Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS220D help

immingham1

kIv had my car about one and half years.bort from totoya Grimsby lexus is220d 2009..

been fine till today.came home on the a180 was doing 60ish then power droped to 55 then 50.i changed gear nothing.it was like been in a high gear?

my foot on and off.it droped under 45mph>>>there was a engine yellow light>>says in book malfunction indicator lamp.it stats electronic engine throttle or auto transmission?? also my park senser green light was on>>on left side of dash??also what looks like the traction light>>>>eney help please as I want go out in the car but don't know if safe to do so>also I just tried it up the road an it seems to drive ok>as was but the lights are still on>>>help please paul m

Edited by immingham1
miss spell

Welcome Paul.

I assume it says 'Check VSC' on the information display?

It sounds like your car went into limp home mode, which would explain the lack of power.

If, after turning the car on and off again, it drives normally then it should be ok if you need to use it for now, although it go into limp home again at any moment.

You would need an OBD2 reader to see what the error code the car has generated.

I don't have one personally, but there are plenty on eBay which should do the job.

Depending on the code, you would then need to see what the best way forward would be.

• Like 1

Thank you shahpor for your help>>>that's what I was thinking it may happen again with the dash lights on?i wanted to go to leeds>the bad part is most the way is M.way

not good if that happens>>I will run it to the garage on Monday>>I will let you know so if others have this prob. it may help them>>thank you again shahpor

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

As Sharpor mentions you really need a diagnostic code read done to point you in the right direction as to the cause.

Common problem is the EGR valve getting clogged up completely, did you notice excessive amounts of exhaust smoke when the speed started dropping?

Hi steve2006>> No did not see>> came to round about been ok befoure>>>>went across to a180 was doing 60ish then droped to 55 50 as went along>>was under 50 in few miles.

a chap in a van to our back carrying a sofa we just bort.i thort it was going to stop>>came home. 20 mins look oil other bits found nothing rong>>started it>the same lights came on.i pressed the park sencer>>the green light went off>>>I drove down the road 1st 2nd bit of 3rd>it seemed ok??? but the dash lights still on?>>>ERG vlave that costs a lot I think?

If it is a clogged EGR valve then it would only need cleaning, not replacing.  It is a simple job and should ideally be done regularly to keep it clean.

The other common cause is a block DPF.  This is more tricky to fix, but there are still some options before it would need replacing.

Once you get the code is should be easier to figure out what to do next.

To be honest with you, if all you do is town driving then a diesel isn't really for you.

In order to stop the EGR valve and DPF getting clogged up they need a good long run once in a while, ideally on a motorway or A road doing over 2000rpm for 15-20 mins or so.  Modern diesels aren't suited to doing only short journeys, so you should prepare for more clogging in the future if that is all you do.

Although, even a petrol car will eventually have issues if all you do is 2 mile trips constantly.

For your car, take it for a blast up a motorway once a week or 2 to keep it happy :smile:

• Like 2