Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RX300 - a few questions (newbie)

Hi All,

I am considering to buy my first Lexus RX300 from 2005. The car has 70k on the clock and full service history. I have a few questions and I hope that you will help me with the following:

1. It seems that this vehicle is on the recall list (camshaft pulley replacement). I called Lexus and they told me that they will do it free of charge and it is a half a day job. I was wondering if I should ask them to replace the timing belt with tensioners at the same time since they should have an easy access while doing this work or is it better to just wait until it hits 90k.  Do you perhaps know how much Lexus charges for the timing belt job with fuel pump?

2. The car has a small crack on the washer jet cover (that little plastic thing on the front bumper). Is it possible to get this part from the dealer ? Is it even replaceable or does the whole washer jet unit need to be replaced?

3. What should I look for ? Common problems with this model ? I plan to take an to an independent mechanic for a health check-up before purchase to assess any potential costs. Service history looks ok, but it was serviced by independent garages since new.  

4. What is the best / most commonly used by you source for Lexus parts in the UK ? 

Thank you for all answers in advance.

We bought our RX300 (an '05 plate) last year with 79k on the clock and one of the first jobs was to get my trusted mechanic to change the timing belt, idlers/tensioners and water pump. I think the whole job came in somewhere around £420 - £450 if I remember right, including replacement coolant (one of the other things I do when buying a secondhand car is to have all the fluids changed). Not sure how much Lexus would charge but as you say, if they're working in that area anyway, hopefully, it'll be a bit cheaper than normal.

I have to confess to knowing nothing about this recall, can you give any more details and how do I find out if mine needs doing?

2. Don't know for sure but would guess that the whole washer unit would have to be replaced. When I had to replace a headlamp washer on my Nissan Maxima QX it was £130. I'd be inclined to get one from a breakers yard, either local to you or one of the breakers on eBay.

3. The only thing that seems to be a problem on these cars is possible water ingress, either from blocked sunroof drains, roof bar mounting points or rear lights. Thankfully (and fervently hoping I'm not tempting fate here), ours seems to be alright in this respect. We've now done about 16k in the 15 months we've had the car and had no trouble whatsoever. It's brilliant and we love it.

4. Unless some part is needed that can only be supplied by a main dealer, then any good motor factors will be able to supply almost anything you need. The car is 12 years old and has lost most of its value so there's no need to use 'genuine'* Lexus parts or to keep up with Lexus stamps in the book. Remember that Lexus doesn't manufacture things like tyres, exhausts, batteries, brakes etc., etc., and they just buy in from whoever does make them, so places like Euro Car Parts or BBC etc., will supply good quality stuff at reasonable prices. For anything they can't supply you've got breakers yards (I got a pair of tailgate gas struts from a breakers on eBay for £40 and they work brilliantly) and/or eBay.

*The only time I use 'genuine' Lexus is the fluids (coolant, transmission fluid, transfer fluid etc).

There's lots of knowedgeable folks on here who are more than willing to help with things so good luck on your purchase and keep us informed, with pictures, if you get it :smile:

• Like 2

Hi John,

Thank you for a very detailed answer. It is helpful. 

I used this website to check whether there are any recalls : https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker?lexus=true&_ga=2.46302127.928317076.1505211355-1423537181.1505211355 

Then I called Lexus Recall Centre at 0800 044 3721 and they told me that it is a service campaing no: 1502L. The replacement of camshaft pulley is needed because it has a faulty design and at some point it may start to become noisy while running. There is no expiry date for this recall. 

Just out of curiosity are your MPG records based on Petrol or LPG? This is the only part I am worried about. However, I intend to drive only 4k per annum (it will be my second car) so I am not that terrified by it.

How to identify this water ingress? Any funny sounds while driving (like water moving in the chassis? ) 

;-)

No problem, glad to help - and thanks for the info about the recall, I'll definitely look into that.

My MPG figures are based on LPG. You don't get as many miles per gallon on LPG so you fill up more and use more of it, but because it's cheaper you win in the end. Best example I can give is that we drove to Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia for our holidays in our old car. Petrol would have cost us something over £900 but doing it on LPG cost us less than £450.

Have a look at this topic for a bit more info:

Regarding the water ingress, thankfully we haven't experienced it yet so I can't really say. I would imagine that if the cause is either blocked sunroof drains or roof bar mounting points, then I'd guess that water would probably drip down from something overhead. If it gets in through the rear lights then there may well be a puddle and sound of sloshing water somewhere. Have a search on the forum - there should be more info around because I know a couple of people have suffered from it in the past.

