Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine light on cannot get codes

V8Rumble

Hi again

Changed distributor caps , rotor arms and leads and car ran okay.

Engine  came on after about twenty miles and car is in limp mode

Tried to get codes by linking TE1 and E1 ports but nothing shows up the engine light stays solid

Any ideas on this one

Isn't it a code reader job on 95 on models?

Regarding the link method make sure you have followed the instructions precisely, transmission in neutral etc, there is a tutorial on lexus.com.

Non of the work you have done would cause the EML light to come on as  spark ignition is not monitored, check to make sure the cam sensor wiring has been redressed correctly when replacing the plastics over the plugs and cam belt as it is easy to get the wiring into contact with the serpentine belt if not careful. Also check all the air intake piping and vacuum piping is securely refitted.

Thanks again for the pointers I will make the checks tomorrow after work before it gets dark.

It is a 95 but has the OBD1 port so probably one of the first ones distributed. I have taken codes with the link before.

Forgot to mention the exhaust is blowing which may/may not have a bearing.

The car will not even tick over now, never ending lol but it had been standing before I bought it.

Just had a top half respray so no turning back now lol.

Could you give me a pointer as to where the cam sensor is please

Hi again

The saga continues.

Went to the car this morning and it started no problem, no engine light but did not idle.

Came to the first junction and it idled spot on.

Drove perfect with no light all the way to work.

Came home and ran a treat with no engine light 

Hmmmmmmmm?

TIM, you will learn from experience with these amazing beasts that they really do have a strange habit of sometimes fixing themselves ...............  ask almost anyone else on here :wink3:

Malc

The cam sensors are located under the 2 plastic covers which fit over the timing belt pulleys and continue over the area where the spark plugs are located, if you look from the front at the sections covering the cam gears you will see a wiring loom coming from each this are the  cam sensor looms, following the wiring to a connector and check for damage as it passes near the serpentine belt

Thanks for the heads up on that Steve will check on my day off Thursday.

Malc the car went into limp home mode after about a mile this morning on the way to work (about three and a half miles). No engine lights on the way home will see what happens tomorrow lol.

Just a quick update on this one.

Hands up I didn't put the car in neutral when trying to lift codes (doh!)

Once in neutral the codes 21 and 28 came up indicating O2 sensors. In a different post I asked about exhaust gaskets which I hope is throwing up the codes and limp home.

Going to fit the gaskets I got from main dealer and see what happens, but I have noticed part of both front pipe flanges have corroded a bit so have bought some fire proof silicone good up to 1200 degrees C.

Fingers crossed will let you know.

The car bought up engine light when first started which I put down to silicone fumes curing. 

Reset ecu once it cooled and car drove great on a short journey. 

Left car for about four hours and tried driving. Engine light on after about a hundred feet and will not go out. 

Tried after car cooled but light still on. 

No codes coming up and cannot clear light by disconnecting Battery

Getting annoying not knowing where to look for problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on this one

Went on holiday for a week after driving to the airport in limp home mode

Came back a week later and car drove home (60 miles) with no engine light and was great.

Next morning after about fifteen seconds light on grrrrrrrr!!

light went on and off at random and has done for about four days.

The good thing was that it threw up two codes 21 and 28

This points to the primary pre cat CO2 sensors.

Before I buy new ones is there any way to check them?

Do they act erratically or just fail?

As usual any help welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the two primary O2 lambda sensors today

Started fine, drove about a mile engine light on then off

Did about ten miles light, on light off, stalling at junctions, idling fine

No codes coming up again

Have bought the capacitors and a good techy mate will be fitting them on the 10th

Hopefully that will cure the problem as I am running out of ideas/options

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Just another update

After changing the O2 sensors the problem persisted on and off for a couple of days

I have been driving engine light free since the start of November

But on New Years day it all started again and having just been out in the car it has decided to idle at 2500rpm

Happy New ****** Year

I haven't located a year specific ecu to do the capacitor change as yet but still looking for one

Finger's crossed on the ECU. If your mate can get them to work then there is a good bit of work out there for older Japanese cars that other ECU places won't touch.