Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

outrageous tyre prices - alternatives?

I have a 99 LS 400 with DHP wheels and need a couple of tyres. I'm a bit shocked at the prices for the 245/50/r17 tyres, and the lack of choice. They only seem to be available in the Pirelli P Zero Asymetric. I have been looking at slightly changing the spec, but want to make sure that it would not adversely affect ride or handling. I was thinking of increasing the profile slightly and going with 245/55/r17 (Michelin Primacy at literally half the price). The tyre shop suggested going lower profile at45, or going with 235/50/r17, as these would fit the rim jut fine. I can't believe that a minor change in profile of width would make much difference, I favour ride comfort over ultimate handling.

Has anyone else gone through the same thought process, or changed the spec on their car? I would really appreciate any feedback or advice

16 minutes ago, harrylime said:

I have a 99 LS 400 with DHP wheels and need a couple of tyres. I'm a bit shocked at the prices for the 245/50/r17 tyres, and the lack of choice. They only seem to be available in the Pirelli P Zero Asymetric. I have been looking at slightly changing the spec, but want to make sure that it would not adversely affect ride or handling. I was thinking of increasing the profile slightly and going with 245/55/r17 (Michelin Primacy at literally half the price). The tyre shop suggested going lower profile at45, or going with 235/50/r17, as these would fit the rim jut fine. I can't believe that a minor change in profile of width would make much difference, I favour ride comfort over ultimate handling.

Has anyone else gone through the same thought process, or changed the spec on their car? I would really appreciate any feedback or advice

You could ask honestjohn.co.uk, he and his team are usually pretty good with advice generally.

Or with a slightly lower profile I can get Avon Tyres at less than 100 fitted (well regarded by some elsewhere on this forum), or slightly higher profile, I can get Michelin Primacy at 123 fitted, around half the price, so two tyres, which I need, for the price of one. Not an expert, so I wonder how handling/ride would be affected

I have Continentals and they are a few bob. I need to sort lower bushes out as I go through fronts very quickly.

There are a few outlets other than the well known ones that do a good price but they are not fitted. A local garage that fits one of the big brands fitted mine for £15 all in and I discovered a great little business I'd use again.

I managed to get a really good nearly new, never repaired for £35 which I admit was lucky.

I'm uneasy about the budget tyres unless your a gentle pootler doing very few gentle miles. Mind you I ran a TR6 on low profile Hankooks when they were breaking into the UK market: they were cheap but boy did they stick. They were fab.

31 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

I have Continentals and they are a few bob. I need to sort lower bushes out as I go through fronts very quickly.

There are a few outlets other than the well known ones that do a good price but they are not fitted. A local garage that fits one of the big brands fitted mine for £15 all in and I discovered a great little business I'd use again.

I managed to get a really good nearly new, never repaired for £35 which I admit was lucky.

I'm uneasy about the budget tyres unless your a gentle pootler doing very few gentle miles. Mind you I ran a TR6 on low profile Hankooks when they were breaking into the UK market: they were cheap but boy did they stick. They were fab.

What size rims and tyres are you running on ? I am interested in variations on 17" wheels, in terms of width or profile. II don't want cheap tyres, I want a good brand. Going down to 235 width was suggested, or changing the profile slightly, both of which make the tyres more reasonably priced.  I'm looking for others' experience and views, especially if they have varied the tyres on DHP wheels

I think you hit the nail on the head in your opening post where you said there was only one maker of that particular size of tyre......and of course the manufacturer and retailer know this and can therefore ask basically what they like, take them or leave them.

I would certainly be looking at alternatives with a lower profile it won't make a lot of difference to go from 50 to 55 or 245 to 235 with the 55 series the taller sidewall could even improve driver comfort and the rolling radius would be so slight the speedo would still be accurate.

I am running 235/45/17 Rainsport 3s on mine.

3 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head in your opening post where you said there was only one maker of that particular size of tyre......and of course the manufacturer and retailer know this and can therefore ask basically what they like, take them or leave them.

