Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400

Connor2x4

Hi there,

Over the past few weeks I've been toying with the idea of getting a (mk3? 1998ish) LS400

I've been through a few of the topics there but there isn't a sticky of common faults or what to look for, I've read about the starter motor being a potential pita job, whilst I'm not a vehicle expert I do know my way round quite a few bits and am decently handy with a socket set lol.

I've seen many for sale that are over the 100k Mark but from what I've managed to read that doesn't seem like much of an issue either.

Are there any really expensive jobs that are dealer only things or is most of it doable at home.

Also, what are the running costs in general, in my current car I get around 50 miles per tenner put in. What fuelling like on an PS4, I've heard it's very reasonable for a 4L

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hello Connor. I have had my 98 LS400 MK4 for 8 years now and during that time she has only broken down once, (Oxygen sensor} She has 155000 miles and apart from Battery tyres and annual servicing she has cost me nothing. I have never owned a car where after 8 years I still look forward to getting into her and go for a drive. She still looks a million $s when she's been washed and polished. She is comfortable, she is amazingly fast when you need here to be, the sound system is amazing. I love my Lexi.

• Like 1

Hello Connor. I have had my 98 LS400 MK4 for 8 years now and during that time she has only broken down once, (Oxygen sensor} She has 155000 miles and apart from battery tyres and annual servicing she has cost me nothing. I have never owned a car where after 8 years I still look forward to getting into her and go for a drive. She still looks a million $s when she's been washed and polished. She is comfortable, she is amazingly fast when you need here to be, the sound system is amazing. I love my Lexi.
Thanks for your reply :)

I've seen nothing but good write ups on these and yours just backs up what everyone else is saying, when the 02 sensor went did you have to go oem for a replacement? How much was the sensor? And also what are your general fuel costs, I would be using it as a daily as I can't afford to run 2 cars but at the moment I have a Celica TSport that I've had for a couple of years now and looking for a change.

Thanks again

hi, the Mk3 is 1995 - 1997 and a simple easy and straightforward car to own.

Normal servicing is about all you need, everything mechanical and steering stuff lasts for 150/200k miles  ( the life of most cars ), tyres aren't expensive, servicing by my indy isn't either. Longevity of the car and replacement parts is legendary.

There was a Lexus recall on the Mk3 starter motor and if that's been done you will have a long component life'

The cambelt and ancillaries is scheduled at 60k miles but in the USA it's at 100k miles ..... mine is next due in 2018 at 205k miles, ( the 100k time and 10 years )

Tyres I get about 20k miles, petrol, she takes 85.1 ltrs and when the orange warning light comes on there's usually about 100 miles left in the tank.

My 2300mile trip around Scotland this month returned an average of 29.5 mpg but she usually gets about 25/27. in normal day to day running  The supreme power and potential speed is fantastic, handling is far from cumbersome, she drives a dream and as fast or as slow as you wish, she always responds tirelessly and without effort.

Parking is a doddle and she has a relatively small turning circle for such a big car.   It's a much much better turning circle than the 56 plate Honda Legend I also have.:whip:

A well looked after and serviced Ls400  will last you for ever if you wanted. :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 1

I fully endorse both posts. I had a Mk3 and now a Mk4 - very little difference, the Mk4's throttle is more sensitive - that is the only real difference I have found. These cars are a hidden gem. If you have to pay out on some mechanical issues, such as suspension, then the replacement parts (OEM) will last. The engineering on this particular Lexus model is first class.

It seems I am after a mk4 then as it's the headlight shape that I think looks a lot nicer than the older style box type ones.

I've seen there's some differences between the 3 and 4 in that it's got the touchscreen nav and am I right in saying an interference engine rather than the older ones being none interference? What's the average parts and labour on a belt change? (As I could potentially use this to bargain if it hasn't been done in a while!)

And thanks again for the quick responses. The general response I've previously had from forums is that replies are few and far between but that doesn't seem to be the case here I'm pleased to say :)

Regular contributors on here have a very great respect and appreciation of these cars and are happy to share their experience and knowledge. 

If you mention a 4.0 litre V8 to most people, £ signs come into their eyes - even more so if the car is over 10 years old. The LS 400 is not such a gamble and the fuel economy of 25 mpg overall is easily achievable, provided you are not driving mainly in the town. With my LS400 I try to only use it for runs that are more than 10 miles long, as I have another car, around 26/28 mpg  is usual. On a motorway run from Kent to Bristol, 30+ mpg is normal at 70/80 mph. 

Once you have driven the car for a few miles you are more than happy to spend the extra on fuel - trust me.

12 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Regular contributors on here have a very great respect and appreciation of these cars and are happy to share their experience and knowledge. 

If you mention a 4.0 litre V8 to most people, £ signs come into their eyes - even more so if the car is over 10 years old. The LS 400 is not such a gamble and the fuel economy of 25 mpg overall is easily achievable, provided you are not driving mainly in the town. With my LS400 I try to only use it for runs that are more than 10 miles long, as I have another car, around 26/28 mpg  is usual. On a motorway run from Kent to Bristol, 30+ mpg is normal at 70/80 mph. 

