Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's on your cassette deck today?

As a lover of analogue and digital, I'm pleased to hear that even cassette's are making a small comeback.  So what are you 400/430 owner's playing on your decks?

Today I've been listening to:

Happy Mondays /  Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches

Depeche Mode / Black Celebration

Another all be it small reason why I chose the 430 over a 460 (honest)

Nick

• Like 1

If you don't mind me popping over from the first gen IS section you'll see that I'm keen on cassettes too. And I fully intend to get it fixed! I've also just spent 23 whole English pounds on this so I can indulge in MDs as well as cassettes :biggrin: I blame tapeheads.net

Anyway, last cassette played? Gentlemen Take Polaroids by Japan. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nickd said:

ah that's a shame.  Is it not worth getting any used parts?

Probably a replacement  amplifier needed. Tried a replacement  cd  player...same problem as original so given up. I now listen to "the sound of silence"

• Like 1

Cassette or CD, doesn't matter, I tend to do the same with both. I make up a compilation cassette/disc and then play in random mode - you never know what's coming next  :biggrin:

My true love is classic rock (favourite band of all time is LED Zeppelin) so today I've heard tracks from Zep, The Who, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, Joe Bonamassa, Free, Queen, Bad Company and more.

The beauty of randomness is that along with these, I've also today had tracks from the Mediaeval Baebes, Gregorian Chants from Canto Gregoriana and the music of the amazing Loreena McKennit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Cassette or CD, doesn't matter, I tend to do the same with both. I make up a compilation cassette/disc and then play in random mode - you never know what's coming next  :biggrin:

My true love is classic rock (favourite band of all time is Led Zeppelin) so today I've heard tracks from Zep, The Who, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, Joe Bonamassa, Free, Queen, Bad Company and more.

The beauty of randomness is that along with these, I've also today had tracks from the Mediaeval Baebes, Gregorian Chants from Canto Gregoriana and the music of the amazing Loreena McKennit.

Wow, well that's a great mix.  As I've approached my late 40's the 70's have appeared on my radar more. I'm enjoying the quality of the stereo and it is the best I've had in a car.  On the cd this weekend I had the "Best of the Carpenters".  Man she had an incredibly refined voice and it sounds beautiful on the stereo, it really does it justice.  However I also played The Stooges, Down on the Street and that seemed to lose some of it's power.  Is it true the stereo is perceived as better in the 400 than the 430?

8 hours ago, rich1068 said:

If you don't mind me popping over from the first gen IS section you'll see that I'm keen on cassettes too. And I fully intend to get it fixed! I've also just spent 23 whole English pounds on this so I can indulge in MDs as well as cassettes :biggrin: I blame tapeheads.net

Anyway, last cassette played? Gentlemen Take Polaroids by Japan. 

Japan, a great band. I'll check out Tapeheads :wink3:

Glad to see Analog still rules - I use my LS400 tape deck now and again, last time was for a John Peel compilation from around 1995, had Wire, LoopGuru, Woody Guthrie, TransGlobal Underground to name a few on it.  Also good for Alan Bennett reading Winnie the Pooh (still a kid at heart)

Bought one of these earlier this year - as my original 28 year old deck had stop working  - Yamaha Deck

I also use Cassette Adaptor to hook my £23 MP3 player into car audio, and load up the 6pack CD, with anything from Mediaeval Baebes, Blue Nile, Massive Attack, O Brother Where Art Thou (soundtrack).

By the way Rich, I have one of those stereos in my workshop, CD packed up, but the cassette player still works a treat.

Maybe 78's will be making a comeback some time, but i think I'll give them a miss.

