Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D low power before turbo kicks in.

Hi guys. 

Looking for an answer into the issue i have with my IS220D.

it is an manual 2006 IS220D with 140,000 on the clock. 

I bought the vehicle in June, knowing of this issue, but hoping it’s a cheap easy fix to which I have only attempted terraclean as of yet.

The issue I have, is that the car feels well underpowered before the turbo kicks in, foot could be flat to the floor and it feels like it is holding back. Asoon as the turbo kicks in it’s flying.

Has anyone got the solution? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Matthew, lots of possibilities with that sort of report. Try all the simple and obvious first as long as your sure that you're not about to suffer a major failure of some sort !  Air filter , EGR valve and its associated pipes,add some good quality  diesel fuel, ULTRA or like and add some injector cleaner. All lightweight befor you start anything costly. Check the hoses and pipework for splits/holes around the turbo. Your in the right place for advice as the members are very good having had similar issues historically.  Sure that there will be a tech thats got a good suggestion, 

Welcome Matthew,

If I had to bet, I would say blocked EGR valve.  Quick and easy to fix, so fingers crossed that is where the problem is. :smile:

At what RPM does the turbo kick in?  Anything much above 1600-1700rpm and the EGR Valve being blocked becomes more likely.

Although what Ian suggests is a good idea, so it is worth following his advice.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys. 

The air filter has today been done, I will agree I think it may be an EGR issue, I had the vehicle terracleaned to hopefully shift some carbon from the EGR and DPF to narrow them down, to which it does feel a tad more responsive but not 100% still. 

I believe an EGR valve is around £180 from lexus(may be wrong), fairly easy to replace. I think this may be my next job to try. 

My next thought was DPF, or fuel pump 

Give the EGR a clean, Brake cleaner is fairly cheap and moves a lot of the carbon build up but a wee bit messy but you may be able to recover it pre spend on a new one. Worth a go as nothing lost since it all has to come apart to replace or clean. Manifold and pipework need a clean and lets hope that gets you back to 100% without the need for new parts, anyway good luck and look forward to your next post.

Yep, again Ian is spot on.

It is rare for the EGR Valve to actually fail and need replacing.  Mostly it is just full of carbon deposits and needs a good clean to get it working properly again.

Brake cleaner, screwdriver and a wire brush are usually all that is needed to give it a scrub.

It is also simple and quick to remove once you get the hang of all the tips and tricks. :smile: 

• Like 1

The car is always 'sluggish' before the turbo kicks (tractor before 1800 revs)... and to get the best performance should be driven with higher revs than you may expect for a diesel.

On my last car (Avensis diesel), I had a blocked EGR valve..... extrordinary sluggish (to the ponit it wasn't driveable) and tons of black smoke .... as others have commented a very quick and simple (if messy) clean and all was back to normal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said its quite possibly a egr build up. I have found that these cars produce alot of soot. Also dpf problems would bring up the check engine lamp. A drive down the motorway at about 3k rpm for about 20-30 miles will force a dpf regen and may help slightly

Hi Jamie, thanks for that.

I cleaned out the EGR, over the weekend, the pipe, and also as much as I could in that area and it seems to of cured it for now!

i would like to thank you all for your comments, I didn’t think it was the egr as it was supoosively done before I got the car in July, but it has always been like it. 

I plan to do this every 4-5 thousand miles to stop it getting in the condition it was in. 

Many thanks 

It' s good idea to give the egr valve a good clean as they get clogged up quickly and Rob power.

But to be honest an is220d in tip top condition makes very little power until at least 16000 rpm.

Very annoying when joining traffic at a roundabout in second gear. Stamp on the gas and nothing happens. 

• 3 years later...

Good recommendations over here... I bought a IS220D 2 years ago and I have clean EGR 2 times now. Last time I intentionally partially blocked EGR pipe with a piece of metal you can easily get on eBay so you avoid it gets dirty so quickly and leave engine air intake cleaner. 

My model is 2.4 gear box, what means slow reaction above 1.700rpm. I kind of fix this by installing an electronic booster in the accelerator pedal (100 dollars) so you can select between 10 ecu mapping increasing or decreasing pedal sensivity. It really works and I recommend this.

Regards