I would certainly be looking at alternatives with a lower profile it won't make a lot of difference to go from 50 to 55 or 245 to 235 with the 55 series the taller sidewall could even improve driver comfort and the rolling radius would be so slight the speedo would still be accurate.

I am running 235/45/17 Rainsport 3s on mine.

thanks steve, did you change from the original 50 profile and if so was there any noticeable difference? I'm a bit disappointed that most tyre shops I called never suggested deviating from the standard size

I never had the "standard" tyres on mine as it arrived in the U.K. with aftermarket alloy wheels fitted and I've used the same profile with replacements.

If you want to trial fit a couple of rims fitted with 245/45/17s I have to see how they look feel free to pm me.

1 hour ago, harrylime said:

What size rims and tyres are you running on ? I am interested in variations on 17" wheels, in terms of width or profile. II don't want cheap tyres, I want a good brand. Going down to 235 width was suggested, or changing the profile slightly, both of which make the tyres more reasonably priced.  I'm looking for others' experience and views, especially if they have varied the tyres on DHP wheels

I'm on standard 16inch...

Hi, check this for alternative tyre sizes. I was advised not to change the total diameter of your wheel + tyre by greater or less than 2%.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator/

I currently have a toyota avensis (saving up for a ls430).

My tyres are 215/50/17. I got 4 part worns recently and the garage fitted 205/50/17. The car drove horrible. Crashing over bumps and sidewalls stretched to fit the rims as 205 are not wide enough. The wheel + tyre diameter diff in this case was only minus 1.5% yet it was so noticable to me when driving. 

Also note a 235/50 on your car will have a smaller diameter than a 245/50 as the sidewall height of 50 is a percentage of the width 235 or 245 so although they both say 50 the height is actually not the same.

There are other tyre size calculators online worth checking a few as some sugest the best alternative size.

For me i got fed up and took my tyres back and had them replaced with the correct size.

This was just my experience, hope that helps

1 hour ago, Malc said:

don't forget to worry a little about your car insurance validity with non-standard wheels and tyres maybe !

Malc

I thought of the insurance side of things, but in my vehicle handbook it does not even refer to 17" wheels, just 16", so I don't know what they would use as a reference.

I think it's probably quite simple really ............... if it's not with original spec equipment and the insurers aren't advised and accept, then if you ever had the unfortunate need to make a claim then they just might dismiss the claim ...........  if they feel so inclined

Malc

That's  probably a good idea. I'm leaning towards keeping the width the same and changing the profile slightly. Bit reluctant to give insurance companies an excuse to charge me more, but having just checked my other tyres, a couple are showing signs of perishing, I think they were made in 2007. I will need four new tyres , not two so changing the size seems more important now.

Hello Guys.

I have the DHP package on my 2000 LS and found the 245 tyres ridiculously expensive so I went down to 235/50/17. I have had about 4 sets of Falken tyres on the car since I have owned it and I can't really fault them. The Pirelli tyres that were on the car when I bought it were only half worn but they were causing the car to tramline all over the place. Since I have changed to the Falkens I can run the tyres right down to the limit and still feel confident that the car will go where I want it to.

One thing to consider about the profile of the tyres with the DHP package is that if the front springs are starting to get a bit tired then there isn't much clearance between the tyres and the inner wheel arch on full lock so you might want to reduce the profile to give yourself a bit of wiggle room.

I didn't notice any difference in ride comfort by reducing the width of the tyres and no noticeable reduction in grip either.

I hope this helps.

Steve.

Hi Steve

that helps a lot, and I have noticed tramlining with my car. I'm not sure about dropping to 235, but I would have thought that would increase the clearance between wheel and whee larch ? The slight reduction in width also reduces the height of the tyre at the same profile of 50, albeit a very minor amount? 

I use 235/55 x17's on my DHP as this gives the nearest to accurate speedo reading - genuine 70 mph is reading 72/3 depending on tyre wear. I use Falkens and find them very grippy but not long lasting, but I'd rather grip than not. I didn't like the original pirellis at all. 

Pete

I contacted my insurance company and they said that as long as the tyres are road legal they are not bothered. I asked them to send me an email to that effect, being quite cynical and distrustful by nature

• Like 1