Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is it just me that thinks the concept of having a service after a certain number of miles is a bit daft? Even though my odometer may have moved 10,000 forward since the last service the engine hasn't been running all that time! Surely it would be better to have a service after a certain number of hours of running instead? Am sure that the technology could cope with that!

• Like 1

I believe it's as much the number of starts that matter, not just the number of running hours. The types of journeys, average speed all come into play. 

A car covering just 5k miles a year in short stop-start journeys probably has as much 'wear' as a 20k mile per year motorway muncher.

In my previous Accord maintenance system was dynamic. It means the car was telling you when you need to change the oil based on many parameters. So sometimes it was every 8k and sometimes every 12k. That system was also covering different   parts too - like filters, gearbox oil, plugs etc. It was very convenient and clever. 

I was surprised that Toyota/Lexus don't have it.

My old s class had flexible servicing to, and it seemed to work a joy. Watching the miles left vs driven was a joy, hoof it around and it dropped 2 or 3 miles, per mile. Steady motorway and you could get 2 miles covered per mile reduced from servicing. Likewise a day of stop starts took off more than covered by a good chunk.

And that was a 2001 car, but they ditched it and went to fixed service again, quoted to be for piece of mind and client comfort, although I suspect cash was a driver as most of the big cars were mile munchers.