Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, recently and quite suddenly my 99 Ls 400 has started to pull left and feels slightly heavier than usual also it wont self centre steering as it use to. Initially I thought lower ball joints as its made a "clicking" noise when negotiating speed bumps for the last couple of years.  It passed the MOT last month without any advisories and today ive had a look and can`t seem to see any play in any of the joints ! although there was some grease near the base of the boots, I`ve read that joints can seize as well as develop play ??

Not sure on the best plan of action 1) 2x New original Lexus LBJ @£170  2)  2x Firstline @£99  3)Second opinion from decent mechanic (if I can find one !) 

I presume with grease leaking out I should replace anyway?  Any advice much appreciated.

Car has 170k and no increase in rack/pump noise.

Simon

5 hours ago, keybasher2 said:

Any advice much appreciated.

Because the steering is involved I would take it to the nearest Lexus dealer, I'd probably have it towed or transported, guesswork with steering probs are a danger to self & others.

I'd agree that a professional inspection and diagnosis is the recommended option, but as you say finding someone competent and trustworthy is the challenge. 

If grease is leaking from the boot of the ball joint then the boot has been compromised in some way and the whole ball joint should be replaced.

The fact the pulling has happened suddenly should be of real concern and you should have this looked at by a competent mechanic. So many parts can affects it: tie rods inner/outer, upper/lower arms, power steering pump and steering rack and bushes, steering column wear  etc.

Simon

There are other factors to consider on this scenario you could have a sticking caliper check if the side that is pulling is getting hotter than the opposite side after a run ,check the tyre pressures look at the treads on the tyre check for uneven wear.

Then take it to a trusted garage and get the steering components looked at.

58 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

The fact the pulling has happened suddenly should be of real concern

Thats what I thought as well as it should not be driven, for the safety of others if not ones self.

If's, but's & maybe's are all very well in the privacy of ones own space but not in the general public arena

Took car to garage who have the Hunter 4 wheel alignment gear. The mechanic/mot tester guy gave the suspension and steering a good look over and could only find a tiny bit of play in the nrearside LBJ. Probably should have waited till ball joint fitted but had alignment checked and adjusted on there Hunter 4 wheel system while I was there.

My partners been driving the LS and I`ve been driving a mk1 Focus St and maybe overreacted to the pulling/centering of the Lexus having not driven it for a while. LS seems a bit better after the adjustments and have been assured the wheel(s) aren`t imminently going to fall off !!  which was nice :yahoo:

20171003_152539.thumb.jpg.2134a19d565f03e170a065bac52fcab1.jpg59d3ce29103da_20171003_181020new.thumb.jpg.fb51177e7aaa64eabc877bbb867cf2ca.jpg

Due to seized fittings and not able to use heat as would damage bush on rear.  Was explained as near as could get as ran out of adjustment !!  Maybe the machine is a little more accurate than the adjustment allows on a 18 year old car ? Hope the settings aren`t a clog out.

Simon

I have to say that an explanation including the words cannot adjust sounds like bull**** to me this is exactly what the clown in Barnstaple said and was sorely proved wrong .

There is no point in spending good money on alignment testing and getting off the premises with no adjustments when there is obviously some needed.

These machines are a waste of money if they are not acting on the results they give.

I've worked on freeing suspension on loads of older cars and it can take hours and hours if the bolts are frozen. Heating, banging, putting my entire body weight on extension bars...can be a really horrible job. Then you find when the bolts are free they turn the remains of a bush and you need to replace the whole lot.  Not surprised the alignment place did a limited alignment.

Anyway, Plusgas is much better than WD40 for freeing frozen bolts, if you are mad enough to try this at home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

I've worked on freeing suspension on loads of older cars and it can take hours and hours if the bolts are frozen. Heating, banging, putting my entire body weight on extension bars...can be a really horrible job. Then you find when the bolts are free they turn the remains of a bush and you need to replace the whole lot.  Not surprised the alignment place did a limited alignment.

Anyway, Plusgas is much better than WD40 for freeing frozen bolts, if you are mad enough to try this at home.

Good shout Phil ,I`ve done a few hours on seized nuts and bolts and sorry Steve but a squirt of wd sometimes won`t do it !  Pete,who did the job spent two and a half hours at it,he did explain something about one setting affecting the other so aligning can be a compromise to a certain extent.      

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick word on ball joints. I had a honda accord which developed stiff steering which wouldn't self center recently. Also had a slight clunk sometimes but I disregarded ball joints to my peril as I'd had them replaced withing a year. One evening as I pulled into my drive the front left ball joint exploded collapsing the suspension and smashing a drive shaft. I was fortunately only doing about 2mph but had been on the dual carriageway 5 mins earlier. Get it checked by a pro and don't buy cheap ball joints!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt1986 said:

Also had a slight clunk sometimes but I disregarded ball joints to my peril as I'd had them replaced withing a year. One evening as I pulled into my drive the front left ball joint exploded collapsing the suspension and smashing a drive shaft. I was fortunately only doing about 2mph

Very informative post, thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links