Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Side Window cleaning rubbers

Anyone elses side window rubbers make sod all effort to touch the glass?

Noticed recently that if I drop front windows, they come up with exactly the same water, dirt etc on, they aren't touching at all. Lazy gits. Putting my weight into door makes some contact, but still only half the glass and patchy at that!

I was thinking that Steve, but thought wait, I shouldn't have yo, that's what they are for! Kind of spoils any nice car looks when you have stop and get out and walk round clearing water off the glass yourself lol

Seems to be an issue then. Did these ever come with double glazing? Wonder if they are build for the extra width and didn't bother changing for those that didn't upgrade to the proper Windows?

8 hours ago, Upex said:

Seems to be an issue then. Did these ever come with double glazing? Wonder if they are build for the extra width and didn't bother changing for those that didn't upgrade to the proper Windows?

The LS430 is usually described as being "double glazed" although it's just two pieces of laminated glass.  My wife once put the window down on her side to clear the glass (which it didn't) and referred to it as a poxy car!!

On 28/09/2017 at 9:24 PM, Upex said:

Surely not, their sole pupose in life must be to clean the glass so we can see?

If it's true, it's the most ludicrous things I've ever encountered lol

Mine are useless too. What are they there for? I reckon it's a design fault. Will be taking mine in for a service soon so will ask them to fix it under warranty. I'll be interested in their response. My wife's 08 Honda Jazz work perfectly!

Alan, id be eager o hear their explanation to. I've never had a car so bad as clearing side windows, and others were bad due to wear, not design, which would appear to be the issue here.

Is it perhaps something to do with the water run off coating on the front door windows. If the rubbers were in permanent contact they may possibly remove the coating in time.

The coating on my car after 10 years still works very well.

John.

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

Is it perhaps something to do with the water run off coating on the front door windows. If the rubbers were in permanent contact they may possibly remove the coating in time.

John.

Yes, could be right with that. I'll see if it's the same as the rears when it's next misted up as they don't have the coating. Might keep an old wiper blade for the fronts in the boot :wink3:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Britprius said:

John.

Well if it is, mines long gone.

It's that bad that I'm going to buy rain x type stuff for them. When full of morning few, I can't see crap till hit the fast roads and wind blows it off. Just need to find best rain x stuff as hear there are better formulas out there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/10/2017 at 11:00 AM, Upex said:

Alan, id be eager o hear their explanation to. I've never had a car so bad as clearing side windows, and others were bad due to wear, not design, which would appear to be the issue here.

I asked the service department what the rubbers are for and apparently they are only there to stop dirt getting inside the door panels. Apparently they only touch the glass when the windows are closed.

Thanks Alan, saves me buying new ones to find same trouble. Still, I personally think having no clearing mecahisum is crazy and could be dangerous to a point.

Who's got any recommendations for the best hydrophobic coatings then?

Hi Robert,

I tried Purity X polymer sealant a few weeks back and it sheds water pretty well.  My side windows cleared pretty easily the other day, just needed a bit of air flow.

I'm still experimenting and haven't put it through a few washes yet but it seemed to do a good job after the detailers used it earlier this year.

After washing it was applied all over the car via a lance and rinsed straight off, so it's really easy to apply to paint/glass/etc.

It needs topping up every 3-4 weeks but only uses a small amount so I hope the teeny bottle lasts a good while.