Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Shudder

Belladog

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:09 AM, Belladog said:

Any idea why the brakes still shudder after I changed Discs, Pads and serviced Calipers. Feel strange is it ABS. When I brake it feels like its going on/off. If I brake really slowly it doesn't do it.

If you have changed the discs and the shudder has appeared after the new discs have gone on have you ensured that the faces of the new disc and the mating surface of the hub are spotlessly clean - it there's any dirt between the surfaces when putting the new disc on then they will not be true when braking and will give the feeling of brake judder as if the discs are warped. Same goes for the wheels when putting them back on, make sure the mating faces are clean.

You can also check to see if the wheel nuts are all tight - sometimes the wheel can feel its been tightened up but the self centring nuts dont sometimes centre well and will leave the wheel sometimes not secured properly although it feels like it has been. Have you tightened the wheel nuts in opposite pairs?

Another symptom can be uneven tyre pressure but your tyres need to be well under pressure - sure you would notice that.

Also it could be a failing shock absorber but never experienced this just seen people mention it.

Lastly - could be an unbalanced wheel although you would feel that while driving.

Is it from the front or back? If theres issues with the front you can feel it more through the steering wheel when braking - if on the rear then you can feel it more through the drivers seat when braking.

I suppose when you have exhausted all the suggestions, then it "could be" a problem with the parts sourced? Have they come from a reliable source and are they branded? 

like David has said above - make sure the pins are greased but I would presume you have done this as you have said you have serviced the calipers? Did you, when servicing the calipers make sure the pistons were moving freely and the pins were free?