Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would I need Cats for this Exhaust

So I'm planning on getting the Greddy Titanium Exhaust for my ISF. 

Currently I have PPE Cat-less headers on OEM exhaust. MOT passed without any problems. 

Now with the Greddy Exhaust does anyone know if I would need to install cats to pass MOT?

Product Pics here ---> http://www.greddy.com/products/exhausts/all-exhaust/filter:model:IS-F/

Hi Maz,

If you have OEM exhaust, they may have let you through the MOT on account of the secondary cats still being in place.

My understanding would be you will lose those when you fit the Greddy Ti exhaust, and with no primaries in place, you will be cat-free which will fail the MOT.

I bought a set of hi-flow race cat's from PPE that were welded into the mid-pipes. These are hopefully enough to pass my next MOT due in a couple of weeks time.....

You won't pass without some form of cat's fitted, that's for sure.

Thanks mate, 

I have cats on hand that I can weld on, but do you know can you weld steel cats to titanium? 

I know its a technical question, but I'm no welder and have no idea how these materials will interact with each other. 

40 minutes ago, Defratos said:

Thanks mate, 

I have cats on hand that I can weld on, but do you know can you weld steel cats to titanium? 

I know its a technical question, but I'm no welder and have no idea how these materials will interact with each other. 

Hey, no, don't believe you can weld steel to titanium.......:unsure:

I'd imagine you would end up having to cut off the front section of the Greddy Ti system (ouch! :sad:), add a mid-section like I have with your cat's welded in, and add flanges to connect that mid-section to the PPE headers and the Greddy Ti exhaust.....

Otherwise you need titanium cats which I don't believe they make, and if they did, ouch on what they'd cost!!!! :surprise:

Hmmm now this is going to be interesting. 

Let me do a quick search and see what I can find. 

I posted this on CL as well just to see if anyone state side has experience in this area. 

The exhaust is already costing a fortune but I wanted it for weight saving....don't really want to cut it to bits and add stainless steel :blush:

25 minutes ago, Defratos said:

I posted this on CL as well just to see if anyone state side has experience in this area. 

The exhaust is already costing a fortune but I wanted it for weight saving....don't really want to cut it to bits and add stainless steel :blush:

Hence why I didn't change up the H&S for a titanium system! Lol. :wink3:

Not sure the weight saving would warrant the extra cost, plus you'd be hacking it about to add the cat's, so might be better off getting a stainless steel exhaust to start with.....??

Let me know what you find out though. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Defratos said:

Hi, noticed there's some Magnaflow high flow CATS for the ISF on eBay UK if it helps at all.

All the best with the new set up!

@Defratos This web site has a welding forum, very knowledgeable when I upgraded my 996 Turbo to Gt2 spec I got the titanium exhaust in it's entirety from a friend who had it built from someone on this site an epic sounding piece of art...... glad I didn't buy it new.....🤑🤑🤑

http://www.ukwelder.com/index_forum.php

Big Rat