Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

gen 3 IS F-sport dash retrofit into gen 2 IS?

el_bandido

Has anyone, anywhere tried this? I think it would be a nice way to freshen up the inside of my 2005 IS250. Had a quick google and found a youtube video of someone having a working unit attached (but not installed) to a gen 2 IS, would be extremely good if it was a relatively straight fit too. 

Doesn't seems to be straight fit, not heard anyone who done it. New dash would not match door panels, so those needs to be adapted as well, instrument cluster won't work without extensive customisation etc. It woudl be real nightmare to do in my opinion.

I am no expert , but, seems like a big task even for the very talented among us . Agree with LINAS, a lot of techy issues and trim. Lots of questions rather than answers but an interesting project non the less!

That is the trickiest part of all, whereas the dash would require some (or rather quite a lot) of basic skills, like gluing stuff and etc. Setting up instrument panel to work will require some "rocket science" - if you manage to fit it physically in first place, making it working is another story. mk3 instruments obviously works from mk3 ECU, mk2 ECU is completely different from mk3 ECU and as such you would literally need design a board which converts mk2 ECU signals into format which mk3 instruments can understand and display. And that is only one problem because engine ECU only provides part of data such as revs, speed, temp maybe few more things like error codes, but you would as well need to do same for several body ECUs which are potentially the same (but might not be) to show you things like open doors, light control ECU to show you what you have selected for main, dipped beam and even indicators.

I am not saying this is not possible, but it is hell of the job and requires few degrees in several different areas - mostly PCB design and software development, it is not like you can simply wire it together like in old car and it works.

I'm not convinced it would be next to impossible, I can't believe the CAN bus information would be that different between the gen 2 and gen 3. Even then, you can use an arduino to inject/translate one CAN bus message to another as an intermediary (I've done it before). The gen 2 IS250 already provides open door information, same for the boot and bonnet, the fuel reading is over the bus as is information like MPG, gear, remaining miles all comes in to the gen 2 dash. The only thing that might cause me a problem is if the toyota BEAN code has changed for something. 99% of this information will be available over the CAN bus, you can read it all using a Bluetooth dongle and an android tablet in my gen 2 IS, you just need to know what messages to look for and what messages the dash unit will be expecting. My only concern is that it's apparently an 8" LCD, which I think might be too big for the clock shroud on the gen 2 IS. 

Ok... so you know what you are talking about - I was just talking hypothetically that data from various body and engine ECU will not be the same and will require advanced skills to convert. If you have skills required to program it via andruido then it sound like interesting project. Good luck... 

Thanks - What I'm really after is the toyota BEAN code information for the gen 2 IS and gen 3 IS. The can bus information is likely to be fairly standard Toyota, but if anyone has that information too that would be ideal. 

MODS - can someone alter the title of this post (or tell me how to) as it isn't the clearest it could be.