Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Few photos of my LS430

8 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Hi Phil

Love the mods .K&N air filter and a outboard motor fitted to the front end, brilliant.

Haha :) they were on there when I brought the car, but I really like them.  The car is as quiet as a mouse poodling around, but bury the floor and it sounds like a V8 should, - it's more understated than you might expect, - maybe i'll do a video at some point :)

It's a DC Ram intake, and also Fox exhaust

2 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Lovely looking LS430 - same colour as mine

Thanks - I do like it, however, given the choice, I ideally wanted the dark grey... - this came up, it seemed decent mechanically, and had a good LPG system installed so I went for it.

Nice looking car. Do like those later wheels.

Keep an eye on your MAF sensor when you are running the oil-coated air filters like that. The sensor can get pretty mucky when using those sorts of filter (they don't actually filter all that well.)

55 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

Nice looking car. Do like those later wheels.

Keep an eye on your MAF sensor when you are running the oil-coated air filters like that. The sensor can get pretty mucky when using those sorts of filter (they don't actually filter all that well.)

Can you show me some evidence of that statement regarding K&N air filter.

Experience with my cars. The most recent one was an idling issue a couple of years back with a modified Datsun I have running a 1.8 MX5 engine with a K&N cone filter (could not fit the factory resonator box due to limited space). Pulled the MAF and it was filthy. Assumed it was poor filtration. I modified a Camry years ago with a cone filter and similar issue on the MAF which was cleaned prior to the work I did. The drop-in style filters seem to be fine but I am wary of the oiled cone filters. Just my tuppence. Your mileage may vary!

Notice as well the interior wood has been painted in "BMW Black" - again - not my doing, - the previous owner.

He's done a good job, and if you like your interior dark it's perfect.

Think it was done to achieve a more modern look, however, personally given the choice, I'd prefer the originality of the wood!  Horses for courses I guess :)

The original owner also darkened the rear lights, blacked out the front grill, and wrapped the roof - all in black, - this has all come off.  Unfortunately taken the wrap off the sills along the roof edge has removed some of the paint :(  Not sure whether to get that done - along the front bumper, which could do with a respray from stone chips... - it's a strange one, - it wasn't an expensive car to buy and I probably won't get a fortune when I sell, so is it worth spending the money on spraying the bumper?  (mechanically it wants for nothing).

I appreciate the windows might not be to everyone's taste, but I left them as I like the increased privacy, I find a lot of UK drivers quite aggressive, and the windows help me shut all that out and waft along in peace & quiet ;)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

...a modified Datsun I have running a 1.8 MX5 engine with a K&N cone filter...

...I modified a Camry years ago...

I'd love to see those!

Funny you should mention the drop in filters but the air filter in my IS300 sits vertically (you probably know this) and after getting hot a few times oil off the filter did pool in the bottom of the box. Due to the position it would have never made it to the MAF and after wiping up it never came back but worth mentioning.

I'd love to see the Datsun more. It's buried in the garage most of the year. If it sees water it will explode into a pile of rust! Most people will probably have no issues with the filters but given the price of MAF sensors I get pretty nervous.

The modified Camry was great. It was a 1990 with the 2.5 V6. Beautiful paint on it. The leather and plastics quality were very, very good. They sold them as a "baby" Lexus in the US and I'm not surprised. If only the head gaskets weren't made out of cheese...

3 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

Experience with my cars. The most recent one was an idling issue a couple of years back with a modified Datsun I have running a 1.8 MX5 engine with a K&N cone filter (could not fit the factory resonator box due to limited space). Pulled the MAF and it was filthy. Assumed it was poor filtration. I modified a Camry years ago with a cone filter and similar issue on the MAF which was cleaned prior to the work I did. The drop-in style filters seem to be fine but I am wary of the oiled cone filters. Just my tuppence. Your mileage may vary!

Thanks for that ,I reverted to a K&N drop in filter as a replacement for the Lexus filter when I bought my Mark 4 it had 20k on the clock then so I was intent on getting a filter for the lifetime of the car.

I have done 15k in 4 years and had no problems with any of the issues you have experienced but as you say its a drop in filter and I have not cleaned it or oiled it. 

There will be some difference in air intake through the Maf if oil is applied to these filters but it should be short lived if the correct oil is used.

I've used drop in reusable filters with no problems. Just the cone-style exposed filters that make me cautious. I probably wasn't clear enough.

OP, sorry for the derail and trust the car works out for you.

Looks very much like mine.  I also have LPG fitted.

Not an original thought, it has been said many times on this forum, but the LS430 is growing old with grace, and still looks good for its age.  A bit like Michelle Pfeiffer :wink3:

I expect a flurry of opinions on that last statement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beejay55 said:

Not an original thought, it has been said many times on this forum, but the LS430 is growing old with grace, and still looks good for its age.  A bit like Michelle Pfeiffer :wink3:

You mean Michel Platini surely ?

Regards

John

4 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

I've used drop in reusable filters with no problems. Just the cone-style exposed filters that make me cautious. I probably wasn't clear enough.

OP, sorry for the derail and trust the car works out for you.

No problem - that's how conversation go :) -  i'm glad you raised that potential issue

51 minutes ago, Beejay55 said:

I'd agree with you on both Michelle & the LS.  I think the LS looks lovely in motion, think it's the air suspension and size which gives it that majestic graceful look. 

Probably vain, but I have wondered about buying a cheap dateless number plate, - think it would give it a more classic look  (??), ...2004 isn't new - and it isn't old, if you see what I mean..

Talking of the number plate, - anyone notice that I got rid of the front number plate surround

7 hours ago, messi said:

The ls430 looks familiar..i seen one very very similar in Ireland couple of years ago.

Very probably the same one 

34 minutes ago, PJD said:

Probably vain, but I have wondered about buying a cheap dateless number plate, - think it would give it a more classic look  (??), ...2004 isn't new - and it isn't old, if you see what I mean..

Not vain and I know what you mean. There was nothing wrong with the 52 plate on my IS but now one of our own plates is on I think it looks much better.

urPI8izl.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a private number plate from the DVLA a couple of years ago, for the LS.  I paid about £200, I seem to recall.

When I bought a Mercedes SL earlier this year I got a Northern Ireland number plate for £27, plus the usual transfer/allocation fee.  I must have been lucky, as I subsequently learned that the company I bought it from had a reputation of taking money, but  not providing the goods.  I was fortunate.  I notice that their NI registration numbers are now £20 +£4 VAT.

The company is called RV4 Number Plates  I would urge caution if you are thinking of buying from them.

• Like 1