Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400H under £10k

9 minutes ago, welland said:

Hi Dan, 

I did have a look before I asked the question, but couldn't spot anything.  I'll have another look.  

Peter 

I've had another look, but still not found any specs for the rx400.   Maybe you were thinking of this post about rx450 specs: 

2 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Just out of curiosity I googled the phrase "RX400h equipment specifications" (without the quotes) and the very first hit was this pdf file, of which Page 21 shows the equipment levels.

LEXUSRX400h.pdf

Thanks.  That has got me going.  :)

On 10/8/2017 at 10:01 PM, welland said:

Found this: http://www.parkers.co.uk/lexus/rx/estate-2003/review/features-safety-and-equipment/ .........

.... but not sure how complete it is.   For example, no mention of:

Memory seats 

Memory mirrors (is it true that memory mirrors can be fitted without memory seats?)

Bluetooth phone connectivity

Audio aux input

4wd / fwd (was watching a US video review on YouTube that said some are 4wd and some are FWD (I thought all UK models were all 4wd: am I wrong?)

I had an RX400h SE (+ multimedia) for 6 years until 3 weeks ago. It had memory drivers seat with 3 settings but not passenger. Memory Mirrors that turned down when reversing. Bluetooth phone connectivity came with the multimedia option. This handled phone-calls but nothing else, eg music. Multimedia also gave you sat nav and voice control for the phone and sat nav, but not music. (Oddly the NX gives you voice control for phone and music but not sat nav.) There was no aux input although I think some people wired this in if I remember old posts correctly. It was 4wd. I don't think the UK had a 2wd option (unlike the NX again). Mine had illuminated scuff plates which I think were standard. Apart from that I think it was as on the link.

Thanks javadude, very helpful.  I got my first look at an RX today: a 2008 rx350.  This was the closest rx I could find on autotrader.  Although I'm not seriously considering the 350, it was a very helpful intro to the model.  Seriously impressed overall.   :yahoo:

It took the combined efforts of the salesman and myself several minutes to figure out how to let the parking brake off, but otherwise,  all good.  Now I'm home, I have a few questions that a Ssangyong salesman couldn't answer, but I'm sure many here can:

How is the external spare wheel lowered?

Does the 400h 2nd gen have the same spare wheel mounting, or is that where the batteries go?

The 350 had storage space under the boot floor, beneath 2 small flaps and one large flap.  Is this the same in the 400h, or do batteries impinge on this space?

Inside the cockpit, to the right of the steering wheel, and very low down,  there was a push-on / push-off button labelled ASP.  What is this for?

That's probably enough for now.  More may come to mind.  

20 minutes ago, welland said:

Thanks javadude, very helpful.  I got my first look at an RX today: a 2008 rx350.  This was the closest rx I could find on autotrader.  Although I'm not seriously considering the 350, it was a very helpful intro to the model.  Seriously impressed overall.   :yahoo:

It took the combined efforts of the salesman and myself several minutes to figure out how to let the parking brake off, but otherwise,  all good.  Now I'm home, I have a few questions that a Ssangyong salesman couldn't answer, but I'm sure many here can:

How is the external spare wheel lowered?

Does the 400h 2nd gen have the same spare wheel mounting, or is that where the batteries go?

The 350 had storage space under the boot floor, beneath 2 small flaps and one large flap.  Is this the same in the 400h, or do batteries impinge on this space?

Inside the cockpit, to the right of the steering wheel, and very low down,  there was a push-on / push-off button labelled ASP.  What is this for?

That's probably enough for now.  More may come to mind.  

The spare wheel on the RX400h is under the car. You lift up the boot floor and there's a winch handle under there that you turn and the wheel slowly drops down on a steel cable.

The batteries are under the rear seat. There are vents behind the rear passenger's legs which help to keep the batteries at a happy temperature. (There's a warning in the manual about not blocking the vents with a blanket etc.)

There is storage space under the boot floor. I had space for a bag of spare bulbs, a pack containing torch, electric pump etc, a wheel brace, golf umbrella, first aid kit, locking wheel nuts etc. The space can be used to store the boot cover out of the way when you need to pile the boot high but I never had space in their cause of all the junk.

You have me stumped on the ASP button. On the RX400h that's where the button for the powered tailgate is. There were a couple of other buttons maybe for switching off the adaptive headlights and erm.... nope 6 years of memory wiped. Probably stuff that you'd normally want to leave on which is why I can't remember. Mine had a button underneath and to the left of the steering-wheel which switched on/off dealer fit front parking sensors.

I was considering the 400h and ended up buying the RX300. Fuel consumption is obviously not as good. The purchase price is about half when you consider the mileage. The RX350 has the advantage of being a chain rather than a cam belt. The down side, and it is a down side, is the £535 road tax each year compared to £305 for the RX300. 

I bought mine on condition rather than specification -  mine does not have the reversing camera or parking sensors (having those fitted). If you are happy to pay the extra then I am sure you will be more than pleased with the 400h. It is horses for courses. 

Let us all know how you get on and what you eventually purchase! Good luck with your search!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I was considering the 400h and ended up buying the RX300. Fuel consumption is obviously not as good. The purchase price is about half when you consider the mileage. The RX350 has the advantage of being a chain rather than a cam belt. The down side, and it is a down side, is the £535 road tax each year compared to £305 for the RX300. 

£270 for an RX400 by the way. (And £105 for an NX :smile: )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, javadude said:

You have me stumped on the ASP button. On the RX400h that's where the button for the powered tailgate is. There were a couple of other buttons maybe for switching off the adaptive headlights and erm.... nope 6 years of memory wiped. Probably stuff that you'd normally want to leave on which is why I can't remember. Mine had a button underneath and to the left of the steering-wheel which switched on/off dealer fit front parking sensors.

