, and a Black Circles own model for £60 fitted.

Regards

4 minutes ago, John Palmer said:

Thanks for all your responses.

I Have owned my car since 1998, and Lexus had always insisted that the Dunlop SP Sport was the tyre made specifically for the LS400.

Accordingly, I have always replaced like for like with the SP Sports, until now when they are no longer made.

My car has covered 120,000 miles from new, and since it is now 24 years old (93 reg) it is probably worth five bob.

I don't feel like spending over £500 on new tyres, and was hoping for someone to suggest a worthwhile cheap alternative.

There is a KUMHO Solus tyre for £78, and a Black Circles own model for £60 fitted.

Regards

I have the Kumho Solus All Weather tyres fitted to my GS450h for over 12 months now John. They have been excellent and according to my last MOT on 29 August, have not begun to wear as they still show the tread depth of 7.0

I would recommend them to you as being excellent value for money..

Regards

John

• Like 1

guys, I've just gone to the Kumho official website to see the tyres for my car, a standard Mk3 1995 with 16" wheels and the results for tyre availabilty is a big round ZERO

that's presumably 225/60/16' s

I suggest you put your 1993 car  registration into their search section and discover ...............

Malc

The tyre that suits my car is the  Kumho Solus HS51 (225/60R16 98W). This is apparently available at several online suppliers, including the RAC and AA.

Thank you to royoftherovers for the Kumho endorsement. Are you pleased with the GS 450h. It is on my list of cars to consider when I next upgrade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Palmer said:

The tyre that suits my car is the  Kumho Solus HS51 (225/60R16 98W). This is apparently available at several online suppliers, including the RAC and AA.

Thank you to royoftherovers for the Kumho endorsement. Are you pleased with the GS 450h. It is on my list of cars to consider when I next upgrade.

John, I have 17inch wheels and the tyres are 225-50-17`s.

I have had the car (bought from Lexus Chester) for just over 4years. It had 17,000 on the clock and one previous owner. It has now completed 49,000 miles and has performed faultlessly. It is a pleasure to drive and can arguably be said to lack charisma and character (unlike Audi, BMW or Merc ! ). It is silent in operation and can be relied upon in all circumstances.It does not breakdown or complain.

I have an extended Lexus Warranty and a Lexus Service Plan.Both are paid monthly by Direct Debit and I have not had to pay one penny extra for anything in 4 years.

The OnBoard Computer shows 35.6 mpg over 49,000 miles, giving a real 33mpg me thinks.

I cannot complain about anything. I must advise that it may take a little while to get used to its performance and undoubted character and reliability.

Good luck.

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Personally John, I've got Maxxis on the front and Nexen on the rear.  Should have got Maxxis all round, as the Nexens are wearing faster.

Used to have Maxxis on my S320 Merc and very happy with them.   Can't tell you how they perform against other more expensive tryes but I'm happy with my choice after what must be about 7,000 miles on them.

Thanks Stuart, I can get the Maxxi tyres for £86.00 per corner fitted, but I am disappointed with the very low fuel economy rating of 'E'. (the worst),

However the next cheapest is the Kumho HS51 at £97.00 each with an improved fuel efficiency.

How some people can spend over £600 on a set of tyres for a car worth four fifths of almost nothing is amazing.

I agree John, £600 for tyres is unrealistic for a car worth maybe twice that sum. 

I didn't know about the low fuel economy rating but I will assume that its because Maxxis have better grip than Kumhos?  

I had a couple of Kuhos on the car when I bought it, and one was completely worn at one side.  When I replaced the wheels with the Maxxis and had the wheels checked for alignment they said they were perfectly aligned.  Perhaps the previous owner had bought cheap second hand tyres?

End of the day its how good a driver you are at recognising the limitations of the car/tyres in any given situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Kumhos fitted to my LS400 and whilst not being the quietest tyre their grip in the wet is very, very good and the price quite reasonable (I got them cheaper than £97 per tyre; came to just under £300 fitted and balanced.)

4 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

I have Kumhos fitted to my LS400 and whilst not being the quietest tyre their grip in the wet is very, very good and the price quite reasonable (I got them cheaper than £97 per tyre; came to just under £300 fitted and balanced.)

I`ve had Khumo All Seasons (17in) fitted to my GS Phil, for over a year and find them to be excellent.

An underated and often ignored tyre in my opinion.

Regards

John

Never skimp on tyres as you may find yourself going backwards through a hedge, doesn't matter if car is worth nothing or thousands - your life is more important than money.

My son bought a really nice Toyota Altezza a few years back and it had 4 x new brand X (cheap crap) fitted. I suggested he change them as a matter of urgency, but no. Result, a few months later was a bump (lost back end and hit a wall) resulting in his car being a Cat D. Fortunately he wasn't hurt, but he bought the salvage and repaired car to good again. He then fitted 4 x continentals and car was transformed.

Pete

On my Soarer I recently swapped some near-new Continental ContiSports and Pirelli P Zeros which were rated well in reviews but in my experience were awful on a powerful rear wheel drive car. In came some Falkens and they are much, much better.. I agree that cheap tyres should be avoided but I'm also wary of some of the big brands and the big prices they charge.