Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mystery windows opening

You've probably squeezed the remote in your pocket in the house - maybe bent down. That activates the windows down function of a long press on unlock.

It can be disabled with Techstream

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Funnily enough, this happened to me a couple of months ago.

When we had that  couple of days of heavy rain, I came out twice to find my windows open.  They were all open by different amounts as well.

The thing is, this happened when my keys were on the side table untouched both times.

It hasn't happened since though.

Thanks guys. I had walked round the car, admiring the front number plate that I had screwed directly to the bumper (highly recommended). Maybe I pushed the button at that time but I would expect to notice the windows opening. Strange.

This can occur as pointed out by others by inadvertently making contact with the key fob.

However I've another theory and it relates to the main Battery in the car either having been disconnected recently...maybe at service time?

Or, a poor intermittent contact has developed on the poles and leads.

In which case clean the poles and tighten the contact leads to same.   Then... and this is the important bit following a Battery disconnect or a disconnect due to poor contact. YOU MUST reset the windows individually.

Using the switch for each window on its own door (not all from drivers door) lower each window fully with each switch and then raise each window with each switch on being completely raised hold the switch in the UP position for a few seconds say 5 ...before release (there maybe a beep)  When you've done all that the windows are reset.  

THIS HAS TO BE DONE EVERY TIME THERE IS A Battery DISCONNECT.

14 hours ago, Tony Burke said:

Thanks guys. I had walked round the car, admiring the front number plate that I had screwed directly to the bumper (highly recommended). Maybe I pushed the button at that time but I would expect to notice the windows opening. Strange.

"highly recommended"

please expand on this, how so? And got any pics? I personally don't like the look of any screws in number plates myself but when I fitted mine ( with super sticky pads ) I did think about doing away with the black plastic mounting bracket at the front and stick the plate directly onto the bumper but was a bit concerned  About the curvature being placed on the plate!

paul m.

6 hours ago, VrmmVrmm said:

It appears the thread has grown legs ...gone is the window problem which could cause great internal damage....to one whereby how a number plate is fitted...LOL

Yes, fair point but if your recommendation is carried out then hopefully a window 'reset' will alieviate the OP problem, however the number plate point was close to home for me anyhow and a quick direct response on that particular topic would have been suitable ( for me anyhow)

paul m.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:42 PM, Texas said:

"highly recommended"

please expand on this, how so? And got any pics? I personally don't like the look of any screws in number plates myself but when I fitted mine ( with super sticky pads ) I did think about doing away with the black plastic mounting bracket at the front and stick the plate directly onto the bumper but was a bit concerned  About the curvature being placed on the plate!

paul m.

Before and after. No comparison (to my eye). Two self tappers through the letters and a bit of double sided

LEZ4.jpg

LEZ2.jpg

LEZ5.jpg

On 9/15/2017 at 0:34 PM, VrmmVrmm said:

This can occur as pointed out by others by inadvertently making contact with the key fob.

However I've another theory and it relates to the main battery in the car either having been disconnected recently...maybe at service time?

Or, a poor intermittent contact has developed on the poles and leads.

In which case clean the poles and tighten the contact leads to same.   Then... and this is the important bit following a battery disconnect or a disconnect due to poor contact. YOU MUST reset the windows individually.

Using the switch for each window on its own door (not all from drivers door) lower each window fully with each switch and then raise each window with each switch on being completely raised hold the switch in the UP position for a few seconds say 5 ...before release (there maybe a beep)  When you've done all that the windows are reset.  

THIS HAS TO BE DONE EVERY TIME THERE IS A BATTERY DISCONNECT.

That's excellent advice Vrm, thank you

• Like 1