Just found a manual on the web, and i may have remembered the letters incorrectly. It could well have been AFS, for adaptive front lighting system.  

50 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I bought mine on condition rather than specification -  mine does not have the reversing camera or parking sensors (having those fitted). If you are happy to pay the extra then I am sure you will be more than pleased with the 400h. It is horses for courses. 

Let us all know how you get on and what you eventually purchase! Good luck with your search!

If the rx350 could be had for half the price of an rx400h,  that would probably be worth it.  However, the one I looked at was still £6.5k, with 98k miles.   Therefore a lot of rx400h choice at that price or within a couple of thousand more. So it still does not appeal on the basis of cost. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, welland said:

Just found a manual on the web, and i may have remembered the letters incorrectly. It could well have been AFS, for adaptive front lighting system.  

Oh yeah I remember stuff baby :yahoo: 

• Like 1

Yep as above deffo the AFS for headlights, as you turn the steering wheel the lights follow the direction of turn but this can be turned off if required. Spare wheel is lowered under flap in boot but you remove a small round plastic cover to access the bolt to turn .

mine has done 53k 2006 and I was offered £6500 at Lexus dealer recently so there are some low mile ones out there for not too bad price. 

Note that the AFS is speed dependent: for instance it does not work when the car is stationary. Note also that the lights swivel further to the left than the right, which is why you should probably switch the AFS off when driving on the continent so that you do not blind oncoming traffic.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:28 PM, javadude said:

There is storage space under the boot floor. I had space for a bag of spare bulbs, a pack containing torch, electric pump etc, a wheel brace, golf umbrella, first aid kit, locking wheel nuts etc. The space can be used to store the boot cover out of the way when you need to pile the boot high but I never had space in their cause of all the junk.

Pleased to hear that the rx400h does not lose any storage space to accommodate the batteries.  Particularly like the feature that can accommodate the luggage cover under the boot floor when it's not needed; not seen this on other cars.  

14 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

That has a good specification. Hope it comes up trumps for you.

Went for a spin today, and seemed v nice.  Only issue was that we couldn't detect any parking sensor bleeps and the dealer didn't know if the parking sensors were even fitted.   How do they work, and where are the controls? I presume they must have a way to switch the bleeps off?

Car has 55k miles, Lexus dealer wants £14k.  Seems like top dollar to me, but that is to be expected at a main dealer.

Yes top dollar, but it sounds a good one with that sort of mileage. Surely they must know if it has reversing sensors or not? 

Salesman should know the car they are selling, sounds like they are trying to duck fixing them. Did the car have the sensors fitted on the back bumper?

• Like 1

If it has parking sensors then there would be about four round button shaped things on the bumper. What's the year of the car? Trade in for my 08 rx with multimedia and 92k was £5,850 :sad:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, javadude said:

If it has parking sensors then there would be about four round button shaped things on the bumper. What's the year of the car? Trade in for my 08 rx with multimedia and 92k was £5,850 :sad:

Trade-in price and forecourt price are usually miles apart. The pricing usually reflects the condition and age. 

I considered the RX400h but to get one in similar condition to the RX300 I eventually bought, was going to be around £11,000 - admittedly a younger car but in no better condition. So for half that I got the RX300. It gives me a few pennies to spend on fuel!

11 hours ago, welland said:

Went for a spin today, and seemed v nice.  Only issue was that we couldn't detect any parking sensor bleeps and the dealer didn't know if the parking sensors were even fitted.  

I'm sure I remember seeing a post on this forum saying that if the car has the reversing camera then parking sensors were not a factory fit but were a dealer option, so it may not have them.

If parking sensors are fitted you'll see (usually) four ultrasonic transducers about the size of a 5p or 10p coin mounted in the rear bumper. The fact that the dealer didn't know if they were fitted or not does not give me a sense of confidence in that dealership and in fact would make me look elsewhere.

11 hours ago, welland said:

How do they work, and where are the controls? I presume they must have a way to switch the bleeps off?

Have to admit that I'm not sure but would think that having a manual switch would be a very bad idea. I can envisage a situation where you forget to switch them on and bump into something. They need to be activated when reverse gear is selected.

12 hours ago, welland said:

Went for a spin today, and seemed v nice.  Only issue was that we couldn't detect any parking sensor bleeps and the dealer didn't know if the parking sensors were even fitted.   How do they work, and where are the controls? I presume they must have a way to switch the bleeps off?

Car has 55k miles, Lexus dealer wants £14k.  Seems like top dollar to me, but that is to be expected at a main dealer.

I think that's a lot for that ,Lexus offered me £6500 for mine 53k 2006 and would have put a couple on top when on forecourt so for 3 years newer and a bit more miles seems a lot.

• Like 1

That does seem very expensive. Be aware that as soon as you drive away its just cost you at least £6k. Plus you will probably just have a 12 months warranty. I would consider paying £9k at a non Lexus garage then getting a 2 year Lexus warranty for £1k. But if it's the 100% car for you and at the spec you want go for it.

• Like 1

If you have the parking sensors on it then some manufacturers have a switch so you can switch them on or off ..  the RX450 I have just bought does but not sure yet if it just switches off the front or back ones ... if the back then it is for when you are towing a caravan or trailer so it does not bleep all the time you put it in reverse when towing.

• Like 1

Parking sensors on the RX400h did not come as standard: they were a dealer fit option. On the other hand they came as standard on the RX450h... and the switch enables/disables both front and back sensors.

Peter, are you able to post a link for the car you are looking at?