Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

98 LS400 Exhaust Leak, Y-Pipe replacement ?

WardLS400

Hi there.

I own a '98 LS400 and it has recently failed it's MOT for a 'front section exhaust leak'; (this was predictable as it sounds incredible and is definitely not 'normal''). I have trawled through various forums this week and it appears the y-pipe leak is a common problem, but I have a few questions.

First of all I don't want to just replace the flanges/get them welded as it appears this is a temporary fix and the y-pipes actually need replacing

Secondly, I'm looking for a replacement y-pipe section and have found one from America on eBay but its says its only a y-pipe "with resonator" not a CAT. Thus I don't know whether this is ok to buy ?

Heres the link to it. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Y-Pipe-DEC-Converters-LX4613Z-fits-98-00-Lexus-LS400-4-0L-V8-/371242268977?epid=115303292&hash=item566fc37931:g:OZMAAOSwq1JZMqEp

I thought all models (98' onwards) would have a CAT at the end of the y-pipe. Some are saying it can be a CAT or a resonator  ?

Ive also found a another replacement exhaust system thats from a 96' ls 400. Would this fit a 98' model, as I'm assuming the exhaust wasn't changed between these versions ?

Apologies for the length of the post, but its a pretty expensive problem and won't pass its mot until I get it sorted.

Thanks, 

Rich

777.jpg

Hi Richard. Welcome to LOC.

As your in the West Midlands I would pay a visit to MIJ exhausts Pleck Rd Walsall.

They could possibly make you a new one using your old cat or a new one for less money. I recently replaced the rear exhaust on my GS450H with stainless parts doing it myself. See my post in the GS section "Exhaust problems". MIJ quoted about half the price of other exhaust makers, and I would have used them if it were not for them having Email problems at the time, and getting a slow return response to my enquirey.

John.

Hi John,

Good job you mentioned MIJ - I was trying to remember the place in Walsall as I (potentially) need to get mine sorted on the GS! Have you used them in the past?

I just called them and spoke to a very helpful chap called Jay so now it could just be a case of deciding :)

43 minutes ago, Normski said:

Hi John,

Good job you mentioned MIJ - I was trying to remember the place in Walsall as I (potentially) need to get mine sorted on the GS! Have you used them in the past?

I just called them and spoke to a very helpful chap called Jay so now it could just be a case of deciding :)

Hi Norman.

I have not used MIJ myself, but have had reports from others that have had good service. I was quoted £295 including VAT to replace the rear exhaust on my GS450H using stainless steel, and my OEM tail pipe trims. This was less than half the prices I was quoted else where, and I feel a very reasonable price. 

I had contacted them, but had finished doing my own system before I got a reply. I do not regret making my own system in any way saving £100 even on MIJ prices, but would have gone with them if I had received a faster reply due to there Email problems now sorted.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John. I've been quoted £545 all in for a cat-back system on mine (the Y section is leaking and back boxes have rotted through). Lex want around the £900 mark so quite a difference already.

Hi John,

thanks for the reply/welcome and the advice. Ive had MIJ recommended to me before so ill give them a call.

Luckily, I had a mechanic look at it today and he reckons I can get away with just replacing the exhaust gaskets and bolts on either side (straight from Lexus for £30.00 all in) so potentially this could save me a lot of hassle.

However, if this doesn't solve the blowing then I will give MIJ a call and get a quote for a new y-pipe!  (the full y-pipe direct from Lexus is £380 excluding VAT)

Cheers,

Rich

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links