1 hour ago, djgrubber said:

I have one more question, could someone tell me what battery Lexus RX 300 should have ? (year 2005, 4x4)  What are the original specs, cranking amps etc. Thanks :)

The Battery on mine is Lion brand. It was on the car when we bought it so I don't know how old it is, all I can say is that we've had the car about 16 months, done about 16,000 miles and the Battery seems to be excellent.

Of course, Sod's Law states that all the pertinent information you need is on the side of the Battery facing towards the back of the car and can't be seen properly unless it comes out, which I ain't gonna do. However, I think you'll agree from this photo that it's a 70Ah Battery with a CCA rating of 540A:

EDIT - PS, checked that recall information and there's nothing outstanding on mine, so thanks.

battery1.thumb.jpg.be5a796c2919907fbbc0630c9cd88ec0.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

So I purchased my first Lexus ...first impressions : 'It is AWESOME'! I have it only for 2 days and I have not driven it much yet but I am very impressed with the ride quality and overally with the car.

At some point I will have to think of new pads and discs and I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to buy original parts from Lexus? Are replacements good enough? I am thinking of brembo or Pagid discs/pads which are available at EuroParts. I also came across Delphi brand on eBay which I guess are more premium. Due to the size of the car I was wondering if it is worth going for Delphi to get better quality? Any thoughts on this?

By the way could someone confirm what manufacturer produces parts for Lexus? For example, I know that for Hyundai it is Pagid who makes  discs/pads and Gateway makes timing belts etc, and later Hyundai simply puts their logo on them. I assume that the same applies to Lexus. Is there any replacement brand worth recommending? 

Glad you got your car and that you like it, they are indeed brilliant cars. We've had ours about 16 or 17 months now and done something like 17,000 miles and every time I get in it I still get a big grin on my face :biggrin:

I don't know who makes the OEM parts but the rest of your question is answered above (point No.4 in the second post).

• Haha 1

Sorcerer, many thanks for pointing this out. I completely forgot that you already explained this in detail :) 

By the way, do you perhaps know what the best ODBII reader for Lexus RX 300 is ? I am thinking of buying one :) 

This is the code reader I got a while ago but I think almost any of the ones available on eBay will do. Alternatively, if you have a laptop you could get a MiniVCI cable from eBay and install Techstream, the Toyota diagnostic software, which does a lot more than just read and delete codes.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I will look into that.

I got the car only with one key. It works perfectly fine (with all buttons) and I also have key serial number (on the metal plate). But this key is grey. I suspect it is a sub key since it does not open the glove box. Do you know if it is possible to get a new spare key without having the black master keys ? 

I called the dealer in Edinburgh, they can make the key but they won't be able to program it and pair it with the car without the master key...they recommended me to use some locksmiths... However, I found this topic on the forum 

I am tempted to try this , but I am bit worried that I could end up without any key...

Have a look at the following topic from a while ago, particularly to post No.4 and the video it links to.

You were talking about possibly getting a code reader but if you have a laptop (if not, a Windows XP laptop can be had for peanuts these days) to install Techstream on, it'll do SO much more than a code reader will, including coding keys.

Hello again, do you guys know whether there is an option to turn off the steering wheel auto-tilt ? :) The reason why I am asking is because I am afraid that it may break one day from frequent start/turn off of the car. I don't need it really. Once the wheel is set I am fine with it :) 

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I have a small update on my issue with a Master Key. It turned out that the dealer found the key, but the the casing was broken so they ordered a new one and cut the key and moved the chips into the new casing. I got it today. The remote works fine, the car recognizes the key when I put it into the ignition (security light disappears immediately which is a proof that this is a master key) and the steering wheel is moving towards me as it should.

But I can't turn the key, also I can't open the car with the key (without using the remote control). :wallbash::wacko:

I guess that the locksmith (or whoever was making a copy of the key) must have cut it incorrectly, right? or the dealer had the wrong key blade from the beginning with good remote/ immobiliser chips and this would explain why a copy from the locksmith does not work.

I was wondering if it is possible to make a copy of my Valet Key blade and simply move remote/immobiliser chips into the new casing. So I would have Programmed Master Chips + Valet Blade in one casing.  The logic behind is that I know for sure that Valet Key blade works and I do not have the original Master Blade  - the dealer probably threw it away...

What do you guys think?