Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought another Lexus - RX 300 (2004)

Here are a few photos of my RX300 purchased this week.IMG_1756.JPG.c0247766c297524cbe88f00f31cacc56.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG.59b7e4d7697542e2a9ca3a23a2488260.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG.09711e1626b69427e039570dd9450530.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG.60ccbe20e75aa0972de08d1553995298.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG.52f353e7ceabaccefad381fb0a2a1ade.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG.f105c16eee066381d3aae43918786687.JPG

Impressions

Dealer:-

Very pleased with the dealer description of this Lexus, as I did not wish to travel 150 miles just to turn round and go home. I viewed an almost identical car locally and it was dire in comparison to this one.  It has had only one owner from new and a full Toyota (Listers) service history – Lexus Hatfield before that. It appears to have been well looked after, possibly garaged. The owner sadly died. There was ¾ of a tank of fuel left in it! Only a couple of small things I can find. One remote key is broken and the other does not unlock the car. You can still use the seat settings by pressing buttons 1 or 2. I was told all this by the dealer before I travelled. Fingernail scratches on the passenger door handle.  When I took the RX out today the main window controls would not work! Thanks to this wonderful site, I had read about re-programming them – AND it worked! That could have been a real downer.

Initial Impressions:-

I was pleased with the test drive and drove it the 150 miles home. Driving the RX 300 was an eye opener.  I had expected it to wallow in the corners and be a bit sluggish compared to my LS 400. The gearbox seemed to change quite quickly and smoothly. I was also surprised how good the ride was, I was expecting it to be quite hard. It holds the road really well and the steering gives me a feeling of confidence. The high driving position adds to that feeling. I have tried not to compare it with my LS400, as they are very different vehicles, but to be honest it has the same feel of quality. I do not think I could be more pleased if I had bought a much newer RX.

I would like to thank Rayaans, for his help in compiling a checklist.

It is early days yet but my initial impressions are very positive.

Just a quick tip when viewing cars on-line – make sure your computer screen is clean!

• Like 3

Looks great David, well done! I'm sure you'll be very happy with it, I know I'm over the moon with mine :smile:

Any particular reason why you went for the model without satnav/reverse camera etc., etc., and what mileage has it done?

Basically John I went off condition. I am going to get parking sensors fitted as recommended by Rayaans. I have a camera in my Mitsubishi but tend to use the reversing sensors more. If I could have got one with a camera, in such good condition, I would have gone for it. This one was exceptional, 53,000 miles. Time will tell but I am very pleased so far. I paid top dollar but I think it was worth it. As I said in the post, I am very impressed so far - did not expect it to drive so well for such a large 4x4. I understand why people on here like them so much. Very practical for lugging Ludo (Labrador) in - though he will be kept in a travelling cage! Being half Yorkshire, I did not want to pay more for a 400H but really fancied one. I hope this one is a good compromise - thanks for your comments.

Well done David, gorgeous colour and interior looks spotless. Car looks well cared for, worth paying the money for the right car. I had the 300 Sportcross, if it's the same engine, an inline 6 then it's the best engine i've ever known. Oh, and a sunroof, the only thing I really miss in my RX450. Enjoy it, nice stable of cars to have. Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough, very good points David, it does look to be in exceptional condition and I can see why you were willing to pay top dollar for it.

Something you probably already know but it's worth mentioning - if the cambelt hasn't already been done then I'd suggest you get it done as soon as you can. They're supposed to be changed every 100k miles or 10 years, whichever is sooner because they do deteriorate with age as well as use. If it does need doing then it's prudent (not to mention just being good practice) to have the idlers/tensioners and water pump replaced at the same time. The labour charges are the highest cost of the bill and about 90% of the work done to change the belt would have to be done again to change the water pump if it wasn't done at the same time.

• Thanks 1