Once you have driven the car for a few miles you are more than happy to spend the extra on fuel - trust me.

Although mine is an LS430, the engine is basically the same as the MK4 400.  This morning I had the misfortune of taking a couple of people to Stansted airport at 4am.  A six hour round trip, not sparing my right foot, and the computer showed an average of 30.5.  You can't complain about that can you!  It may have been even better if it hadn't been for the accident on the QE2 bridge causing traffic mayhem. 

55 minutes ago, Connor2x4 said:

It seems I am after a mk4 then as it's the headlight shape that I think looks a lot nicer than the older style box type ones.

Mk1,2 and 3  the headlights are of glass, the later one's are plastic and will require refurbishment at some stage

Malc

Yes all of my family and friends seem to think I'm crazy for wanting to swap out a coupe to a 4L saloon, but I chose the celica as you don't see many on the roads, and I'm sure the only time I've ever seen a 400 is at shows.

I currently drive a round a 9-10 mile trip each day for work although most mornings traffic makes it feel like I'm driving for double that lol. This is where I average around 24/25 mpg on a 1.8 and I'm imagining I'll get around 19-20mpg from what I've read, on these same morning commutes.

As for the headlights needing restoring that's fine, I've currently got plastic lenses and have refurbished a few sets myself before, so that's not an issue to me.

The only other thing at the moment is insurance, I'll have 5 years ncb next year at 22 and my current insurance did a quote on this for around 1350. Whereas places such as Adrian flux wanted 2500! I know age isn't on my side for this one but my first years insurance was 1700 on a mk4 Ford fiesta. The only thing nagging at me is that I paid 600 for a 10 month booster policy this year with 4 years ncb. My current plan is to renew with the celica next year for another 10 month policy and get the vehicle changed over, unless anyone on here has experience with different insurers??

TIA

insurers are a law unto themselves and there is absolutely no rhyme nor reason why the quotes vary so much .  they are all thieves and you are obliged by law to line the pockets of one of them !

Just get lots and lots of quotes.

Malc

Hi

Have a look at the link below - I posted a checklist for the mark 4 - most of it should apply to mark 3

The only thing I would add for a mark 3 is take it on the motorway (70mph) and when slowing down to come off the engine should not stall - if it does you may need to clean the throttle body.

Malc, I've already done plenty of calling and comparisons and that does seem to be the cheapest so far. Comparison sites quoted me 500 for a mk1 and 1500 for a mk4, whereas my current insurer was 1350 for both. Agreed they are all just a con lol.

Hi
Have a look at the link below - I posted a checklist for the mark 4 - most of it should apply to mark 3
The only thing I would add for a mark 3 is take it on the motorway (70mph) and when slowing down to come off the engine should not stall - if it does you may need to clean the throttle body.

It is a mk4 I'm after it seems, that's the sort of list I was looking for thank you for that

I have a series IV which I am slowly restoring, if you would like to pop over and take a look around it to give you an idea what to look for when buying send me a PM as I'm not too far away here in Derbyshire.

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I have a series IV which I am slowly restoring, if you would like to pop over and take a look around it to give you an idea what to look for when buying send me a PM as I'm not too far away here in Derbyshire.

Hi Steve,

That would be a great help when I can get my plans into place, its a kind offer thank you for that :)

On 27/09/2017 at 9:35 AM, Connor2x4 said:

Thanks for your reply :)

I've seen nothing but good write ups on these and yours just backs up what everyone else is saying, when the 02 sensor went did you have to go oem for a replacement? How much was the sensor? And also what are your general fuel costs, I would be using it as a daily as I can't afford to run 2 cars but at the moment I have a Celica TSport that I've had for a couple of years now and looking for a change.

Thanks again

I had both sensors replaced just to keep everything balanced by our village garage who have been servicing our family cars for the last 30 years. They replaced them with OEM. I think they were about £180 each. My Lexus has been converted to run on LPG  the week after I bought her. I am paying around 46p  a litre and I get around 17 MPG. She has never missed a beat and there is no loss power that I can feel. If you're thinking of getting yours converted be very careful who you get to do the install because there are more cowboys than good ones and it doesn't matter how much you pay for the LPG system if the conversion is done badly you might as well send me all the money and be happy with the thought that you have helped another LOC member to have a great holiday. There are lots of threads on here regarding LPG. You need to have a lot of patience, FSH or as near as possible is a must. Timing belt needs to have been changed and you need to see an invoice which is checkable. If it hasn't been changed then that needs to be taken into consideration in your negotiations. The only weak point is the Y section in the Stainless Steel exhaust which can be welded at a few independent garages for about £50. Be patient in your search there are still some great cards coming up but you have to be quick as genuine ones don't hang around long. One final thing, you may already know this but you can now check online for the MOT history, which is great to see what the how the cars fail and pass rate is and also a mileage check. Good luck with it and if we can be of help just give the forum a shout and we will do our best,