I did my own compilations with no gaps, spaces or DJ spiel, only continuous music and still play them, mostly 50's to 70's. They were recorded from LP's and Fluff Freemans Pick of the Pops onto a Revox77 and edited to a Sony cassette deck using TDK Super Avilyn tape via a Naim amp and Linn Sondek, which I regret selling.  I bought the Revox for £250 and sold it 23 years later for £250  

IMG_6440.JPG

I loved the tape deck on my old IS300 Sportcross. Can't stand CDs, and even worse, USB sticks. Just takes up where you left it, more modern tech seems to go back to the beginning with me. Once got thoroughly confused listening to a Sherlock Holmes story on CD only to discover it had been on f***ing shuffle mode! I knew that particular character had died earlier....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silversalmon said:

I loved the tape deck on my old IS300 Sportcross. Can't stand CDs, and even worse, USB sticks. Just takes up where you left it, more modern tech seems to go back to the beginning with me. Once got thoroughly confused listening to a Sherlock Holmes story on CD only to discover it had been on f***ing shuffle mode! I knew that particular character had died earlier....

Edward,  I know exactly what you mean, had many a near accident when I tried to tweak a MP3 forward/shuffle/backwards button.  I download a lot of Radio 4 and Radio 6 programmes, and pretty sure some of them have been like listening to an audio version of 'The Curious Case of Benjiman Button'.

I've got over 400 cassettes in my study, so a lot of listening to be done in the LS, just need a bigger glove box.

Well it seems we have a lot of analogue lovers on here!  The LS 400, is it kind of an analogue car in a now digital automotive world. (I think the 430 is as well, but others may disagree)  I can't be arsed with SD cards and it might be said that the cd player is unreliable in the LS, but mine is older than any in my home and works fine.  

Pete, lets get those tapes out and discover a forgotten country of music!!!

Swing Out Sister ....... maybe not

4 hours ago, 39buss said:

I did my own compilations with no gaps, spaces or DJ spiel, only continuous music and still play them, mostly 50's to 70's. They were recorded from LP's and Fluff Freemans Pick of the Pops onto a Revox77 and edited to a Sony cassette deck using TDK Super Avilyn tape via a Naim amp and Linn Sondek, which I regret selling.  I bought the Revox for £250 and sold it 23 years later for £250  

IMG_6440.JPG

Well that is a very eclectic mix.  Hey i wouldn't mind a copy! Tape to tape?  

I have a Linn Basic I bought in 99 still working and recently serviced.  I now have it playing through a Ruark R7.  Know it?  A nod back to the hi-fi systems gone by.  

Hang on,  C90 TDK, ace.

21 hours ago, sorcerer said:

My true love is classic rock (favourite band of all time is Led Zeppelin) so today I've heard tracks from Zep, The Who, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, Joe Bonamassa, Free, Queen, Bad Company and more.

Ah....a man after my own heart !

5 hours ago, 39buss said:

I did my own compilations with no gaps, spaces or DJ spiel, only continuous music and still play them, mostly 50's to 70's. They were recorded from LP's and Fluff Freemans Pick of the Pops onto a Revox77 and edited to a Sony cassette deck using TDK Super Avilyn tape via a Naim amp and Linn Sondek, which I regret selling.

I did the same on a reel to reel, a humble Ferguson though, not a Revox.  I adored Fluff, not his pick of the pops, but his Rock Show on Saturday afternoons IIRC.  Shame you sold the Linn, do you still have your records ?

I'm very much an analogue man as most of my home listening is from good old vinyl records...old ones !  As smooth as my RX is, I don't think I'll fit my Gyrodec :rockon:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 39buss said:

...onto a Revox77 and edited to a Sony cassette deck using TDK Super Avilyn tape via a Naim amp and Linn Sondek, which I regret selling.  I bought the Revox for £250 and sold it 23 years later for £250 

You should definitely check out Tapeheads!

4 hours ago, Silversalmon said:

Once got thoroughly confused listening to a Sherlock Holmes story on CD only to discover it had been on f***ing shuffle mode! I knew that particular character had died earlier....

Seen it, done it. Listened to the latest Partridge book (apt I know) that I'd <ahem> acquired from some site or other and the chapters were all over the place. He made even less sense than he normally does.

21 minutes ago, nickd said:

Hang on,  C90 TDK, ace.

SA90s no less. I remember them well.