Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys im new here and would love some advice from you Lexus lovers. Im a private hire taxi driver and for years have always wanted an LS. love the 400's but they are a bit old now for a taxi so been looking at the Ls430 04-06 model. Ive never even been in one let alone driven one yet i know they are amazing cars, comfortable, reliable, great engine and auto box. I guess my concerns are the size of the car, fuel economy (even with LPG), and general running costs. The air suspension is a worry. I currently run a 2008 toyota avensis 2.0 diesel which is a great car with no problems. Everybody is telling me its a crazy idea to get a V8 Lexus as a taxi and their too big etc yet i cant stop looking at them online and telling myself, one day i will have one.

Is it such a crazy idea??

Thanks guys

Hi Graham,

I wanted one for 8 years, but put it off till April this year and like you I spent a long while looking at them on line.   Deferred enjoyment if you will!  It would make a super taxi, but I'd imagine only 20 mpg or less if it's round a city.  Personally not a fan of LPG but I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise.  Air suspension was my  main concern too, but I've chilled about it now.  Also you can get used struts on eBay though a seller in Manchester, so I don't worry about it at all.  Mines an 06 and it's all the car I could wish for and despite it's low MPG (but good for a V8) the overall car makes up for that.  If you did drive one I doubt you'd be disappointed and If you're ever in Sheffield you could have a spin in mine.

Cheers Nick

Graham

First of all having been a taxi driver back in the late 60s I have a intimate knowledge of the requirements of the vehicle.

I can assure you that the LS400 is not old and in terms of the reliable quota it is more reliable than the LS430 it as less that goes wrong.

The issues you will have are more about economy and to all intents and purposes the two models are expensive to operate on fuel as the Mark 4 Lexus 400 and the 430 have the same engine other than an extra 299 ccm .

If you were able to collect premium tariffs for the extra luxury I would go for it but as you are unlikely to circumvent the local authority regs on the tariffs I doubt the use of the cars as a taxi are outweighed by fuel costs. 

But if you want to build up a regular client base who enjoy premium travel and you want go home after a shift not realizing you have been working then go for it.

Hi Nick, thats such a kind offer mate, im quite tempted to drive upto Sheffield just for a quick spin in your lovely motor!. 8yrs is a long time and im glad you took the plunge. Deffered enjoyment haha what a great comment and so true.

Hi ambermarine, personally i dont think the LS400 is too old at all and i would love to own one, its just as a taxi it is difficult to obtain taxi insurance on vehicles of a certain age thats why im leaning towards the 430 maybe 2006 reg. I fully understand the mpg issue is a problem therefore i would have to go LPG. I do see a silver 430 55 reg taxi on lpg wafting around liverpool but i havnt yet had opportunity to talk with the lady driver. I must say the passengers in the back always have a big smile on their face!!

Thanks for your comments guys, if anyone could tell me more about mpg on lpg and rough cost of conversion that would be great.

Graham

There was indeed a forum member who ran an LS400 but had allowed some cowboys to throw in an LPG system and I mean thrown into the car and it never worked from day 1. The only advice I would give is to find yourself, someone, you can trust to do the install, doesn't matter how much you spend on the system if it's not installed correctly you have just thrown your money down the drain. My current LS400 was converted 7/8 years ago and it has never missed a beat.