Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So twice this year I've stopped at Hopwood Park services on the way down to Sennen in Cornwall.  As far as go services go it's not to bad as it's quite an open and family friendly affair.  I can remember at one point the child parking area was next to to the playground.  This is now been moved to opposite the playground area, but where it use to be is now given over to at least four Tesla charging stations, which are often full.  So I see cars that cost about 80K and emit little poisonous gases and do high MPG.  So my LS cost 8K and no doubt many other LS 400/430 owners paid a lot less and some a little more?  I like to think that few of us if funds allowed would contemplate a Tesla S as I see LS owners struck by cars that are different to the mainstream.  However....... they cost as mentioned 80K new and the cheapest second about 42K.

Anyway so there I am parking up, proud of my ultra reliable 11 year old car that does 23 MPG combined, then I see the Tesla and feel, perhaps, well a little foolish.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LS and I've never felt as proud of a motor as this LS I now own.  For the money I don't think it can be beaten in the miles for smiles (and cost) competition.  It did make me feel a bit like a Luddite though as I parked opposite a young and very stylish family, in the very zeitgeist Tesla. 

As said above, I love my LS, wanted one for years.  What do other LS owners think about auto electrification?

Early today I was stuck in really bad M25 traffic, but it was muggy, so I wanted my air con running.  I couldn't open the window because I was surrounded by lorries pumping out diesel.  I wonder how an electric car would cope with two hours of air con.

Not sure, I was on the vino when I posted.  Perhaps I did it twice.....

Hey I'd forgot about the LC500.  Now that is a car that I think will gain Lexus a new fan base.  It looks stunning.

I feel we are about 6-7 years away from a break-through. That will be 300 miles range and a £20kish price for a Focus tyre car. Then, 3 years later I will buy one for £9K

I have spent some more time thinking about all of this, and realised that in 7 years time I'll be in a position to be chauffered around in a stonking great diesel powered beast.

In other words I'll be able to get my bus pass, sell my LS and spend my life (a bit like my dad now does) being driven around while admiring the view from the back of a bus.

Who needs a electric or hybrid when you have a belching diesel bus:walkman:

Bristol has a well advertised 'Poo bus' running from Refuse-produced Methane.

But, as I type, there's a 15+ mile jam on the M5 down the hill.......which then backs up the anciliary roads......so it matters little.

I know the back lanes.........