Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Could be looking at an RX450h

17 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Does the RX have paddles (behind the steering wheel)?  Is the reversing camera the same as in my IS, i.e. with the lines that move with the steering, I gather that some cars don't have this.

I know that dealers generally like to do a deal with a p/x because then they're getting profit on both cars but, can they usually have their arm twisted when doing a straight cash deal?

No paddles on the 3RX. and yes, all 3RX with rear cameras will have moving lines.

Most of the time, dealers don't prefer one over another. Simple reason is that if they get a p/x, it may be so long before they can sell and it during this time the car has to be insured on the forecourt and will depreciate. TBH if I was a dealer, I would prefer a straight cash deal as there aren't any loose ends

• 2 weeks later...

On 27/09/2017 at 1:44 PM, rayaans said:

You'd have to be doing some very high mileages to make much of a difference in costs in terms of MPG though.

The CH-R is tiny, you'd probably feel shortchanged after having an IS. 

Went to the dealership today but was a bit short on time really.  One thing that I was definitely able to do though was to discount the CH-R as an option, at least that's a step in the right direction.  I have provided all of my details, licence etc, and will now be arranging for a test drive in both NX and RX.  I think that it will now have to be next week but at least I am progressing.

Good luck with the test drives. I had to make a similar decision to you. Was going from an IS300H Premier. First test drive was 24 hours in an NX. Nice but not enough of a difference and the ride was not as smooth, rather jittery over stippled surfaces. Around town feels plenty powerful enough though. Returned it and said not for me and was offered a quick drive in a gen 4 RX. Knew that was going to be what I would buy immediately on pulling off the forecourt. The difference is night and day between NX and RX in every respect. I personally dont care for the exterior design of the gen 3 RX but I am sure you will prefer either version of the RX to an NX.

My initial thought prior to test drive was a 6 month old NX Premier. Bought an 18 month old RX Fsport with red interior for £3k more and absolutely love it

• Like 1

Thanks for that Chris.  Is the gen 3 body exactly the same as the gen4 sizewise?  The reason that I ask is that I am likely going to be test driving a gen 4 as the dealer doesn't have any 3's at the moment.  As a matter of interest, what are the main differences between the two cars? (3 and 4 that is)

It looks very much as though I am going to be restricted to purchasing a 13 or 63 plate at best I think.  Hopefully I should get myself a decent buy though.

4 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Thanks for that Chris.  Is the gen 3 body exactly the same as the gen4 sizewise?  The reason that I ask is that I am likely going to be test driving a gen 4 as the dealer doesn't have any 3's at the moment.  As a matter of interest, what are the main differences between the two cars? (3 and 4 that is)

It looks very much as though I am going to be restricted to purchasing a 13 or 63 plate at best I think.  Hopefully I should get myself a decent buy though.

4RX is about a foot longer than 3RX but the width is the same. It's also marginally lower than the 3RX. 

Power train is roughly the same although the 4RX feels stronger in every situation due to extra horsepower and programming of the CVT. 

Brake feel is better on the 4RX and so is the ride like for like between trim levels. 

Interior of the 4RX is massive but the 3RX interior is still big.

Refinement of the 4RX is improved. It's dead silent at even 90mph on the motorway. The 3RX is still quiet though. 

You should get a good feel of how the 3RX is from the 4RX but you'd still need to drive a 3RX as they have different characters which may or may not make the 4RX test drive a bit pointless.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

4RX is about a foot longer than 3RX but the width is the same. It's also marginally lower than the 3RX. 

Power train is roughly the same although the 4RX feels stronger in every situation due to extra horsepower and programming of the CVT. 

Brake feel is better on the 4RX and so is the ride like for like between trim levels. 

Interior of the 4RX is massive but the 3RX interior is still big.

Refinement of the 4RX is improved. It's dead silent at even 90mph on the motorway. The 3RX is still quiet though. 

You should get a good feel of how the 3RX is from the 4RX but you'd still need to drive a 3RX as they have different characters which may or may not make the 4RX test drive a bit pointless.

Yes rayaans, my thoughts were indeed that a drive of the 4 would be pretty pointless and, from your post my thoughts have been reinforced.  The changes you mention do seem quite significant.

I can go ahead with a test drive of the NX which I think that I will do at some point next week.  I will have to see what the dealer can do with regard to getting hold of a 3.  They did have one at another branch about a week ago but it went very quickly.

Anyone have any thoughts on this item, taken from the Parkers site.

Uninvolving to drive

Despite its turn of speed, the Lexus RX is not the most involving car in this class to drive and ranks only in the lower orders for handling ability. Even with a choice of three chassis settings for buyers to pick from, the RX doesn’t come close to matching the likes of the BMW X5 or Range Rover Sport for the way they can travel along twisty roads with accomplished ease. It’s not good news for the Lexus on straight stretches such as motorways either as it picks up on too many small surface imperfections to ever feel settled and comfortable. In all, it makes the Lexus more tiring to drive that it should be, which leads to driver fatigue in longer trips where other cars in this class leave you wanting more miles to have fun.

