Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Try a usa website. I bought stuff for my is250 from the states, even with Post and risk of 30% tax and import it's still often cheaper.

How long have they lasted? Are discs ok for this swap? Noticed a lip appearing on my discs, 18k now.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Soperman said:

Anybody had brake pads fitted to their RC-F recently?

I'm shopping around for prices.

I have lost faith in my local dealer as it would appear they have quoted me replacement pads for a Bugatti Chiron.

How much were they out of interest?

brembo coming up 58 dollars and TRW 121 dollars. Assume per disc. That's what I'd be doing. Even if you then have to pay a local mechanic to fit for you. Even if store won't ship I'd just ask a usa contact to buy and ship for me. Unless can find similar price over here.

brembo P83154N
TRW TPC1440

5 hours ago, Soperman said:

Discs fine.

Pads are original and currently 2mm front and 3-4mm rear after 15,000 miles.

Quoted thus far £1200 including sensors, VAT and fitting.

Lol thats a joke. Wonder why they're so expensive!

Surely they've quoted for discs as well? Which is less of a shock than for people who phone up BMW for a quote to replace their carbon ceramics.

6 hours ago, Comedian said:

Surely they've quoted for discs as well? Which is less of a shock than for people who phone up BMW for a quote to replace their carbon ceramics.

Maybe but then ceramic brakes are expensive anyway - even to have as an option!

Pads down to 2mm front and 3-4mm rear in 15K miles? Have you seen this for yourself or is this what Lexus told you? I only ask because Lexus told me the pads on my ISF were worn out and when my mechanic took them out to replace them (with non Lexus pads) they were only about half worn! Check this before you go any further as it might be just the local stealer trying to gouge you.

Hard to get alternatives in this country as brembo Europe do not seem to even list them for the front, but the US site from an earlier response indicates they are the same as LS 460/600h pads. I think this is worth checking out as that model has been around for a while. I'm certainly not going to be paying £1200 for a set of pads  for my GSF when the time comes. It would almost be cheaper to fly to the US and buy some there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 08ISF said:

Pads down to 2mm front and 3-4mm rear in 15K miles? Have you seen this for yourself or is this what Lexus told you? I only ask because Lexus told me the pads on my ISF were worn out and when my mechanic took them out to replace them (with non Lexus pads) they were only about half worn! Check this before you go any further as it might be just the local stealer trying to gouge you.

Hard to get alternatives in this country as Brembo Europe do not seem to even list them for the front, but the US site from an earlier response indicates they are the same as LS 460/600h pads. I think this is worth checking out as that model has been around for a while. I'm certainly not going to be paying £1200 for a set of pads  for my GSF when the time comes. It would almost be cheaper to fly to the US and buy some there.

If that is the case, then ECP are selling front pads for £85 and rears for £30. I dont doubt you could get them cheaper by sticking in an ECP discount code or copy and pasting the product code into carparts4less. 

On 10/1/2017 at 9:40 AM, Comedian said:

I might be wrong, but carbon discs last quite a lot longer than 10-15k miles, more closer to like 100k on normal use. Agree on the point they pointless for daily driver.

In terms of RC-F I would expect to pay about 1.5/2 more from what standard pads costs because of sensors, but not £1200... not for pads anyway.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, Comedian said:

Surely they've quoted for discs as well?

Nope. Definitely pads only.

Have obtained numerous quotations from various dealers, with comparable results, circa £1100 - £1200.

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, Comedian said:

Is there anything to stop you fitting them yourself?

15000 miles? Normal road use? Yikes.

Yes I could fit them myself, but it is the cost of the pads, not the cost of fitting, that is the issue here.

Predominately gentle road use.  Occasionally the odd but short circuit blast when no one is looking, yet still with measured and  sympathetic braking as it's my own car. But to be honest, the rate of wear does not concern me unduly - again, it is the component cost. 

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, 08ISF said:

Pads down to 2mm front and 3-4mm rear in 15K miles? Have you seen this for yourself or is this what Lexus told you? 

an earlier response indicates they are the same as LS 460/600h pads. 

Didn't see for myself, but completely agree it would be prudent to do so.

From a professional perspective, I am a massive advocate of original, genuine and correct parts for cars, ESPECIALLY braking components in something a bit lively.. I am struggling to see how LS460 pads at £50  might be  the same as RC-F pads at £500, and need to find some time to investigate further. However if that is indeed the case, then somebody at Lexus GB has got a lot of explaining to do.

On 01/10/2017 at 7:20 PM, 08ISF said:

Hard to get alternatives in this country as Brembo Europe do not seem to even list them for the front, but the US site from an earlier response indicates they are the same as LS 460/600h pads. I think this is worth checking out as that model has been around for a while. I'm certainly not going to be paying £1200 for a set of pads  for my GSF when the time comes. It would almost be cheaper to fly to the US and buy some there.

@08ISF Graham yes 'F' pads/discs are extortion at the stealers no doubt about, so as and when you go to the states all of is is-F owners will chip in for your flight costs and you can fill your cases with pads galore 🤗

Big Rat

No car manufacturer makes their own pads or discs but they do set and control the quality of those parts. Buying pads/discs of the same specification from the the OEM  does not mean they will be the same quality as OE.

Personally I think unless one has requirements beyond normal use, i.e. track use, sticking with dealer supplied parts is the preferable option.

• 1 month later...