Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rc-f wheels

Just wondering, noticed some small patches of white forming on the polished face. Consistent with aluminium oxidation. Easy to Polish away unless it's under lacquer.

Is this polished face lacquered?

Warranty?

Anyone else?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

If it's white, it's most likely oxidisation under the lacquer. 

Mine had various traces of this when I viewed the car so all four wheels were refurbished by the dealer before I bought the car. You may be able to get it covered under warranty as it shouldn't really be happening on such a new car. 

3 hours ago, Comedian said:

Just wondering, noticed some small patches of white forming on the polished face. Consistent with aluminium oxidation. Easy to Polish away unless it's under lacquer.

Is this polished face lacquered?

Warranty?

Anyone else?

So does it actually polish up or not? 

If it does polish up, more likely to be acid etching or similiar. If it doesn't more likely to be aluminium oxidation as Martin says

Every wheel has 1 or 2 spots. The flash of the camera makes it stand out much more.

What do you think? Covered under corrosion warranty?61984c9cae499dd6879fbd8d04ea68a1.jpg7041d227eb2361e37555683e17b78e70.jpg

4 hours ago, Comedian said:

Every wheel has 1 or 2 spots. The flash of the camera makes it stand out much more.

What do you think? Covered under corrosion warranty?61984c9cae499dd6879fbd8d04ea68a1.jpg7041d227eb2361e37555683e17b78e70.jpg

Thats flipping white worm. Warranty claim for sure and won't polish out. leave it long enough and this happens:

Also whats with the non standard valve caps?

WhiteWorm.jpg

37 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Blimey that looks awful.

No idea on valve cap, not paid much attention to them, what should they be?

Standard valve cap are these:

s-l300.jpg

They match the colour of the valves themselves.

In terms of white worm, yes, better get it sorted sooner than later. 

One of my friends had the Monza wheels on his MK6 GTI - very common problem on those and it went from being pristine to white like the picture above in the space of a few months

I guess previous owner Lost the caps. Least of my worries now!

Thanks for the guidance. Good to be informed before phoning up, will also ask about the rear wheel arch check.

Thank you.

If I get new ones I'm going to remove and coat with something to add protection.

In the past I've use wheel guard - is there a known superior product around for wheel protection?

Must admit to being very impressed with the Williams Ceramic coating on my wheels. What little brake dust settles just rinses off. I clean the wheel each time I clean the car and use Wheel Woolies to get right to the back of the inner surface.

Thanks, that seems like needs to be applied professionally perhaps?

Looking at this one http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/alloy-wheel-sealants/gyeon-q2-rim-coating/prod_1609.html

But also wondering why I can't just use what I use on the bodywork. All these products are starting to say very similar things. And 30ml isn't a lot. I want to do the insides too.

6 Months doesn't seem particularly good? I reckon I got similar on my previous wheels by simply using the Collinite 915 I used on the paintwork. I used to top up with Meg's Last Touch at each washing.

Gtechniq C5 - without a doubt the only wheel coating I would stick on my wheels. 

Having said that, if its happened once, chances are it'll probably happen again, coated or otherwise

Id expect them to give you new wheels for that but they'll stop accommodating after the warranty period.

I saw the g5 and wasn't sure if 30ml would be enough. Any experience of coverage?

If it happens out of warranty I'd just get them power coated a colour that suited the blue.

However, by then a judge might have made me sell it.

I use PoorBoys Wheel Sealant on all my wheels. 

It's not as long lasting as some of the ceramic coatings as it's just a wax, but it definitely makes a difference as wheels are easier to keep clean once coated.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Comedian said:

I saw the g5 and wasn't sure if 30ml would be enough. Any experience of coverage?

If it happens out of warranty I'd just get them power coated a colour that suited the blue.

However, by then a judge might have made me sell it.

Last time I used it, 15ml was good for 4 x 18" wheels face and barrels. Bear in mind it needs curing for around 12 hours though but you should be good for 1-2 years afterwards