Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

She went straight through the MOT yesterday with no advisories. Well chuffed. The bit that miffs me is the fact that I don't get a reduction on RFL for LPG. The CO limit is a max of 3.5% and mine was 0.0%,the max for HC is 1200 ppm and mine was 64 ppm. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, thatfatbloke said:

She went straight through the MOT yesterday with no advisories. Well chuffed. The bit that miffs me is the fact that I don't get a reduction on RFL for LPG. The CO limit is a max of 3.5% and mine was 0.0%,the max for HC is 1200 ppm and mine was 64 ppm. 

I know, that really grates on me too. Here we are with our literal gas guzzlers which is so much better for the environment and we get a paltry £5 off our annual road tax (or was it £9? Can't remember now). Our savings should be commensurate with the reduction in emissions that running on LPG brings.

• Like 1

LPG aside, I often think a little more should be made of the fact that some of us are keeping well maintained older vehicles running. I don't keep my '02 IS300 going for the good of the planet (sadly eco credentials aren't too high on my priority list when I look at motors) but I think many are a little blinkered about the impact producing a new vehicle has. It's all very well saying that the brand new hybrid whatever only emits unicorn farts and sips fuel but look at what's been produced to make that vehicle. The steel, the plastics, the precious metals mined by some poor sod in some far away hell hole. You can't tell me that I'm doing more damage to the planet running a thirsty 15 year old car than ordering a new economical one every three years.

There you go. That's my rant-lite for this morning :smile: Your children can thank me later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Richard about making more of keeping well maintained older vehicles running. The environmental cost of producing a new vehicle far exceeds the cost of keeping an older vehicle which is properly maintained on the road. This is the response I always given to anyone who says old cars are not environmentally friendly, cause pollution etc.

• Like 4

Reminds me of when I used to live at home with my parents. It used to be like that opening scene from Butterflies (one for the older members) where all the cars had to be maneuvered backwards and forwards to get in and out of the drive. Anyway, I think there were four or five cars and someone pointed out to my dad how extravagant this was "We don't drive them all at once" was his reply.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Anyway, I think there were four or five cars and someone pointed out to my dad how extravagant this was "We don't drive them all at once" was his reply.

Brilliant! That is what I will say in future!

4 hours ago, Malc said:

and ALL those cars from " Butterflies " days would now be worth a small fortune ..................  appreciating assets i think !

Malc

I thought it was great how the teenagers terrified the neighbour as they moved the cars into position!