I have just bought a 2011 RX450 on Friday and it was an 80 add mile trip back home with it ... it was lovely and comfortable drive not tiring at all and did not feel unsettled.

Re uninvolving drive

IMHO most motoring corespondents talk utter bo*lo*ks most of the time. I am on my 6th Lexus and all have been much better than the reviews, even the CT200H. I want quiet comfort not "fun" and I am sure a gen 3 RX will deliver a stellar driving experience, as long as you dont expect to do the boy racer thing. Ask anyone who owns the gen 3 and I am sure they will tell you this review is very wrong, if uninvolving is quiet and comfortable with power if needed then give me uninvolving LOL

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

Good to hear Keith, what sort of mpg did you get on the 8o mile run?

There was a couple of points that it was down to around 20mpg on the display but quite a few times it was at the top of the graph at 60mpg+ ... not had a look at it properly but from the graph display it was around 35 - 40 mpg .. that was taking it steady most of the way with one or two bits faster over the A66.

If I can average around 35mpg from it I will be happy as that was around what I was getting from the Tucson 2.0 diesel which I could get any way from 30 to 45mpg depending on how and where I was driving.

I agree.  I have had my 3RX a couple of months now and done about 2,000 miles.  My longest day was 560 miles, almost all of which was on motorway or dual carriageway in the rain.   I am very very happy with it.  The car has done everything brilliantly, including a lot of motorway miles in pretty dreadful weather and I have never found it lacking in pace or grip on country A and B roads either.   It's no sports car, but I didn't expect it to be.  What it has done is blend into family life and just do what it says on the tin!

Average in my ownership is 31.7mpg so far.

I don't drive sufficiently aggressively to consider an X5.  I don't have the time to take the RR back for repairs frequently (nor the cash).  I really enjoy my 3RX, we went up to Scotland in June....it was like driving an armchair !!  My only criticism is that it revs hard to cope with hills.  I'll be replacing in a couple of years with a 4RX.  My average so far since March is 33mpg (calculated, not computer).

You are right about the Rangie.. or at least the old P38 diesel I had .. got sick of being under the bonnet of it .. the only thing I miss of it is the air suspension.

One thing I don't miss is just over 22mpg from it .. 138 hp with a similar weight to the RX450 ... the Tucson was quite a bit lighter and was 150bhp.

We have done 20,000 miles since purchasing our 3RX and it has been a great family car which takes us everywhere in comfort and style.Its also a very practical car especially with trips to cornwall or even loading up for the dump.

17 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on this item, taken from the Parkers site.

Uninvolving to drive

Despite its turn of speed, the Lexus RX is not the most involving car in this class to drive and ranks only in the lower orders for handling ability. Even with a choice of three chassis settings for buyers to pick from, the RX doesn’t come close to matching the likes of the BMW X5 or Range Rover Sport for the way they can travel along twisty roads with accomplished ease. It’s not good news for the Lexus on straight stretches such as motorways either as it picks up on too many small surface imperfections to ever feel settled and comfortable. In all, it makes the Lexus more tiring to drive that it should be, which leads to driver fatigue in longer trips where other cars in this class leave you wanting more miles to have fun.

Many years ago one of my fishing pals had a RX300. The most miles he did in one day was 800 in Italy and that was towing a caravan.

John

Well folks, I am still waiting to get my bum on the seat of a 3rd generation RX450h but today I managed a test drive in an NX300h.  I did 67 miles on A and B roads, Dual carriageways and motorways and fortunately, most of the time I was able to drive at whatever the speed limit was, i.e. 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70, only a couple of minor holdups to interrupt the flow. On arrival back at the dealership the computer was showing 46.7 mpg which I thought was pretty good.

I was  very impressed with the comfort and handling of the car. It doesn't have the turn of speed that my IS has but then it is a considerably heavier vehicle.  I just love the Adaptive Cruise Control, I thought that was brilliant.  One of the worst things about the car (in my opinion) is the ridiculous location of the radio, it can hardly be seen.

Now, I can either wait to see if my dealer gets a 3rd gen 450h in or, try to find one that is not too far away that I can test drive. I'm really looking forward to comparing the drives and to then make a decision.

As mentioned by a number of posters in this thread, eBay seems to be useful for buying and selling cars.  I went on to the site this morning and i have to say that some of the prices seem almost unrealistic.  I only had time for a very brief scan this morning so I will have a closer look later today or tomorrow but initial thoughts are that there are some bargains to be had on there.  It will be interesting to see if they are 'Too good to be true'