Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Infinity

Just wondering what people's opinion of infinity cars are. Particularly the Q50 hybrid. How do they compare to the IS or GS.

They seem expensive to buy new but take a big drop in the first year. They are probably quite expensive to insure, tax, run as it is a big engine and the IS is powerful enough for me to waft around in. Just thinking of options when it is time to replace the IS.

I looked at the QX30 before choosing my NX. 

Quality was excellent but I found the interior not quite as plush as the Lexus, although the hybrid saloon Q50 was a significant step up.

A few small things put me off, but mainly as you say initial purchase price and depreciation. They do seem to represent good value at 12-24 months old though once that initial drop has happened. Somehow the Infiniti didn't feel as expensive as the Lexus, and thus I didn't feel justified the price.

They don't have that many dealers either, so location may be a factor.

I thought I'd read somewhere that they share a lot with Mercedes, and that may be a reliability worry - although I doubt a high-end Japanese manufacturer would take a significant reputational risk.

2 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Just wondering what people's opinion of infinity cars are. Particularly the Q50 hybrid. How do they compare to the IS or GS.

They seem expensive to buy new but take a big drop in the first year. They are probably quite expensive to insure, tax, run as it is a big engine and the IS is powerful enough for me to waft around in. Just thinking of options when it is time to replace the IS.

I drove one a while back. Wasn't impressed at all. 

The drivetrain combination is nowhere near as smooth as in the IS or GS - you can tell when its switching from engine to Battery. Additionally, the steering is awful and the interior quality leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't consider one over the equivalent Lexus that's for sure. 

I can't work out how they managed to make the boot so small too. Its like a 3rd gen GS sized boot.

New GS/ES will be coming out next year btw

3 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Just wondering what people's opinion of infinity cars are.

Just personal opinion, but I found interior design ugly - furthermore build interiour quality is made to meet US expectation (crap) and is not match for Lexus. The exterior design is somewhat harder to judge - I like it, I like Lexus RC as well (other people hates it).

In terms of running and insuring the car - it would be no different from Lexus, but you are right - they drop like a stone in value after 1-2 years.

Can only tell you about the Infinity experience...had a EX37 for a while. Car was pretty good although space was a little limited. What let the side down completely was the dealer attitude. Shocking. Plus very pricey for just about everything. So ownership experience was rather a let down. Thankfully someone was picking up the tab so wasn't too painful.

Would actually go back if I could get one on the ultra-cheap as depreciation is staggering :)

6 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Thanks for your opinions. Seems like they are not quite on par with Lexus and a bit expensive for a private buyer.

I want to try the Q60 3.0T to see what its like

IMAG0937.thumb.jpg.62c1b97df3b4b1c969064a0faebccbf2.jpgHi Paul

How about an NX? I've just swapped to one from my RX. Not quite as quick as an IS but plenty of space which I'll need when it's the youngest's turn for uni. 

Chris.

• Like 2

Don't like the NX styling. To fat at the back end and I prefer curves to sharp edges. As for taking the kids to uni. We use the wife's Jazz. Which has a much bigger boot and space in the rear then the IS.

I'll stick with the IS for now.

Thanks

I stopped at the Infinity dealership in Reading some months ago as I was driving past it. While Lexus cars are all about creases and sharp lines, Infinity cars are all about curves and bulges. Personally, I much prefer the Lexus approach: To me, Infinity cars, especially the saloons, are too bland and anonymous.

As for interior, they are not a patch on Lexus. The quality an plushness simply isn't there. It all feels a lot more plasticky and less durable.

I did not have time for a test drive, so cannot comment on what the cars feel on the road.

Looking at Infinity for sale at Motorpoint, LINK HERE, they seem to be selling for under half the new price, at a year old.

Bearing in mind that is Motorpoints retail price, just imagine what you'd be offered as a trade in.

Also, aren't these Nissan, by another name, who are, in turn, now owned by Renault?

Considering these things are chock full of complicated electrics, any connection to Renault would put me off.

your correct infinity are part of nissan who in turn are owned by renault

so thats 2 reasons why not to buy one and the 3rd reason would you spend £40k+ on a renault

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 200h said:

your correct infinity are part of nissan who in turn are owned by renault

so thats 2 reasons why not to buy one and the 3rd reason would you spend £40k+ on a renault

Nope, especially when you're dropping 400 quid a week, at least, in depreciation, assuming the figures I linked to are representative.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 5:08 PM, mikeyv said:

Looking at Infinity for sale at Motorpoint, LINK HERE, they seem to be selling for under half the new price, at a year old.

Bearing in mind that is Motorpoints retail price, just imagine what you'd be offered as a trade in.

Also, aren't these Nissan, by another name, who are, in turn, now owned by Renault?

Considering these things are chock full of complicated electrics, any connection to Renault would put me off.

Worth remembering that Motorpoint sell a lot of imported vehicles from Cyprus etc.

• Thanks 1