• Like 1

I had both sensors replaced just to keep everything balanced by our village garage who have been servicing our family cars for the last 30 years. They replaced them with OEM. I think they were about £180 each. My Lexus has been converted to run on LPG  the week after I bought her. I am paying around 46p  a litre and I get around 17 MPG. She has never missed a beat and there is no loss power that I can feel. If you're thinking of getting yours converted be very careful who you get to do the install because there are more cowboys than good ones and it doesn't matter how much you pay for the LPG system if the conversion is done badly you might as well send me all the money and be happy with the thought that you have helped another LOC member to have a great holiday. There are lots of threads on here regarding LPG. You need to have a lot of patience, FSH or as near as possible is a must. Timing belt needs to have been changed and you need to see an invoice which is checkable. If it hasn't been changed then that needs to be taken into consideration in your negotiations. The only weak point is the Y section in the Stainless Steel exhaust which can be welded at a few independent garages for about £50. Be patient in your search there are still some great cards coming up but you have to be quick as genuine ones don't hang around long. One final thing, you may already know this but you can now check online for the MOT history, which is great to see what the how the cars fail and pass rate is and also a mileage check. Good luck with it and if we can be of help just give the forum a shout and we will do our best,
Thanks for that response quite helpful although I don't think I'll be personally converting any cars to run on LPG although I've read a few threads on here at how helpful it is. Maybe I'll strike lucky and get ones that's already been converted.

There's a decent looking one for sale at the moment, a green one on AutoTrader taken in part ex that comes with a private plate reduced from 2500 to 2300, mot check history shows only minor advisories and fails but unfortunately don't have the funds or space for it at the moment which is a real shame. Maybe someone on here would like to check it out and hold onto it untill next year for me lol.

My current car is quite modded and there is a fair amount of cash invested that will be gained back as I return the car to standard.

I understand the majority of you on here would prefer to see a near original as possible 400 but I'm afraid I'd have to do something to it to make it mine (although I'm not talking about big wide arch kits and a massive wing!) Probably tint the rear windows and change the alloys. I wouldn't be able to go forced induction because of funding and also 280bhp is plenty enough for a young lad at the moment lol. Anything I do would be able to be restored to standard so hopefully you guys would give me permission [emoji23]

Thanks again for the responses

3 hours ago, Connor2x4 said:

Thanks for that response quite helpful although I don't think I'll be personally converting any cars to run on LPG although I've read a few threads on here at how helpful it is. Maybe I'll strike lucky and get ones that's already been converted.

There's a decent looking one for sale at the moment, a green one on AutoTrader taken in part ex that comes with a private plate reduced from 2500 to 2300, mot check history shows only minor advisories and fails but unfortunately don't have the funds or space for it at the moment which is a real shame. Maybe someone on here would like to check it out and hold onto it untill next year for me lol.

My current car is quite modded and there is a fair amount of cash invested that will be gained back as I return the car to standard.

I understand the majority of you on here would prefer to see a near original as possible 400 but I'm afraid I'd have to do something to it to make it mine (although I'm not talking about big wide arch kits and a massive wing!) Probably tint the rear windows and change the alloys. I wouldn't be able to go forced induction because of funding and also 280bhp is plenty enough for a young lad at the moment lol. Anything I do would be able to be restored to standard so hopefully you guys would give me permission emoji23.png

Thanks again for the responses

Maybe I'll strike lucky and get ones that's already been converted. If you go this route make sure you take someone with you who can inspect the system properly  and is willing to back his judgement with money if it goes up the Swanee without a paddle.

Maybe I'll strike lucky and get ones that's already been converted. If you go this route make sure you take someone with you who can inspect the system properly  and is willing to back his judgement with money if it goes up the Swanee without a paddle.
Good idea thanks for that hadn't considered needing someone with lpg knowledge with me.

Thank you

On 9/27/2017 at 11:44 AM, Connor2x4 said:

Yes all of my family and friends seem to think I'm crazy for wanting to swap out a coupe to a 4L saloon, but I chose the celica as you don't see many on the roads, and I'm sure the only time I've ever seen a 400 is at shows.

I currently drive a round a 9-10 mile trip each day for work although most mornings traffic makes it feel like I'm driving for double that lol. This is where I average around 24/25 mpg on a 1.8 and I'm imagining I'll get around 19-20mpg from what I've read, on these same morning commutes.

As for the headlights needing restoring that's fine, I've currently got plastic lenses and have refurbished a few sets myself before, so that's not an issue to me.

The only other thing at the moment is insurance, I'll have 5 years ncb next year at 22 and my current insurance did a quote on this for around 1350. Whereas places such as Adrian flux wanted 2500! I know age isn't on my side for this one but my first years insurance was 1700 on a mk4 Ford fiesta. The only thing nagging at me is that I paid 600 for a 10 month booster policy this year with 4 years ncb. My current plan is to renew with the celica next year for another 10 month policy and get the vehicle changed over, unless anyone on here has experience with different insurers??

TIA

Hi.

Sorry we couldn't be more competitive for you on your